Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

Here are the most impressive runs for the newbies. 

1. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 1982 - $359,197,037

2. Star Wars 1977 - $307,263,857

3. Titanic 1997 - $600,788,188

4. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2002 - $241,438,208

5. Jurassic Park 1993 - $357,067,947

6. Forrest Gump 1994 - $329,694,499

7. Return of the Jedi 1983 - $252,583,617

8. The Empire Strikes Back 1980 - $209,398,025

• Like 3

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Big drop next year for certain. But, this year could still catch last year depending on Spidey, Lion King, Hollywood, Hobbs & Shaw, Scary Stories, It, Joker, Maleficent, Doctor Sleep, Frozen, Jumanji and Star Wars. Honestly, it'll likely end up surpassing 2018's DOM total.

Pretty sure in anycase, worldwide total box office 2019 will reach a new height, like every single year before this.

8 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

So JP actually broke OW record when it came out? That's something I didn't know. Even more impressive for first film of a franchise then!

Yes. It broke Batman Returns record.

Star Wars

Force Awakens

Some that would've broke it had they released on a Friday... Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith, Spider-Man 2 and, maybe, Revenge of the Fallen.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think Universal will be pleased with how Yesterday is doing, I imagine they expect most of the money to come from OS much like Johnny English and Bridget Jones.

It's a shame that the romcom hasn't really made a comeback, CRA was a hit but that was a cultural phenomenon. I'll be curious to see how Last Christmas does. 

It's gonna be Danny Boyle's highest grossing since Slumdog Millionaire by the middle of the week and will make more in total than his output since that movie combined so that's already a good start.

1 minute ago, JimiQ said:

I still don’t understand how Wolf warrior 2 or Wandering earth are proof of increase in global bo. Take out chinese films and MCU and global bo is stagnant

Well, Global BO especially some countries in Asia have had a major boost over a decade and not much point in denying that. India in 2009 was capable of 2000M LC top and In the last decade, it has increased multiple times.

Problem is, He isn't wrong when he says Global Market increased by 40% and when you try to argue over it, you automatically lose.

You keep arguing on wrong points. 

Yes, The Asian markets have expanded tremendously. But, Asian markets have only embraced Super Hero movies and most of the other movies don't even gross 1/4th of CBM's in almost every Asian market except South Korea and Japan.

So, Whatever Most MCU movies gross in the Asian market, it is for CBM's and equally true for few good DC movies if they are done right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Without MCU the global bo would be 12% less

Well, no.

If MCU did not exist, all the resources being put into it including production and marketing costs in the hundreds of millions, would be dedicated to other event films that don't exist now but would if MCU did not exist. Attention and efforts would be placed onto other projects.

You can't just assume that if the MCU was not around that all else would remain equal. Quite the opposite actually. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My brain hurts just from skimming a couple posts here.

Also why are we pretending like one side is innocent when both are just as worst. And you know what sucks the most? And I bet I'm not alone here, what really sucks is being someone who loves James Cameron movies AND the MCU, because some of you make me ashamed of being a fan of either. What the actual hell people?

If someone is an annoying prick just ignore them and they'll go away, eventually. Proliferating this nonsensical battle is not just silly, it's also extremely detrimental to actual box office discussions because us normal folk can't bring up Voldermort's name in relation to Sauron because that then brings a whole slew of crap that eventually gets the thread blocked. You're free to pick who's Sauron and who's Voldermort, it really doesn't matter, which is the point I'm trying to make here. They're both the villains of the most important fantasy series of the 2000's.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

You can't just assume that if the MCU was not around that all else would remain equal. Quite the opposite actually. 

Will I watch any film because it is releasing on May 1st weekend, but isn't MCU film, NO.

What I mean, that MCU film on 1st weekend of May doing a billion dollar, doesn't mean any other film releasing there will fill that space.

Just see how boxoffice bleed next year as Disney releases ain't that big next year.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Interestingly enough my big fat greek wedding 2 bombed. 

It was bound to bomb, no way it was repeating or doing anything close to the original. That was the most once in a lifetime run i have ever seen. 

2 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

My brain hurts just from skimming a couple posts here.

Also why are we pretending like one side is innocent when both are just as worst. And you know what sucks the most? And I bet I'm not alone here, what really sucks is being someone who loves James Cameron movies AND the MCU, because some of you make me ashamed of being a fan of either. What the actual hell people?

If someone is an annoying prick just ignore them and they'll go away, eventually. Proliferating this nonsensical battle is not just silly, it's also extremely detrimental to actual box office discussions because us normal folk can't bring up Voldermort's name in relation to Sauron because that then brings a whole slew of crap that eventually gets the thread blocked. You're free to pick who's Sauron and who's Voldermort, it really doesn't matter, which is the point I'm trying to make here. They're both the villains of the most important fantasy series of the 2000's.

Exactly how I feel. 

36 minutes ago, Moses said:

There is no doubt that jurrasic park was impressive

If JW acheived 1.6 billion 4 yrs ago for sure JP would pass 2 billions

But i don't think it is more impressive than EG

JP was way bigger a movie than Endgame. If the marketplace worldwide had multiplexes and showtimes to the same degree they have now then Christ!!

Imagine how much it would have made in China!  You have to remember just how special it was. It wasn’t just the latest FX thing to see. Nobody had ever seen anything like it.  

different times for sure, but if you were around in 1993 you’d remember just how massive that film was. It was a phenomenon. Everything about it, for the entire summer. 

Adjusted takes it way over $2 billion but if you consider the countries it didn’t play in, the markets that weren’t even there in 1993, and the sheer number of multiplexes and screens there are now, its staggering it made what it did even back then. 

People saw Endgame three or four times in its opening weekend in April. 

I saw Jurassic Park on the 5th day of release in the U.K.  Couldn’t get a ticket to see it any earlier as it was mayhem. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Will I watch any film because it is releasing on May 1st weekend, but isn't MCU film, NO.

What I mean, that MCU film on 1st weekend of May doing a billion dollar, doesn't mean any other film releasing there will fill that space.

Just see how boxoffice bleed next year as Disney releases ain't that big next year.

You are arguing that you wouldn't go see a film that doesn't even exist. 

How could you possibly know what would have been put there in the place of the MCU movie, and that you undoubtedly would have no interest in seeing it? 

Make no mistake, if the MCU film did not take that slot, some event film would have. 

To assume that you are not interested in said event film, when you haven't a clue what it would be..... that seems a little silly.

Let's use a little common sense here. 
No one could know what would have been if the MCU did not exist, whether or not audiences would be interested in the alternative movies that were released instead of the MCU, and we certainly could not come up with any argument as to what impact it would have had on global sales. You'd have better luck throwing darts at random numbers on a dart board. 

• Like 1

Endgame should be number 1 movie all time 

I just don’t think of avatar being a cultural phenomenon 

none of my irl friends talk about movie. Only time I see word avatar mention is on here 

I hear avatar the last air bender talked about more in real world lol

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

The industry is still feeling JP's influence btw,

giphy.gif

ElatedPastHomalocephale-max-1mb.gif

liquid-terminator-gif.gif

You were saying ? 

Jurassic something influence something ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Here are the most impressive runs for the newbies. 

1. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 1982 - $359,197,037

2. Star Wars 1977 - $307,263,857 

3. Titanic 1997 - $600,788,188

4. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2002 - $241,438,208

5. Jurassic Park 1993 - $357,067,947

6. Forrest Gump 1994 - $329,694,499

7. Return of the Jedi 1983 - $252,583,617

8. The Empire Strikes Back 1980 - $209,398,025

agree!

but i would put Titanic and SW runs over E.T.

EDIT : my big fat greek! lol.

Edited by Permanent Magnet