Legion Again

Disney+ MCU: The Falcon & The Winter Soldier | Featuring Captain Ughmerica and Battlestar Galactica

I'm not digging the direction. Very uneven for me, when the co-stars interact it's great but the rest.... bleh

I like what they're trying to do but I'm not sure I'm on board with it. 

Spoiler

Excited for Zemo and Sharon to pop in again though, much needed connection.

It's a well written episode but this show definitely could've gotten help from a better director. The lighting is ugly (it looks a lot of work there was done in post) and the implementation of the CGI is pretty iffy (just comparing that action sequence that's very similar to the one in Mando Chapter 15, the CGI in Mando is so much better), and it keeps cutting without any rhythm at all.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

better director

director is eg a BAFTA winner, also a 7-times CAN Director‘s Guild winner and more. Probably more achievements than quiet a lot of others in the industry, or eg here.

Personally I‘ll wait till

1. the series is finalized and

2. I know more about any project‘s background details in general and even more so during a pandemic till I look for someone to ‚blame‘.

In especially in a made on order project in general, and agan in especial for a TV series / mini-series

• Like 5

So?

I love some of his movies but Ridley Scott was nominated for 4 oscars and he still directs some pretty fucking awful movies from time to time. A director winning prizes doesn't automatically mean everything he directs after is automatically "well directed".

If the director has lost his voice, if the movie he's doing doesn't speak to him personally, it shows on screen. Direction is about vision.

Not saying that this director sucks but to me, something feels off and it's mostly the direction. It's not bad but it's flavorless and inconsistent. Like I'm not sure he really has an idea what he's going for in terms of overall cohesion.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

So?

I love some of his movies but Ridley Scott was nominated for 4 oscars and he still directs some pretty fucking awful movies from time to time. A director winning prizes doesn't automatically mean everything he directs after is automatically "well directed".

If the director has lost his voice, if the movie he's doing doesn't speak to him personally, it shows on screen. Direction is about vision.

Not saying that this director sucks but to me, something feels off and it's mostly the direction. It's not bad but it's flavorless and inconsistent. Like I'm not sure he really has an idea what he's going for in terms of overall cohesion.

Not disagreeing, but maybe I have another general approach, like am more used to wait longer for the finale or...? See I feel often season one of a series needs time to get in the rhythm of the story or...? So many behind the scenes influence at the beginning, needs time to get into the flow.

This case:

How to edit on the same level if eg the director is in CAN, the editor is somewhere else, and scenes planed are missing or done in a changed version not of the same level (crew smaller, other locations, not available cast at certain locations, maybe even eg staff getting sick, ....) based on COVID?

Yes, there is video conference, but I think the discussions during eg a break, the sound-boards, the bigger team around them,... are missing, less natural. Its still more time regulated, less spontaneous to a degree.

Plus in my POV a director who does a made for/to/on order TV-series / mini-series is usually rather less free for expressing a vision than eg a huge budget used movie director, or?

Not the only reasons why I‘ll wait and see the finale first AND will try to find out a bit of a background till I give my rating.

There were even movies I only rated after eg 5y, as only then I finally found some details I felt early on something else might have played into the end-product

Ridley Scott is a good example, see eg the difference between Kingdom of Heaven theatrical version vs the still missing scenes of the director’s cut and the reasons for those 2 different versions that I’d rate with 3-4 steps out of 10 in between the versions.

I like him, but only watch in general movies the story is about something I am interested in, means I have not watched all of his movies (there is no multi titles director I have seen all of his/her work, same counts for actors,... too, even the most beloved ones)

I’ll give for now every project made/finalized during the pandemie a benefit of the doubt

• Like 2

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:
  Hide contents

Ok I liked it.

Also certain that Flag smashers will not be the villains by the end of it. They will get the skrulls treatment. John Walker seems certain villain + Power brokers.

Spoiler

It’s interesting, show is setting up a lot of antagonists:

Flag Smashers

Power Broker

Zemo

Walker

Can only assume that by the end some will have worked with the heroes, some will have worked with each other, and some will have fought against each other. Could be nice and compels, or kind of messy and unfocused. Fingers crossed.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WandaLegion said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Zemo, Flagsmasher are crying out loud, they won't be the villains.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:
  Hide contents

Zemo, Flagsmasher are crying out loud, they won't be the villains.

Spoiler

I agree that since those two are more obvious as villains from marketing/early eps, probably real villains by end will be Walker/Broker instead.

16 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:
  Hide contents

I agree that since those two are more obvious as villains from marketing/early eps, probably real villains by end will be Walker/Broker instead.

Spoiler

I think it will be just the Broker. I think Sam and Walker will come to some kind of understanding by the end. 

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can't decide if John Walker is actually a good guy or if it's all a front.

I’m leaning more towards him being a good guy but just unsuited to the role of Captain America. I’m fully expecting Sam to have the shield back by the end of episode 6.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:10 AM, terrestrial said:

director is eg a BAFTA winner, also a 7-times CAN Director‘s Guild winner and more. Probably more achievements than quiet a lot of others in the industry, or eg here.

Personally I‘ll wait till

1. the series is finalized and

2. I know more about any project‘s background details in general and even more so during a pandemic till I look for someone to ‚blame‘.

In especially in a made on order project in general, and agan in especial for a TV series / mini-series

Who cares about the Canadian director's guild awards lol? Alan Taylor won the actual DGA and has had a more profilic career but I'd say he did an awful job directing Thor The Dark World. She still seems to be a bad fit for this (not surprised her non-TV work is a bunch of stright to DVD movies) and it shows here.

Edited by lorddemaxus