aabattery

Weekend Thread | Asgard sneaks up on p.24 ~ H2018 28, ASIB 8.1, V 7.9 GB2 4.4,FM 3.7

33 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Look, I want Spider-Verse to be a smash hit too, but it's still coming out in a packed frame, the Spider-Man brand's been pretty oversaturated lately, it carries an art style that's not gonna appeal to everyone, and generally action animation doesn't result in success, unless comedy is played heavily into the marketing (see both Incredibles movies, Big Hero 6)

Exactly...pending reviews, which could totally change the game, it's probably the 2nd choice for supers fans (behind Aquaman), the 3rd choice for families (behind Mary Poppins and Aquaman - it could even be 4th, but I don't wanna give Bumblebee too much credit), and probably even the 2nd choice for animation fans (since many of them might still be catching up with the November openers, and supers animation just doesn't hit it big like other movies - see Teen Titans Go)...and then you can break it down to demographics (over/under 25 and male vs female), and I still don't see it as choice #1 for anyone...

Now, at Christmas, you don't have to be choice #1 to make money...but you can't be further down than choice #2/3 for too may demos and expect to make a huge sum...when you are #3/4, you are looking at good totals, not great ones...

PS - And Tom Holland is a killer to this movie...every time he's out and about, people will wonder why he's not in this movie b/c so many love him as Spidey...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hence, rival distributors are figuring the David Gordon Green directed slasher plays roughly akin to the B.O. trajectory of The Nun and It. 

giphy.gif

OCTOBER RECORD IS HAPPENING BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

At 12:30pm west coast time?! Looks like deadline hasnt learned their lesson from their Thursday night prediction flub! They'll probably knock it down to $67M-$70M once estimates comes in! 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Funny that Deadline is still hedging bets saying if "later tonight" doesn't happen, it gets back to the 60s...I guess they got burned predicting normal horror late night walk ups last night, so now they are hedging in case walk ups do the same thing tonight...

"Worst case scenario, if tonight shows something significantly lower (which many aren’t expecting), like in the $60M-range over 3-days, "

I mean, no offense to Deadline, but having that huge a hedge is like being a worthless predictor...

Edited by TwoMisfits

People always freak out over Thursday numbers. You have to see how the actual weekend plays out. There are literally 3 other days for the rest of a weekend. Numbers from like 5 hours of showtimes are not predictive of how a movie is going to play out over the course of a weekend. 

• Like 1