sfran43

The Calm Before The Storm Weekend Thread: Estimates - Curse Of LaLlorona $26.51M | Shazam $17.34M | Breakthrough 11.0M | CM $9.10M

3 hours ago, Premium George said:

Yes. Their marketing budgets are not 1x or even 2x of production budget like a normal film. Get Out was estimated to have $80m p&a, correct me if I am wrong. US, conjuring, Annabelle movies would have been same too.

correct, according to deadline The Nun had a 90M  P&A budget. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This franchise is so fucked. Annabelle 3 looks like shit too.

Shazam!, Breakthrough, and Captain Marvel will be the only things that drop under 50%. Showtimes won't be getting slashed on the first two, and CM is experiencing the Endgame glow even better than BP did with IW.

Dumbo will probably hold okay too. You can not tell me that Cinderella staying steady on Ultron weekend was a coincidence.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Nah, critics see 3 hour movies all the time, this won't affect in any way. 

Considering EndGame is essentially a part 2 of the history they started on IW and the grand finale of this MCU saga, i'll be surprised with anything below 87-90% [and yeah i know Russos said this is a completely different movie in tone etc and i really believe that, but no matter what they say, it's still a single story told in 2 movies].

See, historically the franchises with the last movie split in half get better reviews for the second part:

Breaking Down I [25%] vs. Breaking Down II [49%]

Mockingjay I [68%] vs. Mockingjay II [71%]

Deathly Hallows I [77%] vs. Deathly Hallows II [96%]

Return of the King had the longest ending in the history of endings. Critics went absolutely nuts for it. 94% on MC I mean come on. Zero negative reviews, 1 person who was mixed out of 41 on MC.

4 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Lol why would a 3 hour run time hurt Endgame reviews?

I expect something similar to IW. Top critics are more mixed while fanboy "critics" rave about it

Ehh this one seams more streamlined than IW. I expect it to do a little better critically. 

3 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

I expect something similar to IW. Top critics are more mixed while fanboy "critics" rave about it

or it could be similar to DH2 if the conclusion is as grand and the finale is as epic as we've heard. fanboy critics at 96% while top critics at 100% RT :stirthepot:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Ehh this one seams more streamlined than IW. I expect it to do a little better critically. 

Same as DH Part 1 vs Part 2. In the end it was a movie with no real ending it's a miracle the reviews were as good as they were for Infinity War. End Game may get crazy good reviews.

32 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Wait wait wait... Batman & Robin is getting a Fathom re-release? Duuuude... 

Hide contents

Not gonna lie: I'd go hate-watch it if it was playing in my area.

All 4 of the Tim Burton/Schumacher films are getting re releases next month 

I don't know if it'll go that high; I feel like some critics like Ehrlich are bound to not like it if it feels messy - which it certainly has the potential to. It'll probably be crowd-pleasing enough to score high-80's/low-90's, since those kinds of films don't tend to be very divisive and the last 3 Russo ventures were big crowd-pleasers. Maybe if they went too ambitious, it could fall flat with some critics, but we won't know for sure until the screenings actually happen.

14 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

I can see critics moaning “it doesn’t need to be three  hours “ or some other shit 

3 hours ago, Premium George said:

Yes. Their marketing budgets are not 1x or even 2x of production budget like a normal film. Get Out was estimated to have $80m p&a, correct me if I am wrong. US, conjuring, Annabelle movies would have been same too.

They get that kind of P&A push once the metrics showing it should open are there too.

The very low budget one very often flop completely, but we do not hear about them, like some Blum movie are simply never released if the movie and marketing material you can make out of it does not test well enough. If they go all out on the spending, they usually have something solid.

That something harder to do with large movie, you pretty much have to release it and spend on it (even if it is a bad idea, human nature will make you do it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1