Eric Prime

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The prominent weekends this year that look like they are hurting are the July 12th weekend (though the box office really might need time to breathe by this point, especially since it revs up again), August 9th (unless you're kidding yourself about Artemis Fowl - Dora or New Mutants should move here), and most especially  November 1st, which is a huge great weekend that is dying on the vine with Charlie's Angels and Terminator looking like potential/likely flops. November 8th was really hurting too until Doctor Sleep moved in - I think that breaks out, though I'm not sure about Sonic. Christmas Day itself is in need of some big releases, since Star Wars/Cats/Jumanji will have already been out - I guess they can market Little Women and Call of the Wild as big events.

This year could in the end recover from a weak, weak start to set another overall record.

I know that being the dude who coined "Chalabae" makes me sound biased, but I feel like Little Women is primed to be a Django/American Hustle kind of performer. Great director, broad appeal, starry cast, iconic book. If it garners major Oscar consideration, it's a wrap.

6 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Do you guys know that there is a whole subreddit that follows the box office reporting that is done here and bases their thread upon our assessment of movies box office wise? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/ 

Makes sense. I first came here because when we discussed box office for Star Wars/comic book movies at SuperHeroHype this site was often referenced.

5 minutes ago, tawasal said:

It just all happened in this thread alone. one group likes a certain movie and another dislikes that movie and they are both trying to convince each other that their opinion is invalid.

Like or hating a movie is not an opinion (that a day to day language shortcut), it is a taste, no one would ever try (outside in a joky way) try to convince you that you like chocolate if you do not like it.

Opinion is somewhat different than taste, the way to distinguish opinion from taste, to be an opinion it must be possible for it to be wrong, it could be almost impossible to determine it or highly subjective, but must be possible to be wrong.

For example:

1) I like that humanity accomplished the mission to go to the moon. (taste)

2) It was a net benefit for humans to go to the moon (opinion)

I would not go over all the discussion (but maybe I will), but is it possible that it didn't started with a : Back from US, didn't work for me.

But someone expressed what he perceived issue with the movie and people arguing over are those really significant issue, bad artistic choice, etc....

And one says that people who liked certain movies shouldn't have an opinion. Or someone saying that some people loved a movie just because they wanted to. 

Quote ? Was it someone saying: you has someone that liked Movie 43 should stop expressing yourself on message board, everything you say is useless pollution knowing your taste or you person that like Movie 43 should know how taste can vary a little bit (using movie 43 for a movie I liked very much that people in general seem to have deeply hated)..

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I wish we had more movies like The Upside's performance rather than big opening and then big fall. And more surprises rather than expected hIts. 

Don’t worry. Detective Pikachu is coming with the big opening, and big increases. 

9 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Is it right to say because of the dropping sales of comic books means that the MCU will also drop? CBM aren't any longer just for CB fans but for a larger audience that don't read the B's. 

I would imagine there was almost no link between the 2 right, that about no one bought a comic books in the 2000s ?

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Quote ? Was it someone saying: you has someone that liked Movie 43 should stop expressing yourself on message board, everything you say is useless pollution knowing your taste or you person that like Movie 43 should know how taste can vary a little bit (using movie 43 for a movie I liked very much that people in general seem to have deeply hated)..

I don't remember who but someone said that who ever thinks MIB or ID4 as masterpieces is worthy a discussion or something along those lines.  

1 hour ago, PDC1987 said:

Are we really still debating film quality with a guy who once said ID and MIB were masterpiece films? Let him say his piece and let it go, or at last save it for film review threads.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would imagine there was almost no link between the 2 right, that about no one bought a comic books in the 2000s ?

this guys illustrates what I mean perfectly. I timed it so you don't have to watch the whole video. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nova said:

Don’t worry. Detective Pikachu is coming with the big opening, and big increases. 

I don't know if it any longer is just jokes or if we are being serious. 

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

So the new theory now after the Disney paychecks to critics is that Disney is buying entire screens to make Captain Marvel look like a success? Oh man I can totally enter that train because why the fuck not. 

3ca2a722a982d9482a6f12075879d22b.jpg

:hahaha::hahaha::Venom:

20 minutes ago, Mulder said:

April and May are going to be absolutely insane this year. Also yeah I agree that June will mainly be boosted by the legs from Godzilla and Rocketman (Potentially @Rocketman we'll see if it gets the same GA love BR got). MIB International and the animated duo of TS4 and Pets are the three most likely candidates to save June because Dark Phoenix certainly won't.

August should be interesting - it doesn't have any monthly record contenders, but I think Hobbs and Shaw and Dora should both be big and it is deep enough to sprinkle a breakout or two somewhere in there.

4 hours ago, john2000 said:

yeah bc 20 empty theaters mean a lot compare to 4000 yeah ok buddy

1. NIRD

2. see later

3 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Not to keep this going anymore, but when I started thinking about all that it would take for anyone to actually do this, it is beyond ridiculous.

I don't know if it was the origin of this conspiracy, but I read a tweet talking about a theater that had 25 seats per show that were empty while being sold.

The big question is how do they know how many tickets to buy each day????

Seriously, this movie performed almost exactly like every other MCU movie, so they would have to be mind readers, or they didn't actually buy tickets.  Also, if they bought this many on opening weekend, they would have to buy tickets every single day to keep up the appearance.

48 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

....aters, there were some emptish auditoriums, but if you want to push for that angle you'll only notice them and not the sold out ones (since you won't be actively looking for them)

I think that guy at YT that did the fact Vs.... thing/clip (or was it Mendelson, or...?) told something about fraud attempts by Chineses cinema owners, who tried to proof them not having sold tickets with those pictures, to not have to send money-splits for the sold tickets to whereever Chinese owners send their money to.

I did not check it out for myself, only to point at additional possibilities for those kind of pictures

55 minutes ago, tawasal said:

If you have autoplay off, then you are fine.

I still think it shold not get linked too.

Incl for e.g. if I just did a cleaning out of all cookis,.. in depth, I might not remember that means the autoplay is sadly on position on again....

= not all people stop their autoplay or have it always on automatic off.

Every single one of them ho does use it, add to their 'prominence' and income

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

August should be interesting - it doesn't have any monthly record contenders, but I think Hobbs and Shaw and Dora should both be big and it is deep enough to sprinkle a breakout or two somewhere in there.

will it though?

26 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Makes sense. I first came here because when we discussed box office for Star Wars/comic book movies at SuperHeroHype this site was often referenced.

just out of curiosity, in what sense do these other places reference this site? Do they bring up our early numbers, or the users' analysis of the numbers? Or are we referenced as some kinds of trolls or something :lol: 

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

just out of curiosity, in what sense do these other places reference this site? Do they bring up our early numbers, or the users' analysis of the numbers? Or are we referenced as some kinds of trolls or something :lol: 

No, it's not like a negative/trollish way. They just report the numbers through Charlie or whoever else in here that reports the numbers to us. 

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Haha, nah BOT isn't trolled in the slightest. We would just refer to the trades for numbers or talk amongst ourselves about numbers and every so often someone would say "Over at Box Office Theory the source is saying x number for the weekend". Finally I came over to see for myself and the rest is history! I came over for Rogue One's opening weekend. Would have liked to have been here for Age of Ultron. We were having meltdowns over at SHH! I learned a tough box office lesson after that.

• Astonished 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

I learned about this place from the reddit on BP weekend. Still pretty active over there but the quality of discussion here is higher.

Yep, it's not even close anywhere else. I've learned so much here and I'm very thankful for it.