DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

A little more into the Skrulls side being the victims would have made it more impactful. Just a thought came to mind. The emotions could have worked very well there.

They just glossing over that science guy's sacrifice scene and following that scene with Kree shapeshifting jokes is one of the example of tonal shifts.

That science guy was the real Coulson of the movie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

One of my favorite scenes in anything MCU is Vision talking to Ultron before killing him.

I do think Vision is the one character that the Russos/M&M never quite kind a handle on the same way Whedon did.  He was so fascinating and intriguing in AOU, but, IMO, a little flat in both CW and IW. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I do think Vision is the one character that the Russos/M&M never quite kind a handle on the same way Whedon did.  He was so fascinating and intriguing in AOU, but, IMO, a little flat in both CW and IW. 

the word you're looking for is underutilized same goes for Scarlet witch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the SLJ eye being scratched out by cat thing should've been kept to the Black Widow movie as I think that would've been a more suitable environment for the backstory for his eye rather than an alien cat infecting it. Other than that minor nitpick I thought this film was pretty good and I liked the 90s atmosphere they instilled in the film. 

• Like 1

I feel like people are sometimes not be able to remember their impression and knowledge at different times.

Like the MCU is now rather big, certain characters lived through and showed reactions to... that makes them in a way more complex than usual in movies.

but that was not the case during their intro movies

So what went Thor through in Thor 1? Simple said:

Got kicked out for being in a way too full of himself, his powers stripped. Does know himself as far as ppl look at themselvs for no specific reason. Finds support, gets powers back after he had learned something about how not to be so full of himself. (I do like him, no misunderstanding please)

Still has doubts, is not at 100% potential, reasons incl not opning up to those.

IM 1 rich, drunk party boy,...loud 'see me' showman, ignorant, talented,... looses control over the company, gets huge power, finds and looses friend during captivity. Is still a drunk partyboy and loud showman. but finds a reason to do and be more.

CA1 and Hulk have to fight and adjust to way more impactful things. Nothing judgemental.

CA starting out based on volutnarily offer himelf, has to get accepted,.. has team to support him.

Brings with him the experience to being  combat team leader.... (army vs air-force pilot, complete other kind of interaction)

Hulk, change bigger impact, as not prepared, no psych nearby... and pretty impactful powers

After movie one he still has not acceptes himself, needs more time Has to hide,.. loner, sceptical

Perfect,

I hate movies, where after a big trauma / change ppl have, overcome them wihin the hour

That is what they ~ were after movie 1 in a way

CM had and has to go trough way more impactful changes.

the often enough mentioned adaptions to two very much differing lives in one mind,... one 'raised' as a blind hater, one as someone who cares...., the freshly found out realising about the death of a person she admired, and how to work, adjust,... first time free / unhindred character see pre accident, parents, Air-Force (no combat then.), retraining Kree with control thing, ....

Its another kind of story.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Liked the first ~75% of this movie... all the way until the climactic battle scene where she goes Super Saiyan and plows through the Kree with way too much ease. That ran into the Superman problem where the hero is just too powerful so there's no tension. The best action scene was probably the Independence Day canyon scene homage with Rambeau vs Minerva.

7.5/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd rather have had a much stronger villain for sure. That said, it's her origin story. The real badass villain is in end game. Even with everything they have with her and the rest of the group, many will die in the next film.

• Sad 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:34 AM, filmlover said:

As someone who grew up in the 90s I highly appreciated all of the references in this.

Also I'm sure it's been said a lot in this thread (don't feel like going back and reading 20 pages) but that Stan Lee tribute during the Marvel logo followed by "Thank You Stan" was a really nice touch.

100% agreed. I knew they would do a Stan Lee tribute in CM (first MCU film to be released since his death) but they found a really classy way to do it without being mawkish or corny.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Part of why Captain America: The First Avenger works despite some flaws in the 2nd half is we get to see Steve Rogers before the serum. We know that what makes him special isn't the serum but his character and we are shown not told that. 

I understand that they felt they had to change up the origin structure for Captain Marvel but in doing so robs Brie Larson the opportunity the show why Carol is strong and powerful even without the powers she is given. There's a bit too much telling and not showing in this film to completely nail the character down.

I agree. I understand why they wanted to do something different with Carol's origin, but the flashbacks should have had a few actual complete scenes, rather then quick takes. "Don't tell, show" is a basic rule of filmmaking.

And the whole "Humans always get up and try again" bit was a bit clichéd. I kept on expecting hearing Alfred's voice saying "We fall down so we learn to get up, Master Bruce"...

I enjoyed the film, though it was overall a good film, but it had some fairly seriously flaws.

I would give it a "B"..better then some Marvel offerings, but not in the same band as their best films.

I would not be surprised if learn more about Carol's past in future films.

We know nothing about her childhood, in fact only things we know is she is a graduate of Colorado Spings (THe US Air Force Academy  ) from the USAFA on the sweat suits in the rope climbing scenes, and she was a F-16 Pilot, and that is about it.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, OncomingStorm93 said:

It goes beyond no one calling her Captain Marvel. I'm fine with that, I don't need it to be that explicit. But there is 0% of an explanation as to why this film is called Captain Marvel.

I suspect in future films she will not be called Captain Marvel...but Captain Danvers, sure, She has USAF captian's insignia on her flight suit in the flashbacks.

5 hours ago, AndyChrono said:

Liked the first ~75% of this movie... all the way until the climactic battle scene where she goes Super Saiyan and plows through the Kree with way too much ease. That ran into the Superman problem where the hero is just too powerful so there's no tension. The best action scene was probably the Independence Day canyon scene homage with Rambeau vs Minerva.

7.5/10

Something about how overwhelmingly relaxed every character on the jet Rambeau was flying in all manner of wild maneuvers completely took me out of that action beat. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Not quite my tempo.  Had some good parts but pretty much felt the first 75% of it was one giant hot mess.  Liked the last 20 minutes.  Needed for Coulston, needed better use of sLJ.  Brie was definitely miscast imo as she just didn't have enough charisma to carry the role, in my opinion.  Might be the worst Marvel film to date.....except for Thor 2.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not quite my tempo.  Had some good parts but pretty much felt the first 75% of it was one giant hot mess.  Liked the last 20 minutes.  Needed for Coulston, needed better use of sLJ.  Brie was definitely miscast imo as she just didn't have enough charisma to carry the role, in my opinion.  Might be the worst Marvel film to date.....except for Thor 2.

Really? Hulk is way worse. Ant Man and the Wasp I felt was boring and generic with basically little purpose. Only marvel film I didn't see in theaters and thank god I didn't.

I also felt Brie was fantastic. Better directors and better script would have really pushed this movie into another level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Really? Hulk is way worse. Ant Man and the Wasp I felt was boring and generic with basically little purpose. Only marvel film I didn't see in theaters and thank god I didn't.

I also felt Brie was fantastic. Better directors and better script would have really pushed this movie into another level.

That's why I said IN MY OPINION several times.  

Hulk is not great.  Ant Man is terrific.  

Captain Marvel was uneven, poorly directed, abysmally written in some spots, poorly acted in areas and it wastes a terrific deaged Jackson.

Sorry, just not my tempo.  Thought it was a really poor effort.

• Like 6

Just now, baumer said:

That's why I said IN MY OPINION several times.  

Hulk is not great.  Ant Man is terrific.  

Captain Marvel was uneven, poorly directed, abysmally written in some spots, poorly acted in areas and it wastes a terrific deaged Jackson.

Sorry, just not my tempo.  Thought it was a really poor effort.

Interesting. I liked Ant Man. Sequel I put in the range of the Hulk. I enjoyed Suicide Squad more....so yeah. I tried to rewatch but couldn't finish it.