MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

42 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Still sticking to my $19M OW/$85M DOM/$250M WW prediction. CBMs are collapsing.

I think collapsing is too strong a term, but their days as a dominent genre are through.

Od xouree, some CBM's will do well question is  Aquaman 2 one of them. It's not 2018.

I think alot people here are having problems accepting that CBM's days of dominance are over.

And I don't see any Genre becoming as dominant. We are entering a perios  in which we might not have a single dominant genre. Not sold that Video game movies will take CBM's place.

41 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think collapsing is too strong a term, but their days as a dominent genre are through.

Od xouree, some CBM's will do well question is  Aquaman 2 one of them. It's not 2018.

I think alot people here are having problems accepting that CBM's days of dominance are over.

And I don't see any Genre becoming as dominant. We are entering a perios  in which we might not have a single dominant genre. Not sold that Video game movies will take CBM's place.

It's not about video games or CBMs, or animes, or toys. It's about strong IPs with nostalgic value. It doesn't matter where the IP actually comes from, if it touched enough people during their childhood and the film is half decent, or at least gives people what they want out of that IP, it will do well.

That's the actual trend that has gotten very strong since COVID. Nostalgia is comfort, people need comfort.

• Like 1

This thread is pretty dead compared to Marvels 3 weeks before release. I guess people aren't even interested in laughing at the ashes of the DCEU anymore...

I'm sure the Superman: Legacy thread will have huge page count though, but we'll get there when we get there.

4 hours ago, Bob Train said:

This thread is pretty dead compared to Marvels 3 weeks before release. I guess people aren't even interested in laughing at the ashes of the DCEU anymore...

I'm sure the Superman: Legacy thread will have huge page count though, but we'll get there when we get there.

No surprises here I guess, everyone has been expecting bad numbers for months, and then guess what, bad numbers are coming. The Marvels prepared everyone for this one doing similarly. It’s rather tedious.

Itll probably get some movement with social media reactions and reviews. When are these coming?

7 hours ago, Bob Train said:

It's comic book bomb fatigue. We've literally relived this same cycle 3 or 4 times already this year alone. Shazam 2, The Flash, and The Marvels managed to obliterate all of our reasonable expectations. 4/7 live action CBMs this year somehow managed a 2.0x or lower multiplier. Every CBM except GOTG 3 and ATSV which are considered top tier got a B or B+. Dumb fun doesn't cut it anymore.

Here's a good example: Remember when Birds of Prey was one of the lowest grossing CBMs of the "CBM peak" domestically, with only $84M? Well now 4/7 live action CBMs this year are (probably) gonna go below BoP domestically. 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob Train said:

In The Marvels case, no one could imagine the box office would fall so low, that's why there was so much disccusion. Not to mention that there was still a little denial about the bomb.

People were already surprised for The Marvels, so it wouldn't be a surprise even if Aquaman 2 has a lower box office.

15 hours ago, DInky said:

Just found the perfect gif to use when Aquaman OW numbers come in.

stumbling-down-aquaman.gif

So this made me realize: The Flash will not only be the highest grossing DC film of the year, it will also be the highest grossing DC film with Jason Momoa in it of the year.

And that gif basically describes this thread until reviews. My arbitrary prediction as of now is 40% RT/B CinemaScore (may seem too low but 5/6 live action CBMs this year got a B or B+)

Edited by HummingLemon496

21 hours ago, Kon said:

In The Marvels case, no one could imagine the box office would fall so low, that's why there was so much disccusion. Not to mention that there was still a little denial about the bomb.

People were already surprised for The Marvels, so it wouldn't be a surprise even if Aquaman 2 has a lower box office.

Yeah, it's getting to the point where following the box office doesn't even seem fun anymore. It's been flop after flop more or less.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, it's getting to the point where following the box office doesn't even seem fun anymore. It's been flop after flop more or less.

flops are great fun when they’re unexpected. Tragically, we knew it was happening long before Marvels opened, and it looks like it’s happening here too