filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

46 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

...the fuck is this even supposed to mean? They openly nominated it as one of the best movies of the year but because they didn't also nominate it in this one specific side category, they therefore don't actually think its a great movie?

The mental gymnastics these BP haters are doing, man...

I'd second you on this one, specifically because there's more than five Best Picture slots, but only five Best Director slots. Cuts had to be made somewhere. And who's to say that Bradley Cooper, Peter Farelly, and Ryan Coogler wouldn't have been deserving nominees in their own right? Directors get snubbed for great films all the time simply because they don't have enough space to put all the directors they'd want to; Luca Guadagnino for Call Me By Your Name, Ridley Scott for The Martian, Ava Duvernay for Selma, Damien Chazelle for Whiplash., Bennett Miller for Moneyball, David Mackenzie for Hell or High Water. And that's just a list of names derided from Best Picture nominees from the 2010s. Think of how many directors have been snubbed for films that weren't even able to receive Best Picture nominations. Too many to count!

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cooper's time is coming up soon. Four nominations in a handful of years is a nice narrative, he's got a stronger "overdue" narrative going for him at this point than the likes of Ryan Gosling (with just two nominations) or Jake Gyllenhaal (who is still a lone nominee) do. 

I still weep for his 'Stronger' pitch last year.

• Like 1

I just want to say that I like looking to see how many films get nominated for multiple Oscars, and I love the variety of the films that got multiple nominations. The Best Picture nominees are nominated more than films that weren't Best Picture nominees in all cases, but this year, a total of 18 films received multiple nominations, including iffy/unforeseen contenders like The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Cold War, Never Look Away, Isle of Dogs, Mary Queen of Scots, and the documentary RGB. This ties 2016's 18 films and beats 2017's 17 films. I love to see films receive recognition for multiple things that they're shown to do incredibly well.

BTW I feel like if we should blame anyone for Beale Street's underperformance it's Annapurna, who threw most of their limited resources these days behind Vice. The fact they just delayed that Linklater/Blanchett movie so far yet again just goes to show they have no money to even promote a movie at this point. A24 would've done better with it (in fact it still surprises me they didn't throw everything at Jenkins to keep him there after Moonlight).

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

BTW I feel like if we should blame anyone for Beale Street's underperformance it's Annapurna, who threw most of their limited resources these days behind Vice. The fact they just delayed that Linklater/Blanchett movie so far yet again just goes to show they have no money to even promote a movie at this point. A24 would've done better with it (in fact it still surprises me they didn't throw everything at Jenkins to keep him there after Moonlight).

Watched Moonlight recently on netflix. i don't get the hype. Lala land deserved to win best picture that year

• Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

they did really well by Vice though. 8 nominations for a movie that got reviews like it belonged on the "This Had Oscar Buzz" tumblr.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

they did really well by Vice though. 8 nominations for a movie that got reviews like it belonged on the "This Had Oscar Buzz" tumblr.

One of the perks of opening at the tail end of the year where the tepid reviews/box office came too late to matter, I guess. I'm pretty sure if that and First Man had swapped release dates they also would've swapped awards season fates (FWIW First Man actually did better than I thought it would in the techs so there was clearly some level of support for it).

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

You think Chalemet is a supporting actor? He's a lead actor.

Havent seen Green Book either but I got the impression Ali is a lead in that too.

A real supporting actor award should go to like the guy who played the father in The Hate U Give. A small role, performed so well that it adds another level to a movie.

He was competing in supporting was he not?

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

He was competing in supporting was he not?

yeah that's what I was asking, whether you thought he is the best supporting performance or just whether you think his awards campaign should desrve it.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

One of the perks of opening at the tail end of the year where the tepid reviews/box office came too late to matter, I guess. I'm pretty sure if that and First Man had swapped release dates they also would've swapped awards season fates (FWIW First Man actually did better than I thought it would in the techs so there was clearly some level of support for it).

tepid reviews? What tepid reviews?

Polarising is not the same as tepid. That's the issue with rotten tomatoes, you look at 60% and you think average. When it's more like a love / hate thing. By the same logic, 2001: A Space Odyssey had a tepid reception, most people think its pretty mediocre/average..

Just realised that next year's Best Animated Feature category could potentially be comprised entirely of sequels (The Lego Movie 2, HTTYD3, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, The Secret Life of Pets 2). It probably won't happen but the possibility is certainly there.

1 minute ago, gadd said:

Just realised that next year's Best Animated Feature category could potentially be comprised entirely of sequels (The Lego Movie 2, HTTYD3, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, The Secret Life of Pets 2). It probably won't happen but the possibility is certainly there.

pets will not make it. lego movie may not either. I don't know what adult animation films are coming out this year but theres usually at least 2 that make it in.

edit: its depressing just thinking we can already somewhat accurately predict the nominations for 12 months ahead. such a useless and neglected category.

Edited by Avatree

Just now, Avatree said:

pets will not make it. lego movie may not either. I don't know what adult animation films are coming out this year but theres usually at least 2 that make it in.

We can count out the Lego Movie for sure, the Lego prejudice among AMPAS voters is strong.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

yeah that's what I was asking, whether you thought he is the best supporting performance or just whether you think his awards campaign should desrve it.

tepid reviews? What tepid reviews?

Polarising is not the same as tepid. That's the issue with rotten tomatoes, you look at 60% and you think average. When it's more like a love / hate thing. By the same logic, 2001: A Space Odyssey had a tepid reception, most people think its pretty mediocre/average..

61 on MC and 64% on RT is rather meh for a film that was expected to be a major Oscar player ever since the day it was casted all the same, even if it ended up being one anyway.

5 minutes ago, gadd said:

clearly Dragonball Super is the frontrunner.

6 hours ago, Alli said:

yeah, but it would create a dangerous precedent

Nah, it's actually a long-standing precedent for a late-year film to play a short run in LA and/or NY in actual movie theaters in order to be eligible for Oscars. Has happened many times before. 

Edited by SteveJaros