filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

I do think that there ended up being backlash to the Green Book backlash which in the end helped it. Forget who it was but one of those awards season prognosticator guys on Twitter tweeted something about a "we're being attacked" campaign that could helped out another movie that received backlash around 20 years ago (it was totally A Beautiful Mind) and a movie as well-intentioned as Green Book likely ended up using that to its advantage too.

I mean, I'm not one of the movie's biggest fans (even though I liked it), but it's certainly become a favorite among people I know. Could it be more hard-hitting in its depiction of racism? Sure, but I guess we should be applauding that a nice movie about the friendship between two men of different colors caught on like this, especially in the bigoted dumpster fire that is this country these days.

• Thanks 1

I guess I should just be glad that a Disney movie didn’t win Best Animated Feature for once. I guess it also makes some sense that Roma didnt win Best Picture, given that it already won Best Foreign Language Film. Still, Green Book is probably the the most vanilla movie to win Best Picture in a while, but given how unconventional the lineup this year was, that’s not too surprising. 

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I do think that there ended up being backlash to the Green Book backlash which in the end helped it. Forget who it was but one of those awards season prognosticator guys on Twitter tweeted something about a "we're being attacked" campaign that could helped out another movie that received backlash around 20 years ago (it was totally A Beautiful Mind) and a movie as well-intentioned as Green Book likely ended up using that to its advantage too.

I mean, I'm not one of the movie's biggest fans (even though I liked it), but it's certainly become a favorite among people I know. Could it be more hard-hitting in its depiction of racism? Sure, but I guess we should be applauding that a nice movie about the friendship between two men of different colors caught on like this, especially in the bigoted dumpster fire that is this country these days.

It's fucking irritating as hell that a movie all about loving and understanding each other is getting a backlash. That kind of crap is what makes me hate the internet sometimes. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If only it were a movie about, y'know, a friendship, and not a bigot heroically accepting one black guy.

• Like 2

Green Book was my 2nd choice out of the noms I had seen (still no Favourite, ASIB or BKKKM) and I can totally understand why it won and Racism is not it. The controversy from a loud small part of the movie population only helped its cause. 

As for Roma, it wouldnt have made it out of the indie circuit a decade or two ago. Goes to show what engaged diversification and turning the oscars into the Spirit 2.0 Awards has done. I had tried to tell yall that average joe voter wasnt gonna go for it, but as usual BOT gets caught up in group think as evidenced by the meltdowns going on. 

Its not like there was a Clash / BBM situation as Blackkklansman wasnt winning BP in most circles (being the antithesis choice of Greenbook of course.) There was a clear precedent for Green Book to win that wasnt the academy going "fuck it, I aint voting for the gay film."

• Like 1