MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

James Wan is doing his job in trying to sell the movie, so I don't expect that article to be really insightful.

But it is insightful. He talked about the reshoot process, how he deal with it even before, he talked about Gunn and he talked about unusual references that could be very well the reason for why the movie isn’t really clicking in test screenings. 

It’s a great piece, he doesn’t need to come out and say “oh it’s chaotic and everyone on tests actually hated the vibe i decided to create” to be insightful. 

Edited by ThomasNicole

2 hours ago, toutvabien said:

He really should be the new black panther. A more kick ass and violent black panther. 

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

But it is insightful. He talked about the reshoot process, how he deal with it even before, he talked about Gunn and he talked about unusual references that could be very well the reason for why the movie isn’t really clicking in test screenings. 

It’s a great piece, he doesn’t need to come out and say “oh it’s chaotic and everyone on tests actually hated the vibe i decided to create” to be insightful. 

David Ayer said the exact same things about Suicide Squad, Zack Snyder also supported WB's claims that Joss Whedon was coming in to finish his vision for Justice League. They always do that, so anything Wan says about reshoots and studio interference, at this point in the movie's marketing cycle, is meaningless in my opinion. And I'm not trying to be negative, of course there's a chance he's telling the truth and the movie is more than fine (and I want that to be case, I would really like to celebrate this movie's success).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Interesting that he basically admitted that James Gunn was involved in the last bunch of reshoots and bring new ideas. 

This is interesting because while some people insists on universal truths about this movie being objectively awful, WB didn’t tested it after Gunn came in so they didn’t watch what happened after the final reshoot and re-editing. They don’t even know for sure what changed after Gunn involvement.

Not that i don’t believe in parts of the infos, i’m convinced it’ll be a messy movie and considering how Wan keeps comparing it to 1950-s B Movies, it shouldn’t be everyone taste and very likely it can be rejected by a big portion of the audience and considered boring, out of time or trash for them.

Still, even if it’s actually a mess and part of the audience and critics hated it, getting a CBM movie compared to trash 50’s fantasy movies that people keeps saying it doesn’t feel like a modern CBM movie at all is 100x more interesting to me than whatever basic “well made” movie people might enjoy. I just need those production design / visuals / action to be ridiculously camp fun and i’m more than happy.

You just lost a lot of creditiblity by referring to the Harryhausen classics as "Trash".

As far as I ,and a lot of pople sare concerned, them's fighting words.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

David Ayer said the exact same things about Suicide Squad, Zack Snyder also supported WB's claims that Joss Whedon was coming in to finish his vision for Justice League. They always do that, so anything Wan says about reshoots and studio interference, at this point in the movie's marketing cycle, is meaningless in my opinion. And I'm not trying to be negative, of course there's a chance he's telling the truth and the movie is more than fine (and I want that to be case, I would really like to celebrate this movie's success).

Yeah. Wan is a professional. Even if he's miserable and WB had taken over his film and chopped it to bits he would not say it. He will say the right things and maybe in 10 years we would hear that kind of detail.

Josh Trank is the obvious example of what happens to a guy who bashes the studio.

I'm really hoping the film surprises everyone, I'm a huge Wan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i watched the 7th voyage of sinbad for the first time earlier this year that movie rules.

It does. And Jason and the Argonauts is even better.

Anybody calling the Harryhausen films "Trash" is somebody whose opinion on movies is not to be taken seriosly.

There is a reason why almost every body who makes sci fi or fantasy movies is a huge fan of and is deeply influcenced by Ray Harryhausen, and why his death a few years ago  was the occasion of glowing tributes from SPeilberg, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, George Lucas and many others.

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You just lost a lot of creditiblity by referring to the Harryhausen classics as "Trash".

As far as I ,and a lot of pople sare concerned, them's fighting words.

What? I said the references was B Movies (which they were). At least where i live these type of movies are all put together as “trash movies” but in a loving way, it’s a genre, not a critique.

But i was talking way more about how Wan making a movie with those influences can be perceived as trash by audiences in 2023. I’m actually very happy with them being talked as references, i’m sure it’s evident. 

Maybe i didn’t phrase it well enough but i have no idea what you’re talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Yes you’re right, i just think Wan is in a way better position than both in the industry and probably wouldn’t proudly say this is his movie and his vision if it weren’t. 

He could’ve talked about it in many other ways without attacking WB but he just seems genuinely happy and excited with the final movie imo. 

Especially because i think it’s a very different situation. WB took Ayer movie from his hands and put the final editing themselves, from what we know this didn’t happened here and Wan himself shot all the reshoots, not someone else like in Snyder case. 

But i get your point, i think is fair, even if i think this case is quite different and Wan is a way bigger name.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

What? I said the references was B Movies (which they were). At least where i live these type of movies are all put together as “trash movies” but in a loving way, it’s a genre, not a critique.

But i was talking way more about how Wan making a movie with those influences can be perceived as trash by audiences in 2023. I’m actually very happy with them being talked as references, i’m sure it’s evident. 

Maybe i didn’t phrase it well enough but i have no idea what you’re talking about.

In standard English, the term "Trash" is not a compliment. And I don't think the Harryhausen films were "B" movies.

9 minutes ago, HummingLemon said:

@Relevation

Still confident in your sub $400M prediction after the teaser? Don't worry, I'm not a supporter of this movie at all. But since you were completely correct about Flash and Barbie I just wanna hear your thoughts.

Yeah, the teaser doesn’t look that good and it doesn’t exactly work to deny the atrocious buzz surrounding the film. Disliked DC movies do not get audiences out to theaters anymore and I still think the sequel drop for this will be really large. $125M DOM / $375M WW

15 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Yeah, the teaser doesn’t look that good and it doesn’t exactly work to deny the atrocious buzz surrounding the film. Disliked DC movies do not get audiences out to theaters anymore and I still think the sequel drop for this will be really large. $125M DOM / $375M WW

ca86b948480fa6b35ff78f2fccbc64a0.jpg

Edited by HummingLemon