Eric is Quiet

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

They're still probably gonna want to wait and see if this actually amounts to anything. I wouldn't expect any kind of public announcement at Cannes now at least, they don't want to catch strays from this.

It won't.  

I don't think this will have anything to do with whether or not there's a US distributor who buys in.  

The film will be what matters.  

I have no doubt the accusations are true. But there is a pretty big difference between "trying to kiss women" and sexual assault. One of those is a crime that is/should be punished. The other is a gross guy being gross. (who probably actually has succeeded before, and was never reported on)

Posted (edited)

Oh brother, of course they wait until the film is trying to come out, and everyone just assume it is true, good grief. And trying to act like a director smoking weed (on a self funded set no less) is some breaking news in 2024 is actually kind of hilarious. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

The amount of outright ageism in this thread is horrific. You cannot just cherry-pick which forms of discrimination you like and dislike, doesn't work that way if one cares about being consistent. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

if it isnt, it should be considered unethical to write about kisses without mentioning if they were on the cheek or the mouth, one is a story the other isn't; it seems like a producer claimed they were just on the cheek, if thats the case, then the guardian seriously sucks

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

I see the Snyderites have hijacked this thread.

3 hours ago, Eric the IF said:

Moderation

@dudalb has been threadbanned for 24 hours for not listening to the staff and trolling Snyder fans. Next time, please listen to a moderator when they give out warnings.

On 5/8/2024 at 9:17 PM, dudalb said:

I wish people would actually read tha last few pages of a thread before posting

• Haha 1

I mean I don't know about you, but non-consensual kissing, even if it's on the cheek and "isn't sexual", is really fucking gross and Coppola shouldn't do that shit. And if that's somehow ageist to not do something creepy, then I guess I'm cool being ageist then.

• Like 9
  • ...wtf 1

46 minutes ago, Eric the IF said:

I mean I don't know about you, but non-consensual kissing, even if it's on the cheek and "isn't sexual", is really fucking gross and Coppola shouldn't do that shit. And if that's somehow ageist to not do something creepy, then I guess I'm cool being ageist then.

Yeah the whole let dirty old men be dirty old men has really got to stop.

Maybe it’s just because I’ve skimmed over the last few pages, but what’s with the ageism accusations I’ve been seeing here? Are people trying to suggest that calling out Coppola for (allegedly) not understanding boundaries is ageist? 

Lets go with the "uhhh it wasnt sexual" argument some people are throwing around here. Kissing topless women is not non-sexual even if it is on the cheek. And according to the article he says he was trying to get them in the mood.

Anyways, I'll probably watch this movie but any of the excitement I had for it kinda petered out after hearing about it.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I think there's a huge elephant in the room which is "are women he supposedly kissed okay with that?" We don't know if it was consesual or not, all we have is some anonymous douchebag claiming that he saw the old dude kissing the cheek of some strippers without context and was offended by it, but I have yet to see complaints from the actual women. So why are you offended on behalf of people you don't know? I assume ageism part excel mentioned is if young Tom Cruise kissed those women on the cheek in exactly the same context, there would've been no story, nothing, so it's creepy only because the dude who kissed them is old? And I remember very well Cruise kissing his female co-stars on the cheek on premieres, where's inquisition about that? So if that's something that can destroy your interest in the movie, I assume you really don't like Kubrick's movies because what he did behind the scenes is much much worse than this nothing sandwich.

Edited by Firepower

If one of the most famous directors of all-time was assaulting extras on the set, in full view of the crew, methinks this story would've come out like...the day it happened? Or in one of the MANY stories about the troubled production. Not a few hours before its first screening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sheesh. This escalated quickly. My lack of faith is that he hasn't made any decent since 1979. Looks a film made by someone that's out of touch and has made a film in a long, long time.

Kissing on the cheek? Puffing some sweet leaf on set? Yeah. No problem with that here.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sheesh. This escalated quickly. My lack of faith is that he hasn't made any decent since 1979.

Decent since 1979? He hasn't made a masterpiece since 1979, but he's done plenty of decent movies since 1979. You don't make The Godfather and Apocalypse Now every day.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Maybe it’s just because I’ve skimmed over the last few pages, but what’s with the ageism accusations I’ve been seeing here? Are people trying to suggest that calling out Coppola for (allegedly) not understanding boundaries is ageist? 

You know the old saying, if it’s white it’s alr-.

Edited by YM!

23 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Decent since 1979? He hasn't made a masterpiece since 1979, but he's done plenty of decent movies since 1979. You don't make The Godfather and Apocalypse Now every day.

I guess Dracula was okay. The others... Nah. None decent. Rumble Fish, Jack and Godfather III were especially bad.

I get that the timing of all the hit pieces is ringing some alarms and the need of ppl to be on Coppola's side as the earnest/ambitious artist in the war with greedy Hollywood heads and all that, but it's also not unheard of that a person in power would be abusing that power over ppl working for them. It doesn't matter if Copolla himself sees actions like kissing ppl on the cheek as innocent or even an attempt at creating a cute/chill/relaxed/friendly environment, if the vibes are off and get turned even more off for the ppl on the receiving end of his "gestures". Most of that stuff also doesn't get out while the film is in production/the incidents are happening or even until years after the film is out... and timing really just shouldn't be a card thrown against anyone who feels they were harassed to invalidate them.

• Like 3