MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

As long as AVATAR stays (which with just-emerged interviews with Cameron, is looking very solid), then this will move.  

Don't know why Warners is doing whatever they're doing with MATRIX, but after this December, I don't think they'll make the same decision again for next year, to put one of their own potential blockbusters directly against an almost-guaranteed sure thing.  *Especially* because these two spectacles will share an underwater theme...

Edited by Macleod

12 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

I’m guessing March or June.

I think it will stay. If it moves, it will be because of Wan asking for more time to work in the movie and only that. But the Batgirl thing is really a problem.

And Shazam is already in June. February or March seems ok for Aquaman. Aquaman in February, Shazam in June, Blue Beetle in August + another one in November/December would be the DC calendar for theaters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, belblazer said:

I think it will stay. If it moves, it will be because of Wan asking for more time to work in the movie and only that. But the Batgirl thing is really a problem.

And Shazam is already in June. February or March seems ok for Aquaman. Aquaman in February, Shazam in June, Blue Beetle in August + another one in November/December would be the DC calendar for theaters.

It definitely won’t stay. It’s just a matter of where it’s going. Putting A2 up against A2 would be a bad business decision.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

It definitely won’t stay. It’s just a matter of where it’s going. Putting A2 up against A2 would be a bad business decision.

The original Black Adam date was also the same as Avatar 2 last year on 12/16/2021. They only moved because of COVID.

It would be a bad decision and we know that WB is stupid. But I think it will move because of Batgirl.

• Like 1

Yeah this isn't staying in December, they'll want IMAX/PLF screens and they know they'll lose against Disney/James Cameron. Still thinking this and Wonka (which will almost certainly be ready in time for release three months earlier than planned) end up switching release dates.

honestly....moving batgirl to theatrical like blue beetle but also hbo max day1 debut..woudl work right? its a Christmas set film too. better much up than aquaman.  tho they might want to keep dceu bat franchise hbo max mainly...

Also I assume its not as simple in terms of logistics(?).Im not particularly full of insight into the movie industry after all.

• Like 1

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Then they should definitely swap release dates with Shazam 2 at this point. 

I’d rather no theatrical movie go up against Avatar tbh, only movie I’d be fine with is Batgirl releasing on max. Then Shazam could move up to early 2023 and Aquaman could take Shazam’s date. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I’d rather no theatrical movie go up against Avatar tbh, only movie I’d be fine with is Batgirl releasing on max. Then Shazam could move up to early 2023 and Aquaman could take Shazam’s date. 

Shazam 2 could work perfectly fine as counter programming in a month like December. The problem with releasing this movie in the same weekend as Avatar 2 is that they’re both underwater VFX movies.

Then again, I suppose that WB could move that Willy Wonka movie to the December slot, and move Shazam 2 to March, while this moves to June. 

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Shazam 2 could work perfectly fine as counter programming in a month like December. The problem with releasing this movie in the same weekend as Avatar 2 is that they’re both underwater VFX movies.

Then again, I suppose that WB could move that Willy Wonka movie to the December slot, and move Shazam 2 to March, while this moves to June. 

This is what I’m hoping happens, also, I’ve never really wanted Aquaman to release against Avatar so I’ll be happy if it does move tbh. 

I would just rather see Shazam have a run where it doesn’t have to face a movie like Avatar, shazam one already had endgame tickets go on sale the week of release and then captain marvel came out as well. I’m not saying it would of made a ton more either way but I’d like to see how the movie plays out in normal circumstances. 

Edited by cax16