sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

If it weren't for Black Panther Venom would be the number one over performing comic book movie of the year. 800+mil? Just crazy numbers. Even crazier solely thanks to China. It just goes to show you that nobody knows nothing.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

BOX OFFICE.COM

In the scheme of 2018 animated releases, The Grinch now boasts the second-highest opening weekend of the year after Disney’s Incredibles 2, which took in a record-breaking $182.6 million back in JuneAdditionally, it set an opening weekend record for a Christmas film (not adjusting for inflation), besting the last Grinch‘s $55.4 million debut.

https://pro.boxoffice.com/box-office-grinch-girl-spiders-web-overlord/

Predictions for next weekend:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: 75M

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch: 36M

Bohemian Rhapsody: 20.1M

Widows: 18M

Instant Family: 17M

Overlord: 5.6M

A Star Is Born: 5.4M

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: 4.8M

The Girl in the Spider's Web: 3.6M

Nobody's Fool: 2.9M

Gonna be interesting to see if ASIB can hold onto the #6 spot.

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

What is your definition of domestic success, though? Beating its production budget? TGWTDT did that as well (unless you count the alleged 120M with participations included as the real production budget that Sony hid from the world, which is probably the right thing to do; and if that's your point, then point taken). Doubling it? Neither film did that, nevermind making a profit DOM alone. If anything, that would make Lion her biggest hit ever in America (51.7M DOM on a 12M budget). Beating it by a high margin? Lion did 4.3x its budget DOM alone, Nightmare didn't even make 2x. My original interpretation, when you said hit, was "her highest grossing film ever", which probably ends up being her most popular film ever by default as well, even if it wasn't particularly successful.

And also, Dragon Tattoo a high profile failure? I mean, yeah it was flop, it lost Sony around 11M according to the leaks, but that is hardly a huge flop by any means. To me, a high profile failure is something that lost at least around 50M, especially if it's more than that.

I’m not saying it’s a gigantic flop, but the director, the cast, that trailer, Christmas release. It was obviously supposed to be a part 1 of three films and the others didn’t get made. 

2 hours ago, Hejira said:

Give me a break... so now an actress can't dislike a trash project just because there were other people who fought for the part? It's not like her Elm Street co-stars Jackie Earle Haley and Kyle Gallner have since become A-listers now thanks to the Elm Street remake. Even Mara's bit part in The Social Network is more iconic than the entire Elm Street movie.

Nooo you misunderstood. It’s not that she trashed it. She said she didn’t want the role but still auditioned, said “fuck I just got that role” and still did the film. 

17 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Leaning more towards...$60M-65M myself. Fantastic Beasts opened to $74M and that had considerably more hype. Just not feeling it here. We'll see.

I think it'll open around the level of the first and only do a 2.5-2.6x. The GA is gonna hate it.

Defending Dragon Tattoo's box office is silly. It didn't do well enough for that giant budget nor did it live up to massive amounts of media hype. It scared Sony so much that they didn't make a sequel and instead opted to make an ill conceived half ass reboot for half of the price of the first. I've seen people defending Dragon Tattoo's box office for years and it's just silly to argue with facts at this juncture. The film did not do okay. It way under performed expectations. Period. Gone Girl, less than 3 years later, did better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Another big sequel I'm also not feeling? Creed 2

Opens in, what, 2 weeks and where is the hype (especially compared to when Creed dropped this time in 2015)?

The hype is there, it's tracking very well especially with African Americans.  Should match the opening of Creed, if not surpass it.