AdamKendall

Weekend Thread 12/28-12/30 AQM 51.5 MPR 28 BB 20.5 ITSV 18.3

I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall, but I'm just gonna give some defenses out real quick.

Could Poppins and Bumblebee be doing better? Yes. Can they be viewed in the lens of being disappointments? Sure. But it's still important to recognize that these movies are still doing solid regardless. We may have overestimated Poppins, but it's seeing strong business. Good reviews, awards potential for Blunt, 200M+ gross. It's likely to finish at around 450M WW, possibly even 500M. Off a 130M budget, that's great. Even including marketing budgets, it's still likely to be profitable, especially since musicals get a lot of revenue from soundtrack sales and streaming. It's frustrating that people are still putting their heads in the sand because I made a stupid club and a lot of people agreed with what I had to say.

And sure, Bumblebee's not doing amazing business, but was anyone really expecting it to? Apart from being a spin-off, it's coming off a slew of mediocre to bad installments. Age of Extinction suffered domestically due to these bad movies, while The Last Knight was practically rejected. Bumblebee was going to suffer the consequences no matter what. I haven't paid much attention to its international returns, but it should also make at least $350M, right? With a lower budget, this will see profits, but more importantly, good reviews will ensure better trust in the brand. What matters at this point is a good movie and, at worst, okay box office returns. I doubt the next Transformers movie will see a TDK explosion, but this is more importantly course correction, and will lead to potential increases for the upcoming sequel.

So to all the people spouting doom and gloom here, could you do the forum a favor and please look at the glass half full for once? Just stop, smell the roses, and look at what the playing field is.

I would say this will be my last post talking about this, but...I have my doubts people will listen.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

Lets not go crazy and pretend that the jump between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight is based purely on an increase in quality that the general audience noticed. The Dark Knight's take was inflated in large part by two factors: 1) Curiosity in the first new appearance by a villain with very deep pop culture roots in the Joker. 2) The death of one of the young leading actors in Heath Ledger, which is the same reason one of the Fast and Furious movies busted through the $1bil mark when all the previous entries were within the same general range. Considering Bumblebee is a prequel, the only character that could possibly fill in for #1 would be Megatron and we've already seen it. And God forbid #2 happens again.

This isn't about the increase - it's about the fact that TDK actually got made in the first place, building on a well-received movie which was meant to do just that, fix the franchise. Judging by the reaction to Bumblebee (which could end up higher WW on a smaller budget) from some people, you'd think it's an unmitigated disaster and the franchise is dead - again. 

Besides, the acronyms are the same, so the analogy works.

The Decepticon Knight will be the sequel. 

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

These threads would be greatly improved if we all remembered we actually don’t know shit about the inner workings of any of this. 

Stop making sense, Tele. It doesn’t contribute to the convo at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Batman Begins was better received than Bumblebee and did really well on home video (back then movies could still make loads of money on home video) 

And what’s your point? I didn’t say Bumblebee was better recieved than Batman Begins did I? It’s still a very well recieved movie. And we have no idea what Bumblebee’s home video sales will be like soooooo 

But honestly now I know why so many posters leave this forum. If a movie isn’t a CBM that does $300M+ domestic it’s deemed a failure and a flop by obnoxious fanboys who don’t realize that the film industry is so much more than just CBM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, boyamama said:

lol i bet every name u mention actually don't have fanbase ....

You would bet how much Twilight with is near midnight fanbase event box office record didn't had a fanbase ?

The fact you would think that of those property just show how different (and less eager to engage in fights on the Internet over movies) some fanbase can be versus others fanbase.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

And what’s your point? I didn’t say Bumblebee was better recieved than Batman Begins did I? It’s still a very well recieved movie. And we have no idea what Bumblebee’s home video sales will be like soooooo 

But honestly now I know why so many posters leave this forum. If a movie isn’t a CBM that does $300M+ domestic it’s deemed a failure and a flop by obnoxious fanboys who don’t realize that the film industry is so much more than just CBM

sure it might increase but they will probably do a Days of Future Past and make it closer to the original movies 

The fact Bumblebee is a spin-off/prequel/reboot of a series that died with its last movie and is looking to come close to making as much as that franchise killer (considering all of the above tend to do less than the actual franchise movies) will make Paramount more than happy.

James Wan should stick to milking the Conjuring universe. Aquaman sucks. The worst part: buried somewhere under the trite storyline, poor performances, bad dialogue, cheap wigs, garish costumes, shoddy underwater effects and laughable use of Pitbull music was a good movie. He just couldn't find it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 8
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You would bet how much Twilight with is near midnight fanbase event box office record didn't had a fanbase ?

The fact you would think that of those property just show how different (and less eager to engage in fights on the Internet over movies) some fanbase can be versus others fanbase.

oh i agree they can versus each other..didn't i said there's pro and con in every fanbase..basically there's a peaceful and troll in every fanbase....

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

James Wan should stick to milking the Conjuring universe. Aquaman sucks. The worst part: buried somewhere under the trite storyline, poor performances, bad dialogue, cheap wigs, garish costumes, shoddy underwater effects and laughable use of Pitbull music was a good movie. He just couldn't find it. 

OMG stop..is this the 100 times ur hate post about how sucks AQUAMAN is ??...lol ..should u wait till it hit 1 billion and then u can rest in peace ???:Gaga:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ralph will definitely come close enough to $200M that Disney will push it past the mark.

I wonder if @xxoo thinks The Grinch still has a shot at $300M.

Disney shouldn't need to push - it's current pace is quite close to Coco and it will have an extra holiday day with this calendar

Dec 29–31 6 $7,461,740 +38.6% 2,104 -7 $3,546 $179,834,199 6
Dec 29–Jan 1 6 $10,083,054 +87.3% 2,104 -7 $4,792 $182,455,513 6
  • Thanks 1