cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

Out now, how did the same people involved in the first Shazam who's so cool make this movie? Extremely disappointed with this, I thought the reviews would be exaggerated as it has been with other super hero movies, but man, this film was rough af 😰

• Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, Welcbr12 said:

Out now, how did the same people involved in the first Shazam who's so cool make this movie? Extremely disappointed with this, I thought the reviews would be exaggerated as it has been with other super hero movies, but man, this film was rough af 😰

Oh no. Did the VFX look Quantumania-level bad?

39 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Oh no. Did the VFX look Quantumania-level bad?

Somehow It's simpler, but worse??? 

To be fair, this film has half Quantumania's budget, so let's not be so hard with him about VFX 

The first and second acts are watchable to be honest, nothing terribly offensive level of bad, but man, the third act is a succession of "why yes" which It's like the script (that wasn't great at all tbh) dissolves In front of us like cotton candy in water

• Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

up to 84% on RT verified

Any chance this pulls a B+ cinemascore ? 

I haven't been looking very much at qualitative reviews but sure? F9 & TSS got a B+ with an 82% score and BoP got a 78%. Wouldn't bet on it but I wouldn't be surprised by either a B or B+.

If Shazam 2's marketing looked more like Shazam 1, I'd flag that vRT% does a bad job matching more reliable metrics for kids movies so perhaps there's a demographic mismatch warping scores downwards but I doubt that's the case here. Shazam 1's posttrak "family" audience matched their average of all films (~25%) and this film is sold as a more conventional end of the world PG-13 action-y riff on Shazam/Superhero-Big. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Can confirm that I was the only one in the theater for my 10:30 pm showing. On the one hand, it was nice having a big theater all to myself, like a little private screening just for me. On the other hand, probably not a great sign for what's in store for the rest of the weekend 😬.

• Astonished 5

37 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Can confirm that I was the only one in the theater for my 10:30 pm showing. On the one hand, it was nice having a big theater all to myself, like a little private screening just for me. On the other hand, probably not a great sign for what's in store for the rest of the weekend 😬.

I am from the overseas and I also watched this alone. 😂 I like it when I have the whole cinema all to myself, but that's definitely not a good sign for the box office.

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I am from the overseas and I also watched this alone. 😂 I like it when I have the whole cinema all to myself, but that's definitely not a good sign for the box office.

Overseas here too, just me and 3 persons on the only IMAX screen in my city, that's worrying...

• Sad 1

As a warm up to John Wick: Chapter 4 next week - will watch Shazam 2 tomorrow. 

My wife seems much more interested in this, and Word of mouth in Singapore seems good; audience score is high at ticketing sites (but sample size still small now).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Really think we're reading too much into Cinemascore to evaluate a movie's audience pop/legs. Panther 2 was an A- and it still had kind of sucky legs. I can't see a Shazam movie that underperforms its opening week doing well.

Unless you´re talkin about another movie than Black Panther 2 but that had an A CS and had normal legs from a inflated OW. Besides that Cinemascore has for years been a great tool to determine legs for a movie. 

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Unless you´re talkin about another movie than Black Panther 2 but that had an A CS and had normal legs from a inflated OW. Besides that Cinemascore has for years been a great tool to determine legs for a movie. 

Nah, Cinemascore sucks. The whole "A- Dominion" thing points out how wonky it is. Waaaay too small a sample to be reliable. Basically the only way its useful is if "B- or below=bad legs" still holds. But for anything above B- it really doesn't work too well. Everyone forgets that Joker was only a B+, which is why I try to avoid relying on it like the plague.