Kalo

2020 Box office discussion

37 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Lord Miller Animation

Honestly don’t think The Mitchells vs The Machines will go over HT1 numbers.

38 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Vivo

I think that’ll do at least Trolls Numbers due to Lin especially if the music is good.

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Frankly, next year is refreshing without so many MCU movies. villaneuve, nolan etc are more exciting

It's legit only one less lol

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I think people are sleeping on the Venom sequel. that one is also a billion contender.

Would be hilarious if Venom 2 was the highest grossing film of 2020. It does have room to grow in the more traditional markets and DOM but I can't imagine it making much more than the first did in China though should be around same level. 

• Like 1

To be honest I’m most excited for the potentially new franchise starters like Free Guy, Tenet, Dune, and Jungle Cruise.

2020 might be the year we get some strong originals.

• Like 4

How well Tenet does I guess depends on whether this is more action focused like Inception. 

I don't think Interstellar and Dunkirk came close to Inception's mainstream appeal, even if Inception required a whole lot of explanation to the audience, it still featured plenty of action thrills that Interstellar and Dunkirk didn't have.

The description for Tenet does seem more Inception than Dunkirk or Interstellar so I would casually guess between Interstellar and Inception for now, 700m WW let's say.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Alli said:

i'm glad Avatar got moved. you stans would have made this thread about avatar only. there are other movies you know.   anything you're excited about next year?

Imagine talking about the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time on the Box Office Theory forums, you would have to be a clown to do that!

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

23 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Honestly don’t think The Mitchells vs The Machines will go over HT1 numbers.

I think that’ll do at least Trolls Numbers due to Lin especially if the music is good.

I was just going over limited info on both, didn’t realize Vivo was the Lin one

• Like 1

The only thing on the schedule with a good chance of 400+ DOM is WW1984 and the only things with a good chance of $1b WW are Fast 9 and I guess maybe Minions 2 and Bond 25? Though even then I’d argue all of these movies have the potential to miss those marks and aren’t even locks. The holiday schedule is an absolute wasteland. Gigantic missed opportunity Cameron couldn’t have Avatar ready, it probably would have had a chance to be as big as the first with no competition. 

49 minutes ago, Alli said:

Frankly, next year is refreshing without so many MCU movies. villaneuve, nolan etc are more exciting

2019 = 3

2020 = 2

1 less is so many less?

And since when is 3 movies a year so many? Thats just like 2% of wide releases in a year, less than 1% if you count all hollywood releases. 

21 minutes ago, TMP said:

Black Widow and Eternals could do $400m dom too.

D'oh, forgot the MCU films aren't officially on the schedule yet. Looks like they could be in a good position to dominate the year again if the quality with those films is there. If CM made what it did, I'd have to believe a good BW movie would be an easy bil. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

2019 = 3

2020 = 2

1 less is so many less?

And since when is 3 movies a year so many? Thats just like 2% of wide releases in a year, less than 1% if you count all hollywood releases. 

the hype was too big for those movies. I think next year we have other things to get excited about....in terms of blockbusters

One film that I'm starting to believe in more and more is Artemis Fowl. I personally believe that the move from this August to next April was a very smart move. Without big heavy hitters, Disney will be able to have much more of a focus on this film's marketing. I can see it reaching $100M now, and it could certainly reach much more than that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

2019 = 3

2020 = 2

1 less is so many less?

To be fair Black Widow and The Eternals don’t seems as big as say Captain Marvel, Endgame, Infinity War or Black Panther.