sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

2 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

DISCLAIMER: I don't hate WB as some of you said. Just as many others, I wish this studio to be successful. But sometimes, a son needs to get his ass spanked hard by his father in order to learn from his own mistakes.  That's why I am sometimes critical of WB. The so-called "hatred" is actually out of love. 

By the way, your statement is false. WB did have some flops last year.

The 15:17 to Paris     budget: 30 million  WW: 57 million

12 Strong                  budget: 35 million  WW: 70 million 

Those are far from flop.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

It will open to Godzilla numbers and have Skull Island legs. It's the textbook definition of a crowd pleasing movie. I will be surprised if it does not do 3x legs at minimum

will it show godzilla for more than 5 minutes though?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

For Lego2 BOReport says OD is 8.5 while total gross is 9.1 including pre-previews of 0.6, while Mojo and The-Numbers show total and OD both as 8.5. Which is it?

OD including Thursday is 8.5

There are also 0.6 previews as well.

So 9.1 so far but 8.5 opening day

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Well, she did headline a movie that made nearly $170M just over two years ago (and the traditional starpower method as we knew it is dead in today's environment), so...

I consider that movie to be an ensemble so I don't consider her the "headliner".  The last movie she headlined grossed $20 million so you should be happy that this one will be much more successful than Proud Mary.

6 minutes ago, Catty said:

I consider that movie to be an ensemble so I don't consider her the "headliner".  The last movie she headlined grossed $20 million so you should be happy that this one will be much more successful than Proud Mary.

*ahem*

TylerPerrysAcrimonyTeaserPoster.jpg

For those blaming WB's marketing, that simply isn't the case. This is seeing what it's seeing simply because the novelty factor for Lego movies isn't there outside of the first. The first movie succeeded in large part because it was new and different. Lego Batman was really well recieved but experienced a significant drop from the first Lego movie. Ninjago I won't even go into because that should have been a direct to video or TV special since it's based on a show and toy line. Everywhere I'm reading is that the sequel is as good if not better than the first, but there's really no curiosity factor to rush out and see it. It was obvious there was significant novelty at play with the franchise after seing that Lego Batman drop, but considering the long development cycles for movies what can you do?

51 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

will it show godzilla for more than 5 minutes though?

Cant wait for this annoying complaint to vanish.

The director himself said numerous times that Godzilla and the other kaiju have tons of screentime. This is an all-out brawl and nothing less.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Cant wait for this annoying complaint to vanish.

The director himself said numerous times that Godzilla and the other kaiju have tons of screentime. This is an all-out brawl and nothing less.

sounds awful.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

sounds awful.

Sounds awesome and everything a kaiju eiga fan could hope for.

Weve had the slow approach with the typical american "hide the monster" mentality, now lets have a Battle Royale approach. Doing the same again is boring and would definetly lead to diminishing returns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1