Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

MI3 was a troubled production that took eons to get made and went through multiple directors and even cast were fired. That released at nadir of Cruise popularity and had disappointing box office relative to budget(and all marketing costs). So this is not unique. I was absolutely shocked at its BO after seeing it in its OW. Movie was fantastic and held back for other reasons. It took a while for MI4 to get going and Cruise was trying other things in the interim. He tried low scale movie like Lion for Lambs which bombed badly(Knight and Day in 2010 also flooped badly). Supporting role in Tropical Thunder and Valkyrie release during christmas holidays was sort of comeback until MI4 in late 2011. Even that movie was not about big opening. It just had phenomenal WOM and played really well through the holidays. In fact it was among early movies to release 2 days early just for Imax if I am not wrong.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

MI3 was a troubled production that took eons to get made and went through multiple directors and even cast were fired. That released at nadir of Cruise popularity and had disappointing box office relative to budget(and all marketing costs). So this is not unique. I was absolutely shocked at its BO after seeing it in its OW. Movie was fantastic and held back for other reasons. It took a while for MI4 to get going and Cruise was trying other things in the interim. He tried low scale movie like Lion for Lambs which bombed badly(Knight and Day in 2010 also flooped badly). Supporting role in Tropical Thunder and Valkyrie release during christmas holidays was sort of comeback until MI4 in late 2011. Even that movie was not about big opening. It just had phenomenal WOM and played really well through the holidays. In fact it was among early movies to release 2 days early just for Imax if I am not wrong.  

TDKR prologue was attached to MI4 imax prints , so Nolan revived and killed MI

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

It was a whole week early they did the Imax excluisive. It worked out really well and it really built the buzz and WOM. 

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I really don't understand $290M budget. If JW4 could do with just $100M, how did they spend that much?

Covid restrictions, fight on top of an actual moving train, riding a motorcycle off a cliff, collapsing trains, BAD PLANNING, Tom Cruise Salary Increase, etc. Feel free to add more. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I can understand the odd comment about a movie and actor you don't like but when you spend all day and night for months thinking and commenting about a movie or actor you don't even enjoy it's just unhealthy. Can't for the life of me understand why anyone would be so obsessed over someone they don't even enjoy. Go discuss something you enjoy, might make you happier.

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Covid restrictions, fight on top of an actual moving train, riding a motorcycle off a cliff, collapsing trains, BAD PLANNING, Tom Cruise Salary Increase, etc. Feel free to add more. 

A huge reason was Cruise insisting that crew got paid throughout the production shutdowns due to Covid, something which no publication has talked about. Here's Mcquarrie mentioning it.

Also, I'm no studio insider but they have to be incredibly daft to shoot a high budget movie in the middle of the biggest global pandemic in over a century without any insurance and regardless of our opinions on Paramount, they probably aren't that crazy. I'm willing to bet a healthy insurance payout has been made to Paramount due to all their unforeseen troubles

https://twitter.com/marisatomay/status/1688380914152185857?t=VqvxxdNa8Lhu6PGe9DuPiw&s=19

Edited by Algebra
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

He had a supporting role in Lion for lambs & Knight and Day wasn't a flop. Neither it lost money theatrically. 

DEADLINE: What is your assessment of the box office return so far for Mission?

CLOTH: We’re hopeful that the movie legs out and performs solidly through the rest of summer and hits the numbers that Fallout reached. The average Mission movie does 4.7 times its opening weekend. They tend not to be front-loaded. It’s more of a slow burn. I predict there will be some solid holds all the way into September.

DEADLINE: If it gets to nearly five times its opening weekend you’ll all be very happy, I’m sure. That looks challenging…

CLOTH: It’s an expensive movie. It was built to do that. There was almost no other direction for it to take — it had to be one of the biggest-grossing movies of the year.

DEADLINE: Very expensive, yes. If the $290M budget is accurate that would rank it in the top 15 most expensive movies all time…Have you been surprised by the box office performance of Barbie and would it have been less risky for Mission to open on a date further from that and Oppenheimer?

CLOTH: We believed Barbie would be a huge hit, but were still taken back by the enormity of the cultural phenomenon surrounding it. Looking at the summer 2023 box office, we all knew it was going to be a highly competitive frame and have always trusted and maintained confidence in Paramount’s releasing strategies.

DEADLINE: Just looking from the outside, it could be said that none of Babylon, Dungeons & Dragons or Transformers have taken off at the box office. Mission, it remains to be seen, but it probably hasn’t done as brilliantly as hoped out of the gate. Do your core investors get spooked by those box office numbers? And if not, does that give credence to some people’s views that have been aired during the strike that ultimately studios never lose?

CLOTH: The studios certainly can lose. But box office isn’t the only barometer for success these days. Box office might be a bit lower but that might be a trend, not something that’s unique to these movies. Transactional business is way, way up, but that’s not reported on as much. Box office is one of around eight windows of revenue that these films generate, so the mix is just different nowadays.

‘Mission Impossible’ Financier C2 Is Quietly Backing Paramount Movies – Deadline

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

DEADLINE: What is your assessment of the box office return so far for Mission?

CLOTH: We’re hopeful that the movie legs out and performs solidly through the rest of summer and hits the numbers that Fallout reached. The average Mission movie does 4.7 times its opening weekend. They tend not to be front-loaded. It’s more of a slow burn. I predict there will be some solid holds all the way into September.

DEADLINE: If it gets to nearly five times its opening weekend you’ll all be very happy, I’m sure. That looks challenging…

CLOTH: It’s an expensive movie. It was built to do that. There was almost no other direction for it to take — it had to be one of the biggest-grossing movies of the year.

DEADLINE: Very expensive, yes. If the $290M budget is accurate that would rank it in the top 15 most expensive movies all time…Have you been surprised by the box office performance of Barbie and would it have been less risky for Mission to open on a date further from that and Oppenheimer?

CLOTH: We believed Barbie would be a huge hit, but were still taken back by the enormity of the cultural phenomenon surrounding it. Looking at the summer 2023 box office, we all knew it was going to be a highly competitive frame and have always trusted and maintained confidence in Paramount’s releasing strategies.

DEADLINE: Just looking from the outside, it could be said that none of Babylon, Dungeons & Dragons or Transformers have taken off at the box office. Mission, it remains to be seen, but it probably hasn’t done as brilliantly as hoped out of the gate. Do your core investors get spooked by those box office numbers? And if not, does that give credence to some people’s views that have been aired during the strike that ultimately studios never lose?

CLOTH: The studios certainly can lose. But box office isn’t the only barometer for success these days. Box office might be a bit lower but that might be a trend, not something that’s unique to these movies. Transactional business is way, way up, but that’s not reported on as much. Box office is one of around eight windows of revenue that these films generate, so the mix is just different nowadays.

‘Mission Impossible’ Financier C2 Is Quietly Backing Paramount Movies – Deadline

He makes a good point. People that want to watch Mission Impossible will watch it at some point. The thing about this franchise is that is never had a massive dedicated on the edge of you seat counting down to release audience. I am one of those but know I am in the minority. The casuals will go if they hear Good WOM and the release schedule is clear after release. Fallout and RN had that this most certainly did not. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

He makes a good point. People that want to watch Mission Impossible will watch it at some point. The thing about this franchise is that is never had a massive dedicated on the edge of you seat counting down to release audience. I am one of those but know I am in the minority. The casuals will go if they hear Good WOM and the release schedule is clear after release. Fallout and RN had that this most certainly did not. 

Good WOM it has just not a clear release schedule wanted to clarify before somebody jumps on that. 

7 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah, the franchise has never had a film make a billion dollars, let alone $800 million (Fallout came close). I think WOM was good, but got drowned out by Barbie/Oppenheimer. If it had come out last weekend (or in December) it would probably have been able to make at least $100 million more WW than it will ultimately make. 

No way it grows late legs. The core who appreciates MI films want to see it on the big screen. That's how it was marketed as well. I saw MI7 5 times within 10 days of release. Zero viewing since then. If DR1 would have IMAX and PLF in August, sure enough it could have hit FALLOUT numbers, its OW is clear evidence. It ain't happening now. Barbenheimer smashed it pretty big and no way back domestically.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

No way it grows late legs. The core who appreciates MI films want to see it on the big screen. That's how it was marketed as well. I saw MI7 5 times within 10 days of release. Zero viewing since then. If DR1 would have IMAX and PLF in August, sure enough it could have hit FALLOUT numbers, its OW is clear evidence. It ain't happening now. Barbenheimer smashed it pretty big and no way back domestically.

Wow I called myself a dedicated superfan just saw it a second time last saturday and that will be it to I buy the blu ray. 5 times in 10 days is a whole other level. 

• Like 1

I remember a week back MI7 had showtimes cut and given to SOF which actually had its overall screens increase from the prior week because it was holding so well.

Now that MI7 is holding better than all films in the top 10 on a week-week basis even with such few screens compared to everything else above it and with all its PLFs all practically gone, theatres might increase shows for it by taking some away from holdovers