sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:
ALADDIN                        A+

Wait it's not showing up on Cinemascore... did you take the original film's cinemascore and copy paste 😂

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I don't get how people can root for Disney. I mean remakes aside I like-love their movies, but I don't get how people can root for the company as it is slowly becoming a monopoly. And the effects they have effect the industry as a whole, I mean why else are getting all of these nostalgia based reboots/remakes like Men In Black International or ID:R.

I have a lot of hope for 2020 though as it seems like a solid ground for New films to kick off as there's a lack of big movies.

You're blaming those movies and studio decisions on Disney?   :rofl:

Are they also responsible for Pikachu, Jumanji, Top Gun 2, James Bond #25, MI #7 & 8, F&F 9 & 10 an it's spin offs, Robin Hood Remake 82, every horror remake, Terminator 6,  Dune Again,  Godzilla 403, Batman Redux Redux?

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

Also I know how this looks...but just remember I’m a big fan of the MCU and Disney films in general....I’m just worried at how the future of the movie industry is going to look. It seems like unless you’re a well known property, it’s hard to do much at the box office unless you’ve got everything going for you. I’m just frustrated that two really good comedies in May in The Long Shot and Booksmart are looking to be duds at the box office. And with Disney being the king of known properties...I don’t know. I just hope that movies like Long Shot and Booksmart don’t stop being sent to theaters. Or that other studios can start being smarter about their release dates *Cough WB releasing Shazam! Between CM and End Game Cough* 

To be fair, comedies are just in a rut right now. The three highest grossing comedies of last year were Crazy Rich Asians, Green Book, and Night School, and only the last one was actually a full-on comedy. The last non-sequel comedy to make over $100M was...Girls Trip, from almost two years ago. Definitely a turn of events from earlier this decade when R-rated comedies were all the rage.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Are they also responsible for Pikachu, Jumanji, Top Gun 2, James Bond #25, MI #7 & 8, F&F 9 & 10 an it's spin offs, Robin Hood Remake 82, every horror remake, Terminator 6,  Dune Again,  Godzilla 403, Batman Redux Redux?

Can we like not do this? I'm out of reactions and that's the only reason I didn't do a Not Cool.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, tawasal said:

@Porthos Your avatar is giving me headache, trying to figure out what it's supposed to be. 

same with @YourMother the Edgelord but his avatar is something i recognize, but i can't put my finger on exactly what. I feel like i seen this character before but not sure where.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Of course not all of them, that's crazy but all I am saying is that studios yend to follow the leader. Is it such a coincidence that once the MCU did big, every studio tried their own Cinematic Universe?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well it showed up as "Not Cool" originally on my end at least. :lol:  It's showing as "Thanks" now, FWIW.

(And, yes, leaving reactions on mobile is a PITA)

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. :)

I went back and changed it so I'm glad to see it worked :)  Maybe it's my fat fingers hitting the reactions the wrong way….now I'm paranoid to react while on my phone though. 

Don't wanna turn into the new Shivampa with the "Not Cool" reactions. 

• Like 1

Just now, ScoobyDoo21 said:

same with @YourMother the Edgelord but his avatar is something i recognize, but i can't put my finger on exactly what.

The gecko from Brandy and Mr. Whiskers.

I was talking about cartoons from my childhood the other day and remembered it and decided to use it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, comedies are just in a rut right now. The three highest grossing comedies of last year were Crazy Rich Asians, Green Book, and Night School, and only the last one was actually a full-on comedy. The last non-sequel comedy to make over $100M was...Girls Trip, from almost two years ago. Definitely a turn of events from earlier this decade when R-rated comedies were all the rage.

Green Book was a comedy? It had funny moments but I thought it was a drama. 

The industry is kinda just throwing properties out there to see what sticks. Even Disney's doing it since it's obvious stuff like Mary Poppins or Dumbo doesn't resonate on the same level as Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin or The Lion King.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

The industry is kinda just throwing properties out there to see what sticks. Even Disney's doing it since it's obvious stuff like Mary Poppins or Dumbo doesn't resonate on the same level as Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin or The Lion King.

Like it's always done? Never forget stuff like Mnemonic Man got big budget movies.

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

same with @YourMother the Edgelord but his avatar is something i recognize, but i can't put my finger on exactly what. I feel like i seen this character before but not sure where.

Not as mind bending as Porthos' avatar, I can't tell which side is the head and which side is the tail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Like it's always done? Never forget stuff like Mnemonic Man got big budget movies.

Well now more than ever since comedies don't deliver the results they used to and the adult drama has largely disappeared to the indie world.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

It's classified as a comedy/drama on BOM plus won the Comedy Golden Globe.

Golden Globes nominated The Martian as a Comedy. They are weird sometimes.