sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

In grand scheme of things. Every major studios is making 100s of millions of dollars in profit 

Disney probably in billions though 

cinema is healthy place right now. Watch what you want because you’re favourite studio is still making lots of money lol 

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Agreed. I am glad they are at least trying. Hell I hope Jungle Cruise and Artemis Fowl break the cycle.

I'm not saying to not root for Disney as they're helping keep theaters alive, and most of their films are pretty good. Zootopia, IO, Coco, The Last Jedi, IW/Endgame and Black Panther are some of the best blockbusters this decade. I'm somewhat excited for Aladdin and taking my little cousin to see it, and people should be feel to like what they like. I'm just saying at the end of the day, take a look at all sides.

Jungle Cruise actually is a Disney IP since it's based on one of their theme park attractions lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Far From Home does......which is an MCU Film lol

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Disney, outside of supers, won't be topping Capt Marvel's $425M...Aladdin isn't doing it...and it's still TBD if the Lion King or Frozen or Toy Story 4 will do so:)...specific family movie money is a little tough this year...

Those are still disney sub-brands. 

Outside of these: 

Toy Story 4
Spider-Man: Far from Home

The Lion King (2019)

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

1 minute ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

oo1j696g2a031.jpg This just popped up in r/boxoffice

Not too surprising given the initial reaction on social media/Rotten Tomatoes.

Should be good for the legs if this holds.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

You all need to relax...the money is getting spread around, at least domestically...here's the current top 10, all over $100M DOM...Disney will have only 4 of the top 11 after this weekend...so, while it seems like total dominance b/c their supers go so big, there has been room for everyone to get along...and the Disney supers in 2020 won't touch the top 2, I don't think...

Avengers: Endgame BV $781,331,736 4,662 $357,115,007 4,662 4/26 -
2 Captain Marvel BV $425,422,352 4,310 $153,433,423 4,310 3/8 -
3 Us Uni. $174,748,645 3,743 $71,117,625 3,741 3/22 -
4 How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Uni. $160,406,630 4,286 $55,022,245 4,259 2/22 -
5 Shazam! WB (NL) $138,235,556 4,306 $53,505,326 4,217 4/5 -
6 Dumbo (2019) BV $111,655,413 4,259 $45,990,748 4,259 3/29 -
7 Glass Uni. $111,035,005 3,844 $40,328,920 3,841 1/18 4/4
8 The Upside STX $108,252,517 3,568 $20,355,000 3,080 1/11 5/2
9 The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part WB $105,806,508 4,303 $34,115,335 4,303 2/8 5/9
10 Pokemon Detective Pikachu WB $102,822,622 4,248 $54,365,242 4,202 5/10

Not sure that money distribution makes your point.  ;)

Every movie except the Penguin documentary that Disney released so far this year is on that list.  Aladdin is just their 5th release this year.  If it weren't for the Fox releases there would also be the usual no releases in Sept & October.   Most studios release a movie every 2-3 weeks while Disney has consistently gone months w/o releasing a movie over the last several years.

But it's funny we're talking Disney domination this w/e when most thought Aladdin would be their annual $175m+ sacrifice to the B.O. gods.  Considering the tight scheduling around unlike The Lion King I don't think other studios were much concerned with it either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Disney, outside of supers, won't be topping Capt Marvel's $425M...Aladdin isn't doing it...and it's still TBD if the Lion King or Frozen or Toy Story 4 will do so:)...specific family movie money is a little tough this year...

PS - Okay, I think Star Wars will...but even then, don't make me say 100%:)...

TLK is locked. Will do $600M+ Dom.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Every movie except the Penguin documentary that Disney released so far this year is on that list.  Aladdin is just their 5th release this year.  If it weren't for the Fox releases there would also be the usual no releases in Sept & October.   Most studios release a movie every 2-3 weeks while Disney has consistently gone months w/o releasing a movie over the last several years.

Speaking of which I wonder if Fox grosses will ever be combined with and counted as part of Disney since they've been releasing everything starting with last month's Breakthrough or if they'll continue leaving them separate for now since these were all pre-made movies.

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

PS - Okay, I think Star Wars will...but even then, don't make me say 100%:)...

Frozen is doing 500+.

TS4 450+.

TLK 700.

SW: TRS 625-675

8 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I haven't actually seen GB, so I don't know. 

Green Book was pretty serious with some fun moments.

Wonder if Disney decided to distribute/release many more films than they usually do now a days. They already crushing the competition with their low releases compared to the other major studios. They have been of the top 6 major studies the studio with the lowest movies per year in this decade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

I rather kids grow up watching Disney than other studios 

the messages in movies are still meaningful especially Pixar movies 

illumination is too dumb down 

As long as it isn't Cars 2

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Speaking of which I wonder if Fox grosses will ever be combined with and counted as part of Disney since they've been releasing everything starting with last month's Breakthrough or if they'll continue leaving them separate for now since these were all pre-made movies.

I actually wonder if Fox is just gonna be a separate studio within Disney. And Disney controls it but movies just get released under the Fox studio name. 

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The industry is kinda just throwing properties out there to see what sticks. Even Disney's doing it since it's obvious stuff like Mary Poppins or Dumbo doesn't resonate on the same level as Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin or The Lion King.

It's more common now but every studios delves into their back catalogue to see what can be revived or remade for some time and considering that we got a successful Planet of the Apes trilogy, a very successful Jumanji sequel in the last decade on top of what Disney is doing, it's going to continue.