cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Nah, Cinemascore sucks. The whole "A- Dominion" thing points out how wonky it is. Waaaay too small a sample to be reliable. Basically the only way its useful is if "B- or below=bad legs" still holds. But for anything above B- it really doesn't work too well. Everyone forgets that Joker was only a B+, which is why I try to avoid relying on it like the plague.

Eh no  it doesn´t. A B+ for a movie like the Joker is great score. The grades are dependent on movie type. CS is and always will been one of the best ways to predict legs. We´re steering off topic know so if you want to discuss this more send me a dm.

• Like 4

This movie is better than expected. I disagree with critics this round. A good crowd-pleaser with some worthy and earned emotional moment. I would even say some part of the movie is better than the first one. I know not many will bother watching the movie at all at this point but it is a really a movie that shouldn't miss if you want a feel-good entertainment over the weekend.   

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This movie is better than expected. I disagree with critics this round. A good crowd-pleaser with some worthy and earned emotional moment. I would even say some part of the movie is better than the first one. I know not many will bother watching the movie at all at this point but it is a really a movie that shouldn't miss if you want a feel-good entertainment over the weekend.   

The things these critics complained about this are the same they complained about LOVE AND THUNDER. But that's a fresh. 😅

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

The things these critics complained about this are the same they complained about LOVE AND THUNDER. But that's a fresh. 😅

Now that you mention it, it's true, I come out with the same feeling of disappointment in this movie, that I had in Love and Thunder 

9 minutes ago, Welcbr12 said:

Now that you mention it, it's true, I come out with the same feeling of disappointment in this movie, that I had in Love and Thunder 

I actually enjoyed both, but I understand the criticisms.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Also, I agree with the rotten score for both AM3 and BA. There were parts in those movie I felt tortured watching and for that they deserve to be rotten but that isn't how I felt for Shazam, not even L&T with fresh score is as feel-good as this. Totally enjoyable throughout.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Nah, Cinemascore sucks. The whole "A- Dominion" thing points out how wonky it is. Waaaay too small a sample to be reliable. Basically the only way its useful is if "B- or below=bad legs" still holds. But for anything above B- it really doesn't work too well. Everyone forgets that Joker was only a B+, which is why I try to avoid relying on it like the plague.

Cinemascore doesn't suck, you just suck at reading it.

You're mixing genres with different reception metrics among the GA and expecting one consensus which is never going to exist.

You're not going to get an A consensus from the GA for a film as bleak as Joker. That just isn't going to happen lmao. People who go see films like this have different expectations, and also part of the GA can react negatively if they thought they were going to watch a lighter film off the name and whatnot. But just by nature of what you're watching this is always going to be divisive.

Lighthearted family fun blockbusters get a completely different audience composition and expectations, people are showing up to dominion to see some fucking dinos man, they're not giving the film a B unless it's some f4antastic or morbius level piece of shit.

A metric is only as useful as the context you utilise it with, if you're trying to read Joker and Dominion cinemascores through the same lens no shit you're not going to get an accurate read. Different genres get different scores because they have different audience compositions, hence why horrors never get As for example. Get Out getting A- was huge and the film legged out fantastic, a SH or JW film getting A- is nothing special.

Obviously CS and even posttrak which covers more locations aren't perfect but the main problem here is that you're just using it wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I don’t know who this person is who tweeted this but it’s basically how I felt yesterday after watching the movie. Respectfully sharing not to question anyone’s opinions on the movie it just felt very relatable to how I view this movie, especially the second tweet. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I don’t know who this person is who tweeted this but it’s basically how I felt yesterday after watching the movie. Respectfully sharing not to question anyone’s opinions on the movie it just felt very relatable to how I view this movie, especially the second tweet. 

I am getting Aladdin 2019 vibe here actually. A totally serviceable, entertaining crowd-please got penalized for just doing cliched or standard pop-corn flick. The problem is, nowadays filmmaker or studio can't even make a standard pop-corn flick properly!  Look at those terrible VFX that happened over and over again in blockbusters space. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

IIRC Dominion behaved like an A- movie at the BO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am getting Aladdin 2019 vibe here actually. A totally serviceable, entertaining crowd-please got penalized for just doing cliched or standard pop-corn flick. The problem is, nowadays filmmaker or studio can't even make a standard pop-corn flick properly!  Look at those terrible VFX that happened over and over again in blockbusters space. 

Haven't seen Shazam 2, but the big difference between this and Aladdin is audience reception. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

Haven't seen Shazam 2, but the big difference between this and Aladdin is audience reception. 

Bigger difference will actually be the box office but that as well lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

This is why deadline also posting posttrak data is good. Dominion did well at box office at end of the day but it also had genuinely bad posttrak scores of 3 1/2 stars and 73% and 57% definite recommend. That's just not close to an A-. Just average them out. Joker; however, genuinely got a B+ style score across the board on OW. 

These aren't massively reliable surveys but we still get 2 polls (and whatever faith you place in vRT% voodo) to triangulate audience reception. you also really can't underrate genre/demo effects. The average grade given by U-21 for animation is literally an A cinemascore. I wish cinemascore didn't remove official demo splits from their website a decade ago (where this image's data was scrapped from)

jpim880-fig-0002-m.jpg

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1540-5885.2011.00880.x

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

I interpreted it as Shazam was the part of Billy's personality that was withdrawn because he was a depressed foster kid. But again, that makes less sense when he's not really a "kid" anymore. Shazam should have changed with Billy's age somewhat.

Shazam and Billy are, ostensibly, the same person. Shazam is still all Billy, just taller older and with powers.

Preview 3.5 Million; chances are very heavy that seals it fate at the box office.

I wonder if this film is not a Spiderman 3 scenario: The makers of the original film were pressured by the studio to take the film in a way they did not really want to go. We all know that Raimi just wanted to do his Sandman story and was pressured by the studio to shoehorn in Venom. I wonder if  Sandberg did not really want to do the League of Evil Monsters as the main villians..the mid credit sequence in the first film..certainly shows that is what he had in mind...but got presured by the studio to change to Mythological villians; probably to tie in with "Black Adam" since I am sure the idea was to have them face off in Shazam 3.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Shazam and Billy are, ostensibly, the same person. Shazam is still all Billy, just taller older and with powers.

That is the MCGuffin the whole franchise is built upon Shazam  has the mind and emotions of BIlly.