Porthos

Star Wars: The Clone Wars | Disney+ | Final Season Starts Feb 17 | Queen Ahsoka's Coming to Save us All

42 minutes ago, Menor said:

I really loved

Hide contents

the duel in general, but more specifically the way it ended. Really mirrored TPM with the way Maul had his opponent overmatched and on the ropes but faltered right when victory was at hand. Actually a perfect metaphor for his character in general.

Poor Maul.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Poor Maul.

Sam Witwer noted the Sisyphus like nature of Maul at a recent Celebration.  He keeps picking himself up off the ground after numerous failures.  That shows tremendous resiliency.

But he also noted it shows tremendous stubbornness as well.  He doesn't learn from his mistakes.  Or rather, he does in that he tries not to repeat the mistakes that led to the first fall, but he's still trapped in the obsessive power lusting nature of the dark side.  He's still obsessed with revenge and is rarely satisfied with what he has. 

To expand into my own thoughts,  Even by the time of Rebels, where he no longer dreams about personally overthrowing Sideous, he still tries to live through someone else and mold that person into a weapon of vengeance.   No matter what Maul does, he can't fill the emptiness inside of him, nor can he ever truly "let go" of his feelings of abandonment (both as a child and as Palpatine's first apprentice) as well as the resentment he clings to that "it should have been him".

He has some tremendous depth of character thanks to TCW and Rebels.  The latest wrinkle is him realizing the pawn like nature of his apprenticeship to Palps  and how that drove his plot in regards to Mandalore (keeping it on the non-spoily side here).

Tragic is one of the best words to use to describe Maul.  But he also had opportunity to walk away from it all (not many people survive crossing both the Jedi and Palpatine) but he never took it.  Even sticking around as a high level crime boss (leading Crimson Dawn) might have been enough for most.  But not for Maul.  Not only did he never truly re-examine his own failings after numerous chances or even consider that maybe the dark side wasn't a good deal after all, but he kept doubling down on his core failings: revenge and seeking more power.

"Poor Maul" indeed.  But not just for the reasons @Menor mentioned.  

• Like 4

I set the link to jump ahead to 7:46.  A few seconds of banter from the hosts set things up and then lead into about a 10m or so edited Q&A.

Not entirely sure when this was done.  "A little while ago" is all they said in the clip, so I presume it was this year, perhaps late last year.  Well worth watching. regardless. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

I set the link to jump ahead to 7:46.  A few seconds of banter from the hosts set things up and then lead into about a 10m or so edited Q&A.

Not entirely sure when this was done.  "A little while ago" is all they said in the clip, so I presume it was this year, perhaps late last year.  Well worth watching. regardless. 

I had to laugh when George said his favourite arc was the Droids one from S5. Because of course it is with how odd, weird and wacky it was. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I had to laugh when George said his favourite arc was the Droids one from S5. Because of course it is with how odd, weird and wacky it was. 

Given my posting history would you find it terribly surprising that it is one of my personal favs? :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I really enjoyed the Droid arc as a whole, and I think there's a good argument that "A Sunny Day in the Void" is the deepest and boldest that the show/Star Wars as a whole has ever gone. Such a great episode mixing hilarious dark humor with some surprisingly insightful dialogue ("so you were programmed?"). Not surprised at all that it's his favorite. I do hope that George at some point publicly comments on this final season, since the show meant a lot to him it would be nice to hear that he enjoyed it.

Btw @Porthos according to SW Leaks that Q&A was done sometime in 2018.

Edited by Menor
  • Thanks 1