CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

Since we’re talking sequels with big drops, King of the Monsters had a pretty big drop from the 2014 Godzilla movie. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t because a bunch of Aaron Taylor Johnson fans were mad that he wasn’t in it. 

Edit: Another example would be the sequel to the 2014 Ninja Turtles movie. That made less than half what the first one did at the domestic box office.

Edited by WittyUsername

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Since we’re talking sequels with big drops, King of the Monsters had a pretty big drop from the 2014 Godzilla movie. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t because a bunch of Aaron Taylor Johnson fans were mad that he wasn’t in it. 

Edit: Another example would be the sequel to the 2014 Ninja Turtles movie. That made less than half what the first one did at the domestic box office.

G2014 had really awful legs too due to audience WOM, that paired with KOTM dropping in the middle of a BUSY summer didn't do it any favours.

Just saw this, and it’s definitely my favourite of the three. I would rank it probably 6th overall in the wider Wizarding World franchise. 

First of all, this is SO much more coherent than CoG, which was one of the key reasons why that film suffered heavily. The direction of the film is clear, even if there are a lot of different characters and story arcs (not all of which add much to the overall progression of the story), but are engaging nonetheless.

Law and Mads truly excelled in this, and their chemistry together was great. In fact the whole cast and acting was strong. I would say the criticisms surrounding the direction and confusion of what this series wants to be are warranted to a certain extent, but much less so for this film as the beasts represent a central pillar in the story, and  therefore don’t really feel like a side piece at all. 

One thing that has really stuck with me was the political undertone of the movie, and how much it resonates with the current geo-political climate, especially in Europe. Because of this, I felt instantly more connected on an emotional level than in the previous films. Added to the fact this explores Potter lore and deeper relationships, the film is much more memorable.

Regarding the more technical aspects of the film, the CGI is exquisite, the action sequences were exciting, and the sets were stunning and very detailed which help to fully immerse the audience. Also really enjoyed James Newton Howard’s score. 

I would say the main criticisms I have are that at times the pacing is off, and there were scenes that were a little drawn out and slow. But this didn’t impact my overall enjoyment of the film. 

All in all, I found this to be a thrilling adventure with a lot of heart, and a HUGE improvement over CoG. More importantly, if this is to be the end of the series, it ended on a high and satisfying note for me. 

My audience was also great and it was clear they enjoyed the film as there were many scenes where the crowd was quite reactive. Hoping for good WOM, even if I have accepted that this is likely going to drop significantly from the previous film, which is a shame as this really deserves to be seen on the big screen! 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 14

One thing i would add to my feelings about the movie and i totally agree with @Heretic there is that the 3rd act of this film is immensely better than the one from Crimes of Grindelwald. This film actually ends on a satiesfying note which could very well impact the WOM in a positive way.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

The third movie dropping has less to do with Depp and more to do with how awful the last film was. I was a die hard HP fan as a kid but CoG was such a disaster that I'm out for good.

So were you really a die hard HP fan as a kid but all it took was an admittently awful entry to make you entirely disinterested for good? Yeah, not buying it. You can't have been a die hard fan. Die hard fans are more loyal than this.

18 minutes ago, Xavier said:

So were you really a die hard HP fan as a kid but all it took was an admittently awful entry to make you entirely disinterested for good? Yeah, not buying it. You can't have been a die hard fan. Die hard fans are more loyal than this.

I work with someone who lives and breathes Potter. We got tattoos two weeks ago and she got a Potter one. She had no idea Fantastic Beasts 3 was out here yesterday until I asked her if she was going. I think a large section of the Potter fanbase have simply shrugged these movies off - not due to controversies (she really couldn't care less), but due to not being grabbed by them.

42 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I work with someone who lives and breathes Potter. We got tattoos two weeks ago and she got a Potter one. She had no idea Fantastic Beasts 3 was out here yesterday until I asked her if she was going. I think a large section of the Potter fanbase have simply shrugged these movies off - not due to controversies (she really couldn't care less), but due to not being grabbed by them.

Some fans will consume every piece of content from particular franchise whereas others consume on a case by  case basis. I consider myself  to be a pretty big Star Wars fan and I've not even watched the Boba Fett show yet, I'll get to it eventually but I just never felt the urge to see it right away. 

1 hour ago, Xavier said:

A lot of people have a "What have you done for me lately?" mentality when it comes to the content they watch. If they don't like the direction something is going they tap out....until it gets good again then they'll be back. After all the hullabaloo The Last Jedi caused you'd think the next movie would've flopped, and yet fans still went to go see Rise of Skywalker. People can be real fickle.

Edited by clockwork

19 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Ive not said it was the sole reason but youd have to have been living under a rock for the last few years to not see all the backlash created in firing Johnny. It would have had some contribution, even if just a small one

1 hour ago, Xavier said:

Die hard fans of Potter can change in 10 years. I know a few people who listen to Potter Audio books from start to finish atleast a few times a year but still dont have much interest in these spinoffs

3 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I was just saying general awareness is so low.

3 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

My wife's a HUGE Potter fan, all the books, illustrated editions, movies, merch etc. Even watched the reunion at midnight when it dropped. She watched the first 2 Fantastic Beasts movies on OD.

She has no interest in watching this one at all after the last one. The franchise feels like an obligation to her at this point.

I watched it, it's certainly better than CoG, probably somewhere with the first. Average movie.

Two friends of mine who are casual fans and they never even watched first two movies really liked it.

Edited by WeThrones
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

I watched it, it's certainly better than CoG, probably somewhere with the first. Average movie.

I will reserve judgement until I've watched it myself, but if we end up with an average series it's really disappointing with all the wasted potential from that world. 

Edited by TheBigYawn