FlashMaster659

Monday - CM 5.2m

Personally I'm comparing CM's run to The Hunger Games because of the similar release dates and opening weekend. The Wonder Woman comparison doesn't work. CM is doing great in North America but it was never going to get WW style legs and it never needed too. CM is doing unbelievable numbers overseas but it seems like fans had too high expectations in North America. I was never comfortable with those Black Panther comparisons. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Personally if it misses by a bit on DOM yet shatters it by 300 million worldwide I'm not sure it matters. I liked Wonder Woman more, they failed on promoting that movie globally. It absolutely should have done 1+ billion.

Marketing isn't a single movie enterprise. It's building on what came before. CM has had a decade and ~20 films of pretty positive reception. WW had four years and three films, which were not generally positively received. It's not an apples to apples comparison. 

The first five MCU films also had pretty anemic OS grosses. It wasn't until film 6 that they got rolling OS. 

Oh, look. Aquaman was the 6th dceu film. What a coincidence*

*yes, it definitely is a coincidence. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

At the end of the day, when a superhero film (or any other film, period) gets the kind of multiplier/drops/holds that WW (and BP) got, regardless of date, competition, or opening, it definitely reflects solid word of mouth.

And then there's Aquaman.:WHATanabe:

It opened lowish even for a Christmas release, and many still believed MPR would win.

:ohmygod:And then the rest of the run happened. :sarah:

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Isn't that common to open around 100m or lower and be in the summer for a SH movies ? Ant Man, Captain America, Thor, Guardian of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Spider Man Homecoming,

None came close to that multiplier.

Thor, Iron Man, technically get called summer by conventional but realistically more late spring release in that most schools still in session in their first couple weeks.      

I’d say GotG did come close.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

And then there's Aquaman.:WHATanabe:

It opened lowish for Christmas and many still believed MPR would win.

:ohmygod:And then the rest of the run happened. :sarah:

My point exactly.

And I am sure that many people will say that "Aquaman only did that well in terms of legs because of the holiday frame and because it did not have any competion," which is absurd.

It did what it did because audiences loved it, much like they loved WW and BP.

That is why, to me, WW, BP and Aquaman's runs are the three most impressive superhero runs of the last few years. None of them were directly linked to Infinity War's overarching narrative, and two of them (WW/AQMN) were coming off awful franchise predecessors and were part of a mostly crappy, awfully received cinematic universe).

And they still managed, thanks to their inherent appeal to audiences, to have absolutely amazing word of mouth. Actually palpable word of mouth, not fanboy claims fueled by wishful thinking.

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Personally I'm comparing CM's run to The Hunger Games because of the similar release dates and opening weekend. The Wonder Woman comparison doesn't work. CM is doing great in North America but it was never going to get WW style legs and it never needed too. CM is doing unbelievable numbers overseas but it seems like fans had too high expectations in North America. I was never comfortable with those Black Panther comparisons. 

Its funny.  Further out I was expecting this to be a lot like a mini-version of Black Panther or a maxi-version of Wonder Woman.  Great Domestic performance that wasn't quite matched by what it got overseas.  My expectations for worldwide gross were very close- it just got there in a way that was completely unexpected to me.  Those overseas numbers are just bonkers.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Isn't that common to open around 100m or lower and be in the summer for a SH movies ? Ant Man, Captain America, Thor, Guardian of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Spider Man Homecoming,

None came close to that multiplier.

That's true. Probably female audience don't always rush to theaters on opening weekend?

8 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Its funny.  Further out I was expecting this to be a lot like a mini-version of Black Panther or a maxi-version of Wonder Woman.  Great Domestic performance that wasn't quite matched by what it got overseas.  My expectations for worldwide gross were very close- it just got there in a way that was completely unexpected to me.  Those overseas numbers are just bonkers.

Yeah, for a long time I was thinking 1.1-1.2 with a bit under 50% DOM. Instead will be 1.1-1.2 with like 35% DOM. If it had delivered more on the quality might have gotten within 100M of BP WW.

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 minute ago, shuotong said:

That's true. Probably female audience don't always rush to theaters on opening weekend?

I am not sure, if we look at the twilight/hunger games Thursday previews numbers, The Fault of our stars, 50 shades, etc... female franchise can be quite rushed on theater OW, I think that distinction is more age than gender ? Horror is quite female skewed and do not tend to be a leggy genre. But you could be right.

I think how strong it was on the older demo could be in play here, rare for such good reviews to be embargoed that close to the release date ?