sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I just don’t see how lion king will do under beauty and the beast 

lion king is the most ironic animated movie of all time 

everybody has seen it and has nostalgia towards it 

Ironic indeed! 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

lion king is the most ironic animated movie of all time 

People, they like to underestimate stuff, i remember people saying EndGame will remain below Infinity War.

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

lion king is the most ironic animated movie of all time 

True that.... 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

😂😂

missing 1 letter can change whole sentence. Iconic to ironic 

Reminds me of when I was at the hospital and the Dr.'s name that was on the board was "Curt" written in cursive. I had to double check that.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Did RT officially get rid of the Top Critic score?  Neither Godzilla nor Ma have it.  Only Rocketman has it and reviews for it started coming in 2 plus weeks ago.

I think when they instituted that verified user review thing it probably broke the Top Critic rating as it stopped updating for Aladdin at that time.

FWIW, the Top Critic logo still appears next to various critics, but it just isn't being curated at the moment. 

50 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Toy Story 4 is tracking for 200 million weekend.

Only Deadline is throwing that number, and putting it behind a mealy-mouthed 'not out of the question'.

Other tracking sources have it lower, if all over the map.  Most seem to be in the $150m range at the moment.

Tracking might indeed converge on 200m, but lets not get ahead of ourselves right now.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Fun fact: If we assume Aladdin does somewhere around 300m, the same percentage increase for TLK that the animated one had over the animated Aladdin gives TLK around 425m. But sure, let's go with 800. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think when they instituted that verified user review thing it probably broke the Top Critic rating as it stopped updating for Aladdin at that time.

FWIW, the Top Critic logo still appears next to various critics, but it just isn't being curated at the moment. 

Only Deadline is throwing that number, and putting it behind a mealy-mouthed 'not out of the question'.

Other tracking sources have it lower, if all over the map.  Most seem to be in the $150m range at the moment.

Tracking might indeed converge on 200m, but lets not get ahead of ourselves right now.

I dont see TS4 hitting 200m at all. Now PS has really slowed down. I think its behind I2. Probably 130-150m  would be awesome. Let us not get too ahead and call it a disappointment. To me anything above 350m domestic and 900m WW is a win.

22 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

You are actually underestimating Domestic, strintg legs with big weekend should easily push it 800 million plus in Domestic alone. 

Also let's put Titanic talks at good for now and see who are thinking that it won't do 1.1 billion? I mean even after watching Aladdin, The Jungle Book, Beauty & The Beast..??

True ... Domestic Run Will Be Incredible for TLK .. Most Iconic Animated Film Of All Time ..  

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

A 52% drop from an inflated Memorial weekend is an excellent hold.

The 2 best 2nd weekends for MD openers ever are 

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull - 44.75M off of a 126.9M 4-day, 100.1M 3-day

POTC_AWE - 44.2M off of a 139.8M 4-day and 114.7M 3-day

No other MD release has ever had a 2nd weekend over 40M, so Aladdin projected 2nd weekend is very good. it's looking at potentially one of trhe smallest 2nd weekend drops ever for a MD opener. The only Top 10 MD opener with less than a 55% drop was TLW:JP (52.7%). Crystal skull had a 55% drop. The other 7 Top 10 releases all had >60% drops.

Should leg out to 275+

Poor start for Zilla. Getting over 100M DOM may be difficult. I think the marketing played heavily to the fanboys so you have those who wanted to see it who are really happy with it, but I don't think it connected with the GA at all. The trailers focused almost exclusively on the monsters and large scale destruction and there was barely any dialogue beyond one sentences. Nothing for the GA to hold onto. I think it is likely to drop 60%+ 2nd weekend. especially with the loss of IMAX and PLF screens which are reportedly driving its business. I expect it ends up selling less tickets over the weekend than Aladdin but has the higher gross due to higher ticket prices. 

Another bad hold for Endgame. it feels like it simply met its demand the 1st week, it has had 50%+ drops every weekend except MD weekend and hasn't played that great on weekdays after week 1. I think it is what it is, a movie that is likely to lose 50% every weekend until it exits theaters. Not going to make it to 850 and is going to have to work to get to 840.

And I'm not talking about TLK doing this just because it's nostalgic or it has hype.

I'm thinking about it's legs, it could generate crazy legs, just watch few minutes of ending, the last few minutes, when Simba defeats Scar and the scene that follows it with him climbing on Pride Rock with the BGM and the overall setting.

It's so good, so emotionally powerful and it's universal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

And I'm not talking about TLK doing this just because it's nostalgic or it has hype.

I'm thinking about it's legs, it could generate crazy legs, just watch few minutes of ending, the last few minutes, when Simba defeats Scar and the scene that follows it with him climbing on Pride Rock with the BGM and the overall setting.

It's so good, so emotionally powerful and it's universal.

Thanks for the spoilers 😆

I'm probably going to stop going to this forum and r/boxoffice until next Thursday. After The Lego Movie 2, Shazam, and now Godzilla KOTM's boxoffice performance (all three were my most anticipated studio films), thinking about the box office just makes me depressed so I'm probably going to take a rest from boxoffice talk for a while and try to watch KOTM before coming back. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 7
  • ...wtf 2

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't buy this it's all Godzilla '14's fault stuff.

Agreed. 

Except for the obligatory tie-in scene from the first 2 seconds, you would not know the movies are connected. And this movie was sold on Monster Fights.

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

So Endgame is looking at 835m range.

Considering Pikachu and Godzilla have destroyed my Summer Games, I would not be opposed to Endgame ending right on 844.25M DOM/ 2.8B WW. That would be very nice indeed. 

I am sure we will hear about extended Director Cut soon. Its not going to beat Avatar WW without that.

There is no Director’s Cut. The Russos are very economical with their footage. They have said the movie they wanted, is the movie they released.

I said somewhere else, but it bares repeating: I would not hate on an IW/AEG IMAX re-release on Labor Day. I am shocked they didn’t have that option on OW. 

Edited by captainwondyful

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm probably going to stop going to this forum and r/boxoffice until next Thursday. After The Lego Movie 2, Shazam, and now Godzilla KOTM's boxoffice performance (all three were my most anticipated studio films), thinking about the box office just makes me depressed so I'm probably going to take a rest from boxoffice talk for a while and try to watch KOTM before coming back. 

Definitely take a break and enjoy the movie 

if you enjoy the movies that’s 90% of the fun

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Shazam BOX OFFICE Performance Was fine ... Considering So Many Factors ..