aabattery

Weekend Thread | Asgard sneaks up on p.24 ~ H2018 28, ASIB 8.1, V 7.9 GB2 4.4,FM 3.7

This is a great opening for a movie like this!  Dunno why people expected CBM numbers.  This is a good horror movie with a lot of nostalgia, but without that viral grab that something like IT has.  You need that to really get the younger demos.  The horror aspect is also not gonna satisfy what many of the Conjuring series fans look for

• Like 1

BOP predictions and TCs: https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-spider-man-spider-verse-mortal-engines-mule-second-act/

Spider-Verse: 22/90

The Mule: 14/80

Mortal Engines: 16/55

Second Act: 10/40

All the November 9 releases, Hunter Killer, and Nobody's Fool were downgraded.

Bohemian Rhapsody: 3,400

The Nutcracker: 3,300

Nobody's Fool: 2,000

That's a pretty low TC for The Nutcracker by Disney's standards.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gravestonedt said:

I bombed the derby pretty fucking bad with my Halloween prediction.  I was settling for 75 and then I put it at 76 OW the last minute.  With the deflated previews relative to Deadline's 8-10, Halloween is looking to limp to 70 million.  

62.3 + 7.7 = 70.0  

“Limp”? Lol

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

#NotARecord

People keep using #NotARecord? 

Really? 

Um, it’s the biggest slasher opening weekend of all time, maybe even adjusted. 

I think people just pumped themselves up too much,  even Deadline did. 10mil didn't sound right to me last night. Especially with people reporting that their screenings were nowhere as full as IT's. So it had great previews but 10mil would have been IT levels with IMAX included. 7.7mil is terrific and nothing to be ashamed of or disappointed by though. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

BOP predictions and TCs: https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-spider-man-spider-verse-mortal-engines-mule-second-act/

BOP must be on something if they think Spider-Verse will only do $90m domestic,

34 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

wow, I'm legit disappointed in that Spider-Verse number, I was hoping it would be twice that size

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

1 minute ago, kitik said:

wow, I'm legit disappointed in that Spider-Verse number, I was hoping it would be twice that size

SMH (~335) > Venom + Spiderverse if pro.BO's 90 odd sticks.

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Hey, remember when their long range tracking for Venom came out, and it was only 40/85?

And then after people said they were way too low they upped it to 65/135 just four days later?

Same thing going on here? Why do they hate Sony's Spidey movies? This one even has a whole ton of Spidey's actually in it!

• Like 1

People on here are way over predicting the Spiderverse movie but that 90mil forecast is too low. I think the appeal of Superhero adaptions is them being in live action so I don't see Spiderverse doing as well as even the worst grossing live action Spidey movie. The Incredibles is not an adaption. 

35 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

“Limp”? Lol

Halloween's Thursday 7.7 figure averaged 260 purchases per venue

double that to 520 today, or

go 2.5x Thursday capacity to get 650 purchases per venue Friday

which translates 18.93 - 23.67

+ 7.7 in previews

500-700 people per theater at Halloween gives like 1 sold out 7pm show + 1 full capacity thereafter w/ expanded shows.

with 8-10 million expected with Thursday previews, and only getting 260 purchases per afterwards, just doubling Thursday night madness to Friday and getting around 60ish on the weekend seems like a fail on paper and could deflate expectations going forward with other pent-up demand classic openers like this.  

I expect more of the rural parts of the nation will be getting to this on Saturday and Sunday so hopefully there is a small Saturday bump.

• Like 1

Look, I want Spider-Verse to be a smash hit too, but it's still coming out in a packed frame, the Spider-Man brand's been pretty oversaturated lately, it carries an art style that's not gonna appeal to everyone, and generally action animation doesn't result in success, unless comedy is played heavily into the marketing (see both Incredibles movies, Big Hero 6)

• Like 2