Eric Prime

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

9 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

Feel sorry for any comic book movie coming out after this. This movie is about to set the bar again.

I expect it to be great too but it's not like a fair amount super successful comic book movies didn't come after Into the Spider-Verse. We might be on the verge of three very good superhero movies in a row. Guardians is going for a 3+ OW DOM multiplier off a 118.4M OW DOM. Spider-Verse is on the verge of exploding. And, Flash, while it may not open quite as big as initially hoped, should definitely have good legs especially with summer days in the US just truly starting when it opens. It gets Father's Day/Juneteenth it's opening weekend then the 4th of July week directly after it's 3rd weekend.

10 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What's up with a lot people predicting Spider-Verse to not have a 3+ multiple of it's OW DOM? I'm sure it'll be a bit frontloaded but I can't imagine it not a least managing just over a 3 unless it opened insanely big... 

The spider-verse movies have so far proven to literally be as close to a perfect CBM series as possible from both a critical and audience reception. ATSV is likely going to be the best received blockbuster this year. If this movie cannot manage strong legs there's literally no hope for a better BO performance out of this franchise

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Like 1

This review is crazy

Great energy for recent American movies.

It prove anime can go beyond the limitation and bring fresh things with the concept even though we've seen in Dr. Strange 2 or A24's Everything Everywhere.

It has way bigger ambitions that sequel movies usually have. And it delivers.

Great entertainment for young people but no lack of emotion.

There is no cliche characterization. Kids, teenagers, adults will see themselves from Miles.

Villain is pretty good and surprising.

People will see almost every animation style in this movie. And it helps the storytelling.

Only one disadvantage.

Spoiler

End like Dune. But you will forgive it and wait Beyond the Spider-Verse.

• Astonished 2

23 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What's up with a lot people predicting Spider-Verse to not have a 3+ multiple of it's OW DOM? I'm sure it'll be a bit frontloaded but I can't imagine it not a least managing just over a 3 unless it opened insanely big... 

I'm hesitant flat project it because it may play more like a CBM, and the list of those that to got 3x OW is incredibly small. With that said, being more family friendly and expected good WOM, with some competition but (apparently) not a true gauntlet following it, is certainly quite possible

I'm still on board with it outgrossing GOTG3 (which would probably mean winning summer), but its not at all a sure thing

• Like 1

It's animated and has Summer weekdays so I think it can get 3x legs. The list of well-received animated movies under 3x is incredibly short.

However, I think competition may limit it. Not a great release date, in between Guardians and Flash. 

• Like 1