Joyous Legion

Disney+ MCU: The Falcon & The Winter Soldier | Featuring Captain Ughmerica and Battlestar Galactica

12 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

e did an awful job directing Thor The Dark World

if you think that director is the sole reason for the problems of the Dark World than I am not surprised about your ways to lay blame before looking into or forgetting lots of details of its background

To dismiss another’s country’s A\awards in that way does not help to improve the prejudice (or worse) impression I got.

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

if you think that director is the sole reason for the problems of the Dark World than I am not surprised about your ways to lay blame before looking into or forgetting lots of details of its background

To dismiss another’s country’s A\awards in that way does not help to improve the prejudice (or worse) impression I got.

I'm gonna blame the director of a movie or show (especially one like this that has one director) for being badly directed, the same way I'd praise a director for doing it well. You're being pedantic and digging into something that literally everyone does because I'm doing it to a show you like. 

And I don't really care about any awards from any country a person has won when I'm criticising something. The BAFTA award she won is a bigger deal but again don't care. It was just funny you brought up some completely random, minor award to say I'm wrong. I'm here criticising almost all the Best Picture nominees from this year and you think those awards are gonna change my opinion. I still think the show needed someone who can direct this show better because the directing is its weakest spot. 

29 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm doing it to a show you like. 

I am not even sure if I like it or not yet, I only have seen as a sum ~ half of the first episode yet, so its again interesting to see how you ‚give blame‘ without even asking, jumping to conclusions too fast.

Its not the director to blame if eg higher ups change things without asking (eg see one of the Wolverine movies) or even take over parts of all of the edit (see eg 13th Warrior), or if scenes are missing for reasons not in the hands of the director (eg if an actor dies or gets pregnant or can‘t travel or ends in jail or...., or a pandeminc is changing lots of details, or money promised is not there, equipment or filmed scenes get lost/stolen/broken/mishandled by customs, or...) or if a project is made for order, means the real creatives, the ones with an impacting say are other people.

I didn‘t brought it up based on what you criticized, I brought it based on how you worded your ‚critique‘, judgement....

edit: forgot to add: to dismiss another county‘s award system as unimportant again... 

beside that: won 6 times, nominated 5 times the Director‘s Guild of Canada is IMHO not ‚an unimportant award‘ = feels very judgmental at best = has nothing to do about the mini-series, just about how it gotten worded.

Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

I am not even sure if I like it or not yet, I only have seen as a sum ~ half of the first episode yet, so its again interesting to see how you ‚give blame‘ without even asking, jumping to conclusions too fast.

Its not the director to blame if eg higher ups change things without asking (eg see one of the Wolverine movies) or even take over parts of all of the edit (see eg 13th Warrior), or if scenes are missing for reasons not in the hands of the director (eg if an actor dies or gets pregnant or can‘t travel or ends in jail or...., or a pandeminc is changing lots of details, or money promised is not there, equipment or filmed scenes get lost/stolen/broken/mishandled by customs, or...) or if a project is made for order, means the real creatives, the ones with an impacting say are other people.

I didn‘t brought it up based on what you criticized, I brought it based on how you worded your ‚critique‘, judgement....

edit: forgot to add: to dismiss another county‘s award system as unimportant again... 

beside that: won 6 times, nominated 5 times the Director‘s Guild of Canada is IMHO not ‚an unimportant award‘ = feels very judgmental at best = has nothing to do about the mini-series, just about how it gotten worded.

Dude, she's not reading this and you're just being pedantic. I'm gonna say she did a bad job directing this like I would with everything else that I think is badly directed, like everyone else would too. Unless info comes out someone else ghost-directed it or butchered her work, that's what I'll do. If you're going to get grumpy about it, too bad.

And I didn't dismiss another country's award. I dismissed all awards. And yeah, it has nothing to do with the mini-series. Why did you bring it up then? 

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why did you bring it up then? 

I already answered that

To mini-series,.... the influence of a director is usually even less for a series than for an average movie. As much bigger the budget, as much mire a pre-existing franchise, the impact of a director, the possibilities.... decreases more and more. Not in every case, but more often than not. 

In the sum you seem to judge mostly in black and white, missing the many many shades of grey in between, also way too early on, dismiss / ignore every point for maybe adjusting to a less ‚one person is at fault’ judgement, and use a wording I‘d consider not balanced.

I don't think Walker is a bad guy from the outset, but you can see there's an arrogant entitlement to him and he micro-aggresses

My feeling is that he's going to get put through the ringer and broken, and comes out the other side as a true antagonist that is just pure ruthless aggression

I'm surprised at the push back against Walker after this recent episode. I mean sure he's still #NotMyCap but that opening locker room scene made me empathise with him. It does feel like he's just trying to do the job the best he can. 

I hope he doesn't get revealed as Homelander 2.0 because that's an easy out. I'd prefer no easy answers when it comes to the topics surrounding race and why the Government chose him, or why Sam should have the shield over him. All of that feels a bit diminished if he's revealed to be the secret villain, there's no nuance.

Him and Battlestar work better as the rival buddy cops to Sam and Bucky. 

I reckon what we're gonna see is the line that separates Captain America from a US Agent...so to speak.

Although I could see events pushing him towards villainy. In a sort of "I need to be stronger to be Captain America" kind of way.

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't know if this Walker guy is good or not but Wyatt Russell has given the best performance in the show so far.

I would actually like to second this. I don’t know if it goes far is best performance of the show, but he is really great at what he’s doing. And they cast him awesome. He just came out of the gate, and I’m like EFFFF this guy, get your Basic white bitch hands off of that shield, abort abort, abort.

And the way he’s just casually throwing around his privilege and arrogance. I hate him. The way that he was sitting in the back of that pick up, with his arms extended and that casual body language. And then out of nowhere he was just like I really need Cap’s wingmen. Like, First off, do not insult Sam that way. Second off, no you don’t. Because if you actually needed their help, you would’ve approached them before the whole thing started. You would’ve been respectful about the whole process. But you weren’t. Because you’re arrogant enough to think that you deserve that shield, even though you don’t.  And then in the police station, where he was just casually talking about Bucky like he had some type of ownership on him and what he does. Like he’s not your problem anymore, I got them under my control. Uggggggh. 

Go fuck yourself on something hard and unpleasant without lube.

So props to Wyatt Russell for making me have such a visceral reaction. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Cap said:

I would actually like to second this. I don’t know if it goes far is best performance of the show, but he is really great at what he’s doing. And they cast him awesome. He just came out of the gate, and I’m like EFFFF this guy, get your Basic white bitch hands off of that shield, abort abort, abort.

And the way he’s just casually throwing around his privilege and arrogance. I hate him. The way that he was sitting in the back of that pick up, with his arms extended and that casual body language. And then out of nowhere he was just like I really need Cap’s wingmen. Like, First off, do not insult Sam that way. Second off, no you don’t. Because if you actually needed their help, you would’ve approached them before the whole thing started. You would’ve been respectful about the whole process. But you weren’t. Because you’re arrogant enough to think that you deserve that shield, even though you don’t.  And then in the police station, where he was just casually talking about Bucky like he had some type of ownership on him and what he does. Like he’s not your problem anymore, I got them under my control. Uggggggh. 

Go fuck yourself on something hard and unpleasant without lube.

So props to Wyatt Russell for making me have such a visceral reaction. 

It’s the way he calls Bucky by his first name that grates on me. I’m just sat there thinking “no, that’s Mr Barnes to you”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

why Sam should have the shield over him.

TBH I am among the lot (if there's any), that put the Shield to a Museum. It was Steve Rogers Shield and his only. 

Only reason I made peace with Sam having it was because Steve game him that. If we were just going with physicals, I suppose Walker will beat Sam.

Walker was picked for his military record but he has no problem being a stooge.

What made Captain America was always following his heart even when the government authorities gave him orders to do otherwise.

Every movie in the Cap trilogy he disobeyed direct orders to stand up for what he believed in.

That's what makes him irreplacable.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

He really is more popular than Sam and Bucky rn. Not surprised though. He is doing really good job. 

More people are looking up the new guy than the actors who've been in the MCU for 10 and 8 years, who'd have thunk it. I do like the job he's doing though, I definitely don't hate him, I just want to see more of how he's approaching this Cap thing. He pulls off the comedy bits well, like the dorky salute when he introduced himself on the truck, and the bit where he tries to get Sam and Bucky to get in the car and they ignore him.

As far as Walker goes, I hope he is actually a good, but obviously flawed, guy who eventually realises that being Cap isn't just about stats and being regular good. Because if he's just evil it feels like they're just defaulting to Sam instead of Sam proving exactly why Cap is such a tough balance to achieve and not just any schmuck can pull it off. I do like how it's a redux of TFA in that they tried to give it to the guy who passed all the tests but Erskine was looking for things beyond the physical. Looks like they're going to have to learn that lesson again.

Speaking of that though, I just spoiled a friend about Sam becoming Cap eventually lol. I almost feel like putting this under a spoiler cut in case people don't know. :lol: She's not mad at me or anything but I feel bad because she had no idea. Oops.

• Haha 1