sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

6 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's funny nowhere but people on here or on gamerforums like resetera say Pikachu underperformed. Every other place or outlet say it's performed solid and is successful. 

I wonder how you can look at the numbers and say it wasn’t an underperformance, truly. Only explanation would be WB having seriously low expectations, which we know not to be true.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Fun fact: If we assume Aladdin does somewhere around 300m, the same percentage increase for TLK that the animated one had over the animated Aladdin gives TLK around 425m. But sure, let's go with 800. 

Aladdin wasn’t adapted in to the highest grossing live production of all time, didn't spawn one of the highest selling soundtracks of all time and didn’t do $750 million at mid 90s prices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's funny nowhere but people on here or on gamerforums like resetera say Pikachu underperformed. Every other place or outlet say it's performed solid and is successful. 

It's done ok. Not great. Small profit but worse than Shazam.

12 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

It underperformed. Stop being in denial. Before Pokemon opened, many people were expecting a billion. And then many tried to drop their expectations to a more realistic $600M to $800M. And even those numbers have been out of reach for Pika. Won't even reach $500M. When the 1st trailer dropped, I remembered so distinctly that many many people were clowning and mocking TS4 for being overshadowed by Pikachu's trailer. And then for the many weeks that followed came the many many many many people who predicted a billion dollar.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

I wonder how you can look at the numbers and say it wasn’t an underperformance, truly. Only explanation would be WB having seriously low expectations, which we know not to be true.

WB had it pegged at a 40 million debut, what are you even talking about lol.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Aladdin wasn’t adapted in to the highest grossing live production of all time, didn't spawn one of the highest selling soundtracks of all time and didn’t do $750 million at mid 90s prices.

For the big 3, in initial runs DOM...

Beauty and the Beast $145M

Aladdin $217M

Lion King $312M

Obviously, B&TB animated was only 2/3rds of animated Aladdin in the 1990s...live action Aladdin will be, at best, 2/3rds of B&TB in the 2010's (and probably only a little bit more than 1/2)...

So, Math and past performance are not the saving graces for figuring out TLK live action gross...

Sell me that this will appeal to the African American community like Black Panther did...tell me this will appeal to the uber-nostalgics like Finding Dory did...tell me that between those two factors and the power of and trust in Disney, this will go sky high...but don't just say 1990's Lion King did X, so this is guaranteed to do X...it's not...it can, but quality of the movie, 1st impressions from the uber-fans, and the power and popularity of SM;FFH and Hobbs and Shaw will have just as much to do with the "favorable" factors it has going for it...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

Detective Pikachu did underperform and so will KOTM 

I don't think DP underperformed especially not like Godzilla. Let's look at what DP had going against it that Godzilla did not.

1. The monster of Endgame was still around.

2. Pikachu had it's best screens taken away by 3 pm to make room for evening Endgame showings.

3. Pikachu did not have the benefit of IMAX.

Every other big blockbuster in May(JW3, Aladdin, Godzilla) has had the benefits of everything DP did not have. IMAX + showings on the best screens all day long. Pikachu had a lot of stuff going against it from it's opening weekend.

Godzilla had nothing going against it and everything handed to it on a silver platter to succeed.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Hermia said:

I think they overestimated the "Godzilla is the star" narrative, maybe because people thought that characters in the previous films didn't matter. The monsters need a human story and at least sympathetic human characters to work for the general audience, only few are monsters' die hard fans out there the rest need to more to get entertained..

That’s a very Japanese approach to the Kaiju genre. The monsters are characters themselves, something a lot of people missed or didn’t get. The movie doesn’t appeal to Western sensibilities at all, it’s very much a true Godzilla film. Hence why Japanese critics really liked it (and they usually are apathetic towards American adaptations) and Western critics are very split.

9 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

WB had it pegged at a 40 million debut, what are you even talking about lol.

After weeks of tracking data, sure.

If you can point me to a source that said that's what WB expected before the pre-sale data came out or other sources of tracking, I'd be more impressed with this comment.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I don't think DP underperformed especially not like Godzilla. Let's look at what DP had going against it that Godzilla did not.

1. The monster of Endgame was still around.

2. Pikachu had it's best screens taken away by 3 pm to make room for evening Endgame showings.

3. Pikachu did not have the benefit of IMAX.

Every other big blockbuster in May(JW3, Aladdin, Godzilla) has had the benefits of everything DP did not have. IMAX + showings on the best screens all day long. Pikachu had a lot of stuff going against it from it's opening weekend.

Godzilla had nothing going against it and everything handed to it on a silver platter to succeed.

All these excuses doesn’t change the fact that the movie underperformed lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Pikachu barely broke even, if it broke it at all. This is not a success.

3 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

All these excuses doesn’t change the fact that the movie underperformed lol 

Only on this forum, nowhere else. Not BOA's on social media, not Forbes or Deadline. Not even TPC or WB say it, and they just put the TOHO GM on the Pokemon board of directors. So clearly they're serious about moving forward and don't believe in what some people in this forum say.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Next year looks pitiful for Disney. WB  has WW2 and Tenet just that summer. It;s gonna crush disney.

Yeah. Weak Disney slate next year. If the other studios still can't defeat Disney next year, then those studios are naturally weak. I think the #1 movie worldwide next year is F9, around $1.2B. Minions 2 will make $1B because it is critic-proof at this point. For DOM, I can see WW84 taking the crown.

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

Only on this forum, nowhere else. Not BOA's on social media, not Forbes or Deadline. Not even TPC or WB say it, and they just put the TOHO GM on the Pokemon board of directors.

There not gonna come out and say movie underperformed or flop to the public 

you need to take blinders. I quote posts of you saying movie is gonna do a billion or 600-700 million 

theatrically movie will be lose. 

You have 150 million dollar budget with P&A of 125-150 million 

275-300 million investment. Doing barley 400 million is underperforming 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

$672m in its first run to be exact. Aladdin did $472m and also spawned a hugely successful soundtrack and broadway show. Everyone knows TLK was bigger, but the point is I think people have forgotten that Aladdin has always been Disney's runner up in terms of animated monsters. There wasn't even a +50% admissions increase for TLK over Aladdin let alone +100 or +200%, and there sure won't be for live action TLK over live action Aladdin either. 

7 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

There not gonna come out and say movie underperformed or flop to the public 

you need to take blinders. I quote posts of you saying movie is gonna do a billion or 600-700 million 

theatrically movie will be lose. 

You have 150 million dollar budget with P&A of 125-150 million 

275-300 million investment. Doing barley 400 million is underperforming 

You honestly have no idea what you're talking about so I'm not gonna even entertain it.