MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

Zhao is playing a mystery character named Stingray. It is unclear if the role is villainous in nature but it is an original character created for the movie. Moore is playing longtime DC character Karshon. The character was originally a Green Lantern villain (he first appeared in 1963’s Green Lantern No. 24) who was originally a shark that, after being hit with radiation, gained intelligence and telepathic powers.

Regan is playing Atlan, the ancient ruler of Atlantis who caused the city to sink into the sea. The character appeared briefly in the 2018 Aquaman movie and was portrayed by Graham McTavish. A plot thread in that movie featured Aquaman finding Atlan’s trident.

Park returns as Dr. Stephen Shin, a marine biologist who in the comics was obsessed with finding the location of Atlantis.

Edited by cax16

aquaman-wb-dccomics.jpg

Jason Momoa says that Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom will be bigger and better, with improved CGI underwater effects and humor that made him giggle.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom star Jason Momoa says that the new film will have much bigger stakes and so much humor that it had him giggling while reading the script. The DC Extended Universe hasn't come together in quite the same way as the Marvel movies, but if there's one feather in its cap, it's Aquaman. The original Aquaman, which was directed by James Wan, came out in 2018 and pulled in the biggest box office take of any DCEU film, making it the first film in that franchise to cross the $1 billion mark.

Aquaman 2 will come out on December 17, 2022 and follow Aquaman after assuming the throne of Atlantis. The movie, which began production in July, is currently filming in the UK. While the original Aquaman did skew toward more humor than the Zack Snyder side of the DCEU, it certainly was more serious than overtly comic outings like Shazam! or James Gunn's The Suicide Squad. However, it looks like the new Aquaman 2 will be pushing that tone even further.

Speaking with Fandango, Jason Momoa has teased that the new Aquaman will have bigger and better everything. The stakes will be higher, there will be "a lot more heart," and the CGI water effects will be even more advanced, but there will still be plenty of humor. In fact, the comedy in the script was so solid that Momoa admitted he "giggled reading it." Read the full quote here:

This Aquaman this time around, I feel like pulling out all the stops, buddy. Like it’s… We all learned something on the first one. It’s exciting because I haven’t made too many sequels. I just know that it’s… even on the page it’s absolutely wonderful. There is so much going on.

I think the stakes are a lot higher. There’s a lot of comedy. So, I mean, I giggled reading it. There’s a lot of fun, and definitely the action’s… I think just in the last three or four years just technology’s constantly… it’s just moving at such a rapid pace that what we’re doing with underwater - I mean, that’s what made the first one so amazing. So it’s just gone on to a whole other level, so I’m excited for everyone because it’s just a lot more heart. There’s a lot more at risk.

Momoa is confirmed to return as Arthur Curry aka Aquaman alongside Patrick Wilson as Orm, Amber Heard as Mera, Randall Park as Dr. Stephen Shin, and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Black Manta. It is also believed that the film will feature Willem Dafoe as Vulko, Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus, and Nicole Kidman as Atlanna. However, in the interest of this film being even bigger and brighter, new cast members have been added to Aquaman 2 on top of that. Jani Zhao will play the original character Stingray, Indya Moore will play hyperintelligent shark Karshon, and Vincent Regan will become the third actor to portray King Atlan, replacing Graham McTavish from the original film.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom will be transporting audiences to a whole new world that can hardly be imagined, and it has already started. Before today, it would have been difficult to imagine that the famously intense Momoa had even heard of the term "giggle." Although plot details from the film are unknown, fans certainly have something delightful to look forward to next year.

ScreenRant

• Thanks 2