Eric Lasagna

Booksmart l Annapurna l May 24, 2019 l Kaitlyn Dever, Beanie Feldstein l Olivia Wilde directs l Premieres at SXSW

10 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

For those who have seen it...is it better than the trailer? Thought the trailer was pretty laugh-free outside of that ponytail mask gag. 

Here is my post from upthread which answers your question and then some. And the car scene I don't spoil is not the one you reference.

On 5/18/2019 at 10:58 AM, LonePirate said:

I caught one of the sneak previews last night and it is a very, very funny movie. The trailers definitely do not spoil the best parts of the movie, not even close, as the Top 10, maybe even Top 20 funniest moments in the movie are not touched upon in the trailers. There is a scene in a car that was the funniest thing I have seen in a movie in a long time. It's definitely worth the price of admission if you're looking for a film to watch over Memorial Day weekend. It will easily be one of my Top 5 movies of the year.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Thanks 1

Didn’t realize this was Olivia Wilde’s theatrical debut. The trailers didn’t impress me, but based on the reviews it’s something I’ll check out next weekend. Hopefully it’s still in theaters near me then. 

On 5/22/2019 at 10:28 PM, tonytr87 said:

For those who have seen it...is it better than the trailer? Thought the trailer was pretty laugh-free outside of that ponytail mask gag. 

Nope. It has a moment here and there, but ultimately it wasn’t good.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

On 5/22/2019 at 10:28 PM, tonytr87 said:

Best 2019 movie I have seen and easily. But you have to like the trailer, you like the energy or not and the trailer is quite representative, Annapurna did put the first 6 minute uncut:

Give a really good idea.

The movie has a 8.33/10 RT average score, so do not worry about it being really solidely made, but like I said that energy must not be for everyone.

18 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

I'm somewhere in the middle of you and everyone else.  I didn't care for the first half of it, the second half got better and the last 20 minutes were awesome.  I think maybe for guys like me and you, it's not aimed at us.  I couldn't relate to what the kids were doping and how different the youth is from when I was growing up until now.  I just stared at some of the kids and had a WTF face to some of the situations presented on screen.  Maybe because we are not of this generation, we won't appreciate it all that much.  Having said that I loved Superbad and this was very reminiscent of that film.  So I don't know.  

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm somewhere in the middle of you and everyone else.  I didn't care for the first half of it, the second half got better and the last 20 minutes were awesome.  I think maybe for guys like me and you, it's not aimed at us.  I couldn't relate to what the kids were doping and how different the youth is from when I was growing up until now.  I just stared at some of the kids and had a WTF face to some of the situations presented on screen.  Maybe because we are not of this generation, we won't appreciate it all that much.  Having said that I loved Superbad and this was very reminiscent of that film.  So I don't know.  

I saw it because I thought it would be a female version of Superbad. I thought Superbad was excellent. This film just wasn’t enjoyable the way Superbad was.

14 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Annapurna needs to be stopped.

This makes me sad. Haven't seen this yet (doing that tomorrow) but I've been reading interviews with Wilde talking about it and you can clearly tell she put all of her effort into the movie and that it must be tough watching it get so mishandled (I have no idea why Annapurna chose this weekend unless they thought it would serve as counterprogramming to Aladdin - which would be really boneheaded since Aladdin already heavily appeals to this movie's primary audience anyway). If it's any consolation she can know this isn't the only great teen girl movie in recent years to be mostly ignored in theaters only to find an audience later on after The Edge of Seventeen and Eighth Grade (Lady Bird is probably lucky it was sold as a major Oscar contender that allowed it to do as well as it did).

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This makes me sad. Haven't seen this yet (doing that tomorrow) but I've been reading interviews with Wilde talking about it and you can clearly tell she put all of her effort into the movie and that it must be tough watching it get so mishandled (I have no idea why Annapurna chose this weekend unless they thought it would serve as counterprogramming to Aladdin - which would be really boneheaded since Aladdin already heavily appeals to this movie's primary audience anyway). If it's any consolation she can know this isn't the only great teen girl movie in recent years to be mostly ignored in theaters only to find an audience later on after The Edge of Seventeen and Eighth Grade (Lady Bird is probably lucky it was sold as a major Oscar contender that allowed it to do as well as it did).

This seems like a movie that seems more suited to sell off for a healthy profit to Netflix where similar films are PROVEN to find a large audience for these films. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 8:54 AM, Walt Disney said:

Yeah, it doesn't quite reach the levels of Aladdin (2019) I don't think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

In the case of Eighth Grade it at least had a tiny budget.