Eric Prime

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

36 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

Sorry, for going off topic, but I had a quick question about Box Office Mojo's numbers in Belgium and I wasn't sure where to ask.   (My sister lives in Belgium, which is why I am interested)

For two week in Belgium ("February 20-24" and "February 27-March 3"), Alita Battle Angel disappears from Box office Mojo's numbers.  Is this normal?  Also, why does it happen?  Thx

Reveal hidden contents

(Note:  Is there is a better place or way to ask this type of question, please let me know.)

Take BOM territory charts with a grain of salt, the vast majority are incomplete. there very few territories they get complete or near complete charts. Most of the time its either data the studio/distributor has given on a title or they have found it from some other source. Yeah the two weeks you mention Alita missing it was #1 also example in chart 20-Feb Glass is #6 it was actually #15 for the weekend(so 8 other films missing). Also note that they don't have a numbering system in the TW (This week)column meaning they actually don't know the proper ranking as they have incomplete data. 

Edited by Rthmar-vell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

DAMN! Those are great numbers for both films (right?)!

Hoping for a bit more out of CM, but 15.5 would be fine.    

Pretty great for Us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

I infer your reaction is supposed to suggest that we should be thrilled with a +68%, @fabiopazzo2? Not really supported by historical data, it would be in line with or only slightly above what should have been expected.

Edited by Thanos Legion

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I infer your reaction is supposed to suggest that we should be thrilled with a +68%, @fabiopazzo2? Not really supported by historical data, it would be in line with or only slightly above what should have been expected.

I agree with you. 

My initial prediction for Cm was low 30 so 35/36M is not bad imho 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Hoping for a bit more out of CM, but 15.5 would be fine.    

Pretty great for Us.

Considering the overperformance of US, this hold is strong. It keeps CM on track to make more than WW domestic. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

US was phenomenal, still trying to figure out wtf I just saw though

That's what I love about this film. Peele makes his audience think and come to their own conclusions about the meaning of his films. Movies like this make you go home and think and it stays with you for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah this. Spring break will inflate dailies soon enough and double features with Dumbo will help too.

While I agree with everything you’ve said, what if I told you that Captain Marvel would still do just fine without spring break and/or double features with Dumbo ;)

• Like 1