Eric Duncan

Avengers: Endgame Tuesday Thread (4/30): 33.11M (3rd best Tuesday ever, 2nd best non-opening)

Just now, Nova said:

It amazes how often Lionsgate shoots itself in the foot with either poor marketing (like Long Shot) or just god awful release dates. 

or when they do something really stupid like not letting Guillermo del Toro finish his trilogy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

or when they do something really stupid like not letting Guillermo del Toro finish his trilogy

Is that on Lionsgate, or is it on Avi Lerner? Or both? I forget how the Lionsgate/Millennium relationship actually works.

Edited by TServo2049

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I went to see The Long Shot today fam. It was a really funny and crowd pleasing movie. Fantastic chemistry between Rogen and Theron. Don't sleep on it like Lionsgate is doing by burying it with no marketing in a dead slot, go see it.

The trailer looked dreadful to me and it was always met with dead silence every time I caught it in cinemas. The reviews really caught me off-guard. And I've definitely been convinced to give it a try, so booked this Friday evening. The marketing really has been awful for it.

• Like 1

Just now, TServo2049 said:

Is that on Lionsgate, or is it on Avi Lerner? Or both? I forget how the Lionsgate/Millennium relationship actually works.

I don't know who did it.  All I know is Hellboy (2019) is fucking awful, one of the worst comic book movies ever made, and I'm gonna blame someone for it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, comparing boxoffice from different eras doesn't work. I understand that adjustment to inflation is supposed to do justice to old movies, but also had advantages that modern movies don't. best compare movies from the same era but leave the rest alone cause it isn't the same. once upon a time, movies didn't have competition form other media or 3-4 new releases per week, etc. 

the biggest advantage they had was if you EVER wanted to see the movie you had to see it in a theater. Now I think in the 60s they started doing a movie on TV on a Saturday night (they still did this at least on NBC until the 90s, because I remember watching this as a kid).

But the real game changer was the VCR. it was the 1st time people could simply buy a movie and watch it at home whenever they wanted. 

With the VRC the reason for going to the movies was to see it on the big screen instead of the small, and see it months sooner. Thus the era of the blockbuster began. Movie studious realized they had to make movies that would inspire people to want to see it as soon as possible and on the big screen.

I separate box office history into BVCR and AVCR (before and after)

What we are seeing now (last 10 years) is that the quality home entertainment systems has vastly improved so theaters are added in recliners to help match the comfort, and bigger and better premium formats to make it worth seeing on the better screen. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Right...ecause Guillermo del Toro has proven to be a massive box office draw in the past.

39 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, comparing boxoffice from different eras doesn't work. I understand that adjustment to inflation is supposed to do justice to old movies, but also had advantages that modern movies don't. best compare movies from the same era but leave the rest alone cause it isn't the same. once upon a time, movies didn't have competition form other media or 3-4 new releases per week, etc. 

There were 3-4 new releases per week, though. The studios were cranking out movies, both the big ones and the cheap Poverty Row outfits like Republic and Monogram, and before 1948, MGM/WB/Paramount/Fox/RKO owned their own theaters so they had a steady outlet for their product. TV really eroded the market and essentially served as a replacement for a lot of the bread-and-butter theatrical output. A lot of films were essentially situation/procedural type stuff but without recurring characters (though the stuff focused on particular actors and actresses might as well have been - That’s Entertainment even made gentle fun of this with regards to the Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland musicals). It was kind of like what’s happening with streaming now, except on a bigger scale.

Edited by TServo2049

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Right...ecause Guillermo del Toro has proven to be a massive box office draw in the past.

The new Hellboy is going to make less total than the original Hellboy’s OW unadjusted.  Del Toro is also fresh off his Oscar win.

Just now, baumer said:

To be fair, between letting an Oscar-winning director finish his modestly-successful but well-liked trilogy and rebooting with a movie that fails on all levels before it even gets to the box office receipts... going with the second option is not a good business decision.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just a pure stab in the dark but my guess is that end game falls by about 30% today.

That seems like a reasonable guess. Yesterday the first two showings in the AMC Dolby near me sold a total of 197 tickets. Today, the first two showings sold 159 total tickets. The prime showing for both days will be about the same (a sell out or almost); but the late show is lagging as it has sold only 1/8 of the tickets today as it did this time yesterday.

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

To be fair had Universal not made the worst scheduling decision of all time with the second film we probably wouldn’t be here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

To be fair, between letting an Oscar-winning director finish his modestly-successful but well-liked trilogy and rebooting with a movie that fails on all levels before it even gets to the box office receipts... going with the second option is not a good business decision.

Who honestly liked the first two hellboy's besides a small niche of nerds? The budget for the movies were excessive and the grossest were small. It made total sense why they did not let him finish his vision. Because nobody really cared for his vision.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don't know who did it.  All I know is Hellboy (2019) is fucking awful, one of the worst comic book movies ever made, and I'm gonna blame someone for it.

When I went to go see Rifftrax Live, we were able to go in during the end of Hellboy. I only saw one couple leave. They may well have been the only people in the showing. Sitting in a completely empty theater, watching a post-credit scene no paying viewer actually cared to stay for, was fitting.

I’m not mad, just a little disappointed, but I understand that either choice would have lost money. Maybe in a few years some other studio or producer or streaming service will be foolish enough to think vocal online nostalgia = wide interest, fund a Hellboy 3 with GDT and Perlman, and the fans will love it but nobody else will care. (Hey, with all the cancelled series and long-abandoned film franchises with vocal fanbases getting revived - even if they end up a whiff as far as attracting everyone else - it’s not a total stretch. Though I still wouldn’t bet on it.)

Edited by TServo2049

Just now, baumer said:

Who honestly liked the first two hellboy's besides a small niche of nerds? The budget for the movies were excessive and the grossest were small. It made total sense why they did not let him finish his vision. Because nobody really cared for his vision.

I suppose a small niche of nerds might be correct, given their box office, but I would argue the majority of people who saw the movies liked them. Even if we go by the generally-accepted metrics or RT, IMDB voting, audience reactions... They were well-liked, even if not adored (though there are loads of people who DO adore them - myself included, even though I never once picked up a Hellboy comic).

I honestly think with a third movie, Del Toro would have delivered one of the best, most consistent superhero trilogies ever. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I've ranted about it before, including a short comment on that movie's thread here, but I definitely agree. And not just one of the worst superhero movies, worst movies period. There was just soooooo much wrong with that movie.

• Like 3

Just now, FilmBuff said:

AndyK told me for a long time Endgame would ‘negatively affect’ the box office for Captain Marvel. Yeah, that wasn’t true at all. 

You don't know that! It might have increased 50% this past weekend had it not been for EG!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2