sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

20 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Sub 45 million for Godzilla this weekend. Final 105/110 million domestic

Dark Phoenix is a dead man walking, but it's the last X-Men movie anyway. So, it doesn't mater if it flops or not, everything will get rebooted by Marvel ( hopefully Fassbender is Dr Doom in MCU )

If KOTM is only doing 40-45, DP could go as low as 30 (or lower?). If it ends up being awful too, this could be Fant4stic all over again. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

49 won't be easy for KOTM at all.

Will need a very strong Sunday and match GZ14's Sat drop from full Friday.

16.6 (+25%) // -15% from full Friday, a bit better than GZ14's 16%

12.9 (-22.5%) // GZ14 dropped 30%

= 49.1

I think ~47 is likelier.

• Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

If KOTM is only doing 45-50, DP could go as low as 30. If it ends up being awful too, this could be Fant4stic all over again. 

maybe DP has more dedicated fanbase that comes for it in full force? :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

The Little Electric Guy's legs aren't too bad considering the wall to wall competition. It is just too bad it didn't perform all that great on opening weekend.

Yeah, Pika should be able to leg it out to $150Mish (if you look at its weekdays this week, it dropped less than 40% every day - it's definitely hitting the start of the "summer kid" effect).  Not as high as I hoped, but still a good little run for it being a fanbase movie (150/54.365 = 2.76x)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, Pika should be able to leg it out to $150M+ (if you look at its weekdays this week, it dropped less than 40% every day - it's definitely hitting the start of the "summer kid" effect).  Not as high as I hoped, but still a good little run for it being a fanbase movie (150/54.365 = 2.76x)...

It’s what I’m hoping for Godzilla at this point... good weekday holds etc in the summer.

8 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Both Godzilla and Rocketman are coming in below expectations. So much was spent on advertising both as well. 

Paramount continuing to show their incompetence by releasing Rocketman here. They clearly had a huge winner on their hands based on reception, and after BoHo's awards/box office success you'd think they'd take the clear hint to move it to awards season. November has no big live action releases either. But nope, let's release it in the heat of summer blockbuster season where it's sure to get forgotten for awards too. 

With all of that said, I think they also doomed its box office potential a bit by allowing the R. I'm honestly shocked they did, but props to them for that at least for caring about artistic vision more. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Maybe KOTM pulls off a Kong, i mean increase on Saturday with not much big drop on Sunday.

Would love that but fandango presales for today apparently don’t show that. Shall see though. I mean... my theater seems to be doing pretty decent today with showings...

Even though I really enjoyed KOTM it flopping is a good lesson for the studios in that if you make a horrifically bad first installment many people won’t be willing to give their money to you again. A “fool me once”/once bitten type thing 

Edited by John Marston

I ,mean kuddos for Rocketman to pursue art rather than sacrifice and sugarcoat its subject's life story in pursuit of the widest audience possible (Looks at Bohemian Rhapsody) hopefully its legs will reward it.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

Even though I really enjoyed KOTM it flopping is a good lesson for the studios in that if you make a horrifically bad first installment many people won’t be willing to give their money to you again. A “fool me once” type thing 

If Godzilla '14 had been KOTM as a film, it probably would have grossed well over 250 with that OW. WB figured it out too late. 

7 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Yes, conditions were different. IW didn't lose a large number of theaters until 7th weekend. Endgame lost about 700 this weekend, so a week early.

Also, there's the fact that admissions have already been so much higher for Endgame. It has made 170M more than IW through 35 days. We're simply running out of people to see the movie, be it for the first time or repeat viewings.

Also, endgame didn't have the late legs like TFA due to EG skewed far younger than TFA. TFA was far more a elderly crowd friendly than EG, the demo that tends not to rush to the cinema for movie, hence stabilize the drop

TFA still able to drop only 11.7% when it faced DP in its 9th week after it crossed 900m, suggest that the audience scope extend beyond standard moviegoers,,    

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #
1 N Deadpool Fox $132,434,639 - 3,558 - $37,222 $132,434,639 $58 1

7 3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $6,159,276 -11.7% 1,810 -452 $3,403 $914,804,240 $245 9
  • Like 2