Eric Prime

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Neither does Bohemian Rhapsody... It does show more than The Imitation Game,  in that a whole two m/m kisses are more than zero, but neither really says much. I mean, if a Sam Smith biopic was that chaste there would be fewer objections, but this is Freddie Mercury, the approach was pretty sexless even for a PG-13 movie. BR gave audiences the Queen concert experience that they wanted and it's made tons of money, it's won a bunch of awards by giving people feels about old songs they already liked, that's more than enough success for it. Now there's talk of trying to lower the rating of the Elton John biopic by cutting out some gay sexual content, so great job Bohemian Rhapsody for setting the example, so empowering! :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure any sexual content , not only homosexual content will give a film R-rating right? Look at A star is born.... 

And, it shows more than m/m kiss, it show how the character deals with his sexuality, his struggle to stay in closet, his confession.....definitely very "gay" within its PG13 rating. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What did you think of the Suspiria remake?

I like that way better then US. But to be honest with you out of all of Dario argento's films suspiria just didn't really connect with me. And the remake had a lot of good things with it but overall it didn't connect with me all that much either. I'd still give it something like a 7 out of 10.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I think he hated it lol.  Easily my favorite movie of last year for me though.

I saw it twice. The first time I didn't hate it I just didn't like it all that much. But hate is reserved for movie like hereditary. When I saw suspiria the second time I appreciated it more than I liked it if that makes any sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Just noticed that Gloria Bell managed to land into the top 10. Wasn't super into the director's A Fantastic Woman, but still pretty cool. Hopefully I'll get around to seeing this pretty soon

I quite liked A Fantastic Woman but the original Gloria is a great film too. I would watch the original first before watching the remake. Kind of like with Haneke's original Funny Games and his remake, watching the original makes the remake a much better experience. 

3 hours ago, Heroicpiglet said:

Us will not make much money in my country (South East Asia) it seems. People are yawning and looking bored during the film. It has too much of American politics which is not matter much here.

See I completely understand the reactions it's getting in your country. if this wasn't made by Jordan Peele and it was the exact same movie I don't think it would be getting nearly the positive critical reactions nor would as many people say they liked it. It is in my opinion a relatively boring movie and it's just way too silly for me to like it. But in the United States it's the perfect movie at a perfect time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curtis1986 said:

So happy for the massive success of Us. Jordan Peele is now officially one of the top directors box office  wise and critically wise

I wouldn't go so far as that just yet. this is his second film. Let's see what happens with his third one before we start anointing him the way you have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

See I completely understand the reactions it's getting in your country. if this wasn't made by Jordan Peele and it was the exact same movie I don't think it would be getting nearly the positive critical reactions nor would as many people say they liked it. It is in my opinion a relatively boring movie and it's just way too silly for me to like it. But in the United States it's the perfect movie at a perfect time.

If Us had been made by anybody but Jordan Peele the movie simply wouldn't even exist at all. It's distinctly a product from him.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

The U.K. opening of $3.7 million - up about 40% on Get Out’s opening, but I thought it would open a bit bigger. 

Get Out had nearly a 5x multiplier though, so Us could well finish in the $15 million range 

Get Out opened on the same weekend as Beauty and the Beast in the UK so I’m not surprised Us did better. 

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I wouldn't go so far as that just yet. this is his second film. Let's see what happens with his third one before we start anointing him the way you have. 

Fanboys usually appoint directors after their first film and the 2nd turns out to be shit.

53 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Those empty seats were photos taken 45 minutes before the movie started and were early in the morning.  No shit they were empty.  Not nearly as many people see movies early in the morning, and if they do, they don't get there 45 minutes beforehand.

Plus, it's anecdotal evidence.  I can offer just as much evidence for you, and say that when I saw Captain Marvel, my showing was sold out.  Checking ticket sales at my theater today, it seems to be selling well throughout the day.

Not to keep this going anymore, but when I started thinking about all that it would take for anyone to actually do this, it is beyond ridiculous.

I don't know if it was the origin of this conspiracy, but I read a tweet talking about a theater that had 25 seats per show that were empty while being sold.

The big question is how do they know how many tickets to buy each day????

Seriously, this movie performed almost exactly like every other MCU movie, so they would have to be mind readers, or they didn't actually buy tickets.  Also, if they bought this many on opening weekend, they would have to buy tickets every single day to keep up the appearance.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Did you not like US because you hoped for a more traditional horror type movie and it fell of the mark? I'm so confused as to if I will like this film or not haha.

I just didn't like it because I didn't care for the story and there was way too many plottholes and it just didn't really appeal to me. It really wasn't silent horror movie either in my opinion. But maybe you shouldn't listen to what other people are saying just go find out for yourself.

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If Us had been made by anybody but Jordan Peele the movie simply wouldn't even exist at all. It's distinctly a product from him.

Let's pretend that we live in an alternate universe and some other filmmaker made the exact same film that we saw on screen over the weekend, I don't believe it would get the same reactions that it's getting with Jordan peele's name attached to it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Not to keep this going anymore, but when I started thinking about all that it would take for anyone to actually do this, it is beyond ridiculous.

I don't know if it was the origin of this conspiracy, but I read a tweet talking about a theater that had 25 seats per show that were empty while being sold.

The big question is how do they know how many tickets to buy each day????

Seriously, this movie performed almost exactly like every other MCU movie, so they would have to be mind readers, or they didn't actually buy tickets.  Also, if they bought this many on opening weekend, they would have to buy tickets every single day to keep up the appearance.

Dan Murrell used his weekly box office video to break down all the conspiracy theories about Captain Marvel, it's so clearly people pressed as paninis perpetuating them. It's like the internet has made people worse about accepting the fact that stuff gets to be popular whether they personally like it or not. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

Let's pretend that we live in an alternate universe and some other filmmaker made the exact same film that we saw on screen over the weekend, I don't believe it would get the same reactions that it's getting with Jordan peele's name attached to it.

I do not agree with you at all.  It's getting the reactions it's getting because people genuinely love it.  It's hard to fake your love for something just because someone's name is attached to it.  By that logic, Interstellar would've been just as well reviewed as every other Nolan film.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 10

top 10 of the year so far i'm bored let's go

1. Us

2. Glass

3. Climax

4. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

5. Alita: Battle Angel

6. Transit

7. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

8. High Flying Bird

9. Greta

10. Leaving Neverland

Apollo 11, HDD2U, and Shazam are just outside for me

• Like 1

The Blumhouse model does work for movies  but oddly it doesn’t work for television series, Blum has said that there is no incentive for TV creators to do a show on a low budget and more creative freedom because they can get creative freedom and more money already 

Edited by Jonwo