filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

59 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I haven't seen IW but if BP 'following basic outlines' means having a simple story well told then give me that any day of the week over the eye-grating wall-to-wall action we so often get.

(I don't think BP should win, er, BP though. It's not the best film there and really doesn't need it.)

I agree that there is something to be said about a well executed "basic" outline (see Avatar for a great example of this). I also said I'm not entirely opposed to BP being in the category, but only if IW had been there as well. I think it's superior in nearly every way and moreover does something unique and pulls it off.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Chalamet stans are literally melting down on Twitter today lmao. His snub could be seen coming from miles away though. He was the Hong Chau of this year (potential lone nominee for a no1curr movie that showed up at the precursors only to get snubbed the morning of nominations).

Agree, it's not like I expected him to get nominated. But I thought he should have. I thought he coulda won too; I know that Ali is practically a lock but Chalamet is the only performance I personally thought exceeded Ali's in the category. 

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Agree, it's not like I expected him to get nominated. But I thought he should have. I thought he coulda won too; I know that Ali is practically a lock but Chalamet is the only performance I personally thought exceeded Ali's in the category. 

You think Chalemet is a supporting actor? He's a lead actor.

Havent seen Green Book either but I got the impression Ali is a lead in that too.

A real supporting actor award should go to like the guy who played the father in The Hate U Give. A small role, performed so well that it adds another level to a movie.

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Rockwell getting in for three or four unmemorable scenes in Vice. I love the guy but sheesh.

It was a typical afterglow/keep up the good work nomination following a win. It was probably between him or Chalamet, and he obviously had the much stronger movie.

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

the academy will make up for their sins next year when Lego 2vie wins in every single category it's eligible for.

I’m praying it’s excellent and very excited for it than I was a few weeks ago but I’m hyped for Dragon 3 more. Still those are my most hyped animated films of the year.

By the way with all the talk earlier about Netflix movies qualifying it looks like they're about to become an official member of the MPAA. Just goes to show how the landscape is changing, especially with one of the big six studios about to become absorbed into one of the others and vacating a major seat in the process.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-advanced-talks-join-mpaa-1177926

6 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Rockwell getting in for three or four unmemorable scenes in Vice. I love the guy but sheesh.

one of those classic cases of a guy who could never get nominated and suddenly he's in the club and it's like "ok you're nominating him too much"

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m praying it’s excellent and very excited for it than I was a few weeks ago but I’m hyped for Dragon 3 more. Still those are my most hyped animated films of the year.

As it's not by Lord/Miller I have no expectation for it to be as good as the first. If its nearly as good as Batman then I'll be happy. Havent seen any trailers or footage or anything, excited. The catchy song though is.... catchy. I keep humming it. So that's a good start.

HTTYD3 is my most anticipated of the year. I only watched the first film for the first time the other day, and kicked myself for not seeing it before. If 3 is on par with previous two, could be a contender for one of the best trilogies evah. My hype is through the roof, it comes out here next week.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

one of those classic cases of a guy who could never get nominated and suddenly he's in the club and it's like "ok you're nominating him too much"

Was three billboards his first nomination?

The only category that I've seen all the nominees for is Best Actress. I'm gonna make an effort to see all the films in the major categories (Picture, Director, Acting, Screenplay). I'm also gonna try seeing all the short films as well. Probably won't bother with any of the tech stuff that I haven't gotten to yet, though I'm definitely gonna check out First Man before the ceremony.

Edited by Rorschach