sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

5 year gap is a bit of a no man's land for animated sequels but it didn't stop Ralph from having a good opening and no doubt Frozen 2 will be huge too. Going to be back to the drawing board for WAG as WB will struggle to have a place in the animation market with the dominance of Disney and Universal.

• Like 1

Cold Pursuit is opening in the range of most of the non-Taken Liam Neeson releases. I cant say if the racism controversy effected it.

One things for sure, big studios wont want to touch Neeson. He could still get work overseas,  in Europe.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Sounds awesome and everything a kaiju eiga fan could hope for.

Weve had the slow approach with the typical american "hide the monster" mentality, now lets have a Battle Royale approach. Doing the same again is boring and would definetly lead to diminishing returns.

As long as they have written a decent human story to get us involved then I don't care the % or minutes:seconds that Godzilla is on screen for. The first movie did a great job of adapting Godzilla and managed to do it without filling the film with weightless CGI brawl crap.

12 hours ago, DAJK said:

Jeez, The Upside has been literally the only upside in 2019's box office. Dreadful, dreadful start to the year. Not just overall numbers, but in terms of headlines really. Pretty much everything is underperforming big-time compared to expectations. Except a Weinstein remake of a French film hardly anyone in North America saw that was shelved for nearly 2 years before being finally released by a minor distributor.

Not to go full CJohn here but I'm going to make some predictions just so as not to be disappointed in the future.

Alita under 70M

Dragon under 140M

Captain Marvel under 400M

Dumbo under 120

Shazam under 175

Endgame under 150

Pikachu under 250 (OD obviously)

Godzilla under Godzilla '14

Toy Story 4 under 300

Lion King under BatB

Frozen 2 under Frozen 1

Jumanji 2 under 250M

Episode IX under 550M

Fuck this year so far. It really does look like though many of the major "franchises" of the 2010's are winding down this year, or at least shifting gears, or new franchises are being created. Hopefully 2020 starts us off fresh.  

While LEGO's decline is disappointing I wouldn't go that far yet.

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

While LEGO's decline is disappointing I wouldn't go that far yet.

I agree to an extent. While I think LEGO's decline is very much to do with dilution/disinterest in the brand, I do sort of wonder how much the overall disappointing box office lately can be attributed to people simply not wanting to pay premium prices to see movies anymore. While obviously this discussion has been going on for decades, and 2019 is likely going to be no different, but I'm curious as to how much all these new streaming services/other ways to watch a movie, coupled with rising ticket prices, is detracting from people's interest in simply seeing a movie that is just "not an EVENT". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I agree to an extent. While I think LEGO's decline is very much to do with dilution/disinterest in the brand, I do sort of wonder how much the overall disappointing box office lately can be attributed to people simply not wanting to pay premium prices to see movies anymore. While obviously this discussion has been going on for decades, and 2019 is likely going to be no different, but I'm curious as to how much all these new streaming services/other ways to watch a movie, coupled with rising ticket prices, is detracting from people's interest in simply seeing a movie that is just "not an EVENT". 

that seems unlikely given that last year was a record high for theatrical sales.

In the case of LEGO there are many reasons that may be attributed to this disappointment - but shouldn't be blamed on people not wanting to go to the cinema any more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I agree to an extent. While I think LEGO's decline is very much to do with dilution/disinterest in the brand, I do sort of wonder how much the overall disappointing box office lately can be attributed to people simply not wanting to pay premium prices to see movies anymore.

Moviepass too.

No decline in China though, but unlike Hollywood they produce bold original science-fiction movies.

48 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

Cold Pursuit is opening in the range of most of the non-Taken Liam Neeson releases. I cant say if the racism controversy effected it.

One things for sure, big studios wont want to touch Neeson. He could still get work overseas,  in Europe.

Studios will have a very short memory for this

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Avatree said:

that seems unlikely given that last year was a record high for theatrical sales.

In the case of LEGO there are many reasons that may be attributed to this disappointment - but shouldn't be blamed on people not wanting to go to the cinema any more.

That's due to inflation though. Haven't actual admissions being steadily decreasing every year for awhile now?

I'm not looking at the dollars and cents here. I'm looking at admissions. Less and less people are going to the theatres, however lots will show up for the huge events (Star Wars, Avengers etc.).

• Like 1

Both Glass and Lego Movie 2's numbers were totally expected to me so I'm not writing 2019 off quite yet. They were both clearly novelty movies that hit one time and didn't stick in audiences minds. Flash in the pan movies that were inevitably going to drop - the Now You See Me 2 corollary. I felt zero buzz for them since the first trailer. A rare time in the past couple of years where me being pessimistic has paid off!

• Like 1