sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I agree that narratively this feels like it should definitely be the end of the franchise. Shame the box office is this embarrassing though, as it was a pretty good movie nonetheless. 

Looks like WAG is going to need to find another franchise to work off. Scooby Doo?

I think they need to start actually marketing their films ala Dreamworks/Illumination and maybe switch to a more worldwide sense of humor since they can’t rely on just America and Canada. The only films that have a lot of potential are Space Jam 2 and Super Pets. Scooby and Cat In The Hat will do decent here but bomb OS and Funko will likely bomb.

• Like 2

Just saw the Friday estimate for Lego 2 and went "What?" so loud my roommate thought something was wrong.

That was unexpected. Also depressing. Even though I don't care about the movie itself, it makes me fear for the box office. Trying not to overreact here but it's been on my mind for awhile now. Are we really going to see the death of cinema at some point?

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Alita is looking like a ghost town at my local cinema today (UK). 

10 showings and the busiest showing is maybe 30% full. 

I’m going to see it on Monday. 

Never thought it would do well in the UK.

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Never thought it would do well in the UK.

Lmao Alita's going to do bad in the UK because a screen in the scottish highlands isnt at full capacity!!

How about some actual info

Alita did better than HTTYD on Thurs

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Lmao Alita's going to do bad in the UK because a screen in the scottish highlands isnt at full capacity!!

How about some actual info

Alita did better than HTTYD on Thurs

Jimbo, be quiet. You're getting close to the point of poisoning the well. 

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Who would have thought 3 months ago that The Upside could potentially out-gross Lego Movie 2

Its an upset really.

17 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Just saw the Friday estimate for Lego 2 and went "What?" so loud my roommate thought something was wrong.

That was unexpected. Also depressing. Even though I don't care about the movie itself, it makes me fear for the box office. Trying not to overreact here but it's been on my mind for awhile now. Are we really going to see the death of cinema at some point?

Were you around here in 2014? Or 2011? Or during parts of 2017?

The death of cinema has been announced since the 1930s. A freaking Lego Movie flopping really doesnt indicate it.

January and early February have just been barren so far this year. Barren of movies people actually want to see.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

You're deliberately aggravating people dude. The more you act smug, the more you're goading people in to shitting on Alita. You know that right? 

I imagine we'll have the year's 1st weekend thread bans going next weekend:)...unless a miracle happens...and then we'll still probably get them, just from other folks...

In all seriousness, I hope next week's films can break the streak...and Alita's $4 tickets should help (see hitting a price point people will buy), but there may not be enough fans and T-Mobile subscribers to buoy the weekend, although Thursday should (hopefully) at least be our 1st real highlight day of the year...

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Godzilla 2 I think is guaranteed to go down domestically. Like Lego it is coming five years after the original and in that case, the first film wasn't even well liked 

Godzilla 2 is going to do Skull Island numbers IMO