Kalo

2020 Box office discussion

Just now, cdsacken said:

....I'm not discrediting the film I said 800 minimum. Inside Out was incredible and China failed on that film IMO. My point was they don't like every great film. Some awesome ones just don't work, that one included.

I hope you are correct. It needs to be marketed heavily there.

I am just hoping. Too early to make calculated predictions. Let us see how buzz is like 3 weeks to release when we get early tracking and PS start.

I am sure we will get early reviews for this movie as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am just hoping. Too early to make calculated predictions. Let us see how buzz is like 3 weeks to release when we get early tracking and PS start.

I am sure we will get early reviews for this movie as well.

In China, Inside Out didn’t connect as Coco nailed it as the themes of family drove it home. If Onward has a family theme similar it can nail it there.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:16 AM, JB33 said:

The untitled Pixar film for June 19. 2020 still hasn't been announced. Anyone think Onward will end up moving there?

Don't see why they would do that. Cars 3 released during a similar spot next to Wonder Woman and underperformed.

Wonder Woman 1984 needs to move up to the first weekend of May/last weekend of April summer opening tentpole release date. Looks highly unlikely the May 1st Marvel movie happens and even if it does, who knows what it will be. 

15 minutes ago, Alli said:

Why would WW2 move> It performed beautifully in this same spot two tears ago. The release date is perfect

The summer opening spot is obviously better than early June when final exams and other things come into play. On a bigger level, someone needs to show Disney they won't have unchallenged control over the release date schedule. Wonder Woman 2 opening a month after Black Widow would not do Wonder Woman any favors.

Only way to reach Wonder Womans potential - move the release date up. Undercut Disney and establish some dominance

• Like 1

Wiki shows an untitled Pixar film on the schedule for June. That can't be true right? Horrendous decision if so, Onward will still be in the late legs of its box office run.

Also, Onward or Mulan really need to move. Really stupid for what could be two of the top 5 movies of the year owned by the same studio to release right by each other in such a low key schedule year overall. 

45 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The summer opening spot is obviously better than early June when final exams and other things come into play. On a bigger level, someone needs to show Disney they won't have unchallenged control over the release date schedule. Wonder Woman 2 opening a month after Black Widow would not do Wonder Woman any favors.

Only way to reach Wonder Womans potential - move the release date up. Undercut Disney and establish some dominance

UEFA Euro Football championship will also depress box-office in many parts of europe (key markets for Wonder Woman). Yeah, June isn't a good date for Wonder Woman 1984.

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Wonder Woman 1984 needs to move up to the first weekend of May/last weekend of April summer opening tentpole release date. Looks highly unlikely the May 1st Marvel movie happens and even if it does, who knows what it will be. 

It’s better off in June 2020 imho, less competition, stronger summer legs.

57 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, Onward or Mulan really need to move. Really stupid for what could be two of the top 5 movies of the year owned by the same studio to release right by each other in such a low key schedule year overall. 

If I were Disney, I’d move Mulan to Christmas and Cruella to April cause Cruella will die no matter what.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

UEFA Euro Football championship will also depress box-office in many parts of europe (key markets for Wonder Woman). Yeah, June isn't a good date for Wonder Woman 1984.

European Championship start June 12

Bad Boys For Life: $35M/$90M

The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle: $15M/$45M

Birds of Prey: $85M/$250M

Peter Rabbit 2: $25M/$90M

Kingsman The Great Game: $35M/$85M

Sonic: $30M/$80M

Bloodshot: $10M/$25M

The Call of the Wild: $20M/$70M

Fantasy Island: $35M/$125M

Onward: $105M/$375M

Godzilla vs. Kong: $70M/$200M

I Still Believe: $20M/$100M

A Quiet Place 2: $55M/$160M

GI Joe: Snake Eyes: $15M/$50M

Mulan: $85M/$245M

New Mutants: $8.5M/$20M

Bond 25: $75M (five day)/$170M (Annapurna = death)

Trolls World Tour: $40M/$130M

Black Widow: $105M/$275M

Scooby: $30M/$100M

Fast and Furious 9: $90M (4 day)/$195M

The Spongebob Movie: It's A Wonderful Sponge: $35M (4 day)/$85M

Artemis Fowl: $17M/$50M

Wonder Woman 1984: $140M/$430M

Candyman: $30M/$100M

Davidson/Apatow: $30M/$110M

Untitled Pixar: $65M/$220M

In the Heights: $60M/$200M

Top Gun: Maverick: $30M/$85M

Free Guy: $65M/$185M

Minions 2: $60M/$190M

Ghostbusters: $30M/$75M

Tenet: $55M/$205M

Jungle Cruise: $90M/$305M

Morbius: $40M/$115M

The One and Only Ivan: $25M/$90M

The Conjuring 3: $65M/$135M

Mitchels V Machines: $45M/$150M

Venom 2: $85M/$225M

Death on the Nile: $30M/$115M

The Witches: $25M/$75M

The Eternals: $130M/$385M

Vivo: $50M/$180M

Clifford The Government Expirement Dog: $25M/$100M

Red Notice: $30M/$90M

Timothee Chalamet's Dune: $55M/$125M

Coming 2 America: $25M/$125M

West Side Story: $45M/$260M

Croods 2: $30M (5-Day)/$95M

Cruella: $35M (5-Day)/$105M

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wiki shows an untitled Pixar film on the schedule for June. That can't be true right? Horrendous decision if so, Onward will still be in the late legs of its box office run.

While I don't think it's a horrendous situation I do think it's interesting that Disney is having Pixar releasing multiple films again next year when it hasn't worked out the first two times they've tried. Meanwhile the one time WDAS did in 2016 both Zootopia and Moana were successes. 

You know a certain MCU fanboy whinnied today about us underestimating the MCU and I agree. I can see The Eternals winning the year with a real good shot at Captain Marvel Numbers as the lack of big films will help it gains some solid legs as well as potentially the first LGBT superhero.

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

While I don't think it's a horrendous situation I do think it's interesting that Disney is having Pixar releasing multiple films again next year when it hasn't worked out the first two times they've tried. Meanwhile the one time WDAS did in 2016 both Zootopia and Moana were successes. 

Even in the past it was spotty:

2002: Stitch (hit) and Treasure Planet (flop)

2000: F2000 (flop), Dinosaur (underperforms) and TENG (underperform)

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Even in the past it was spotty:

2002: Stitch (hit) and Treasure Planet (flop)

2000: F2000 (flop), Dinosaur (underperforms) and TENG (underperform)

Well true but that was during one of the lowest times for Disney Animation. Generally I guess it's just hard with the amount of time and effort Pixar and Disney put into their films to release more than one a year. Pumping multiple films a year is what led to DreamWorks' dminishing returns anyways.

• Like 1