Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Ted2:50 PM Mondayabout 15 peopletrailersBourne Legacy - SilenceThe Campaign- laughsSavages - SilenceTed was funny but one time is more then enough for me.6.5/10Magic Mikeabout 30 peopleSunday 9:55 PMTrailersBourne Legacy- SlienceTotal Recall - SlienceThe Dark Knight Rises chatterThe Campaign laughtsgood and enjoyable6/10

Wow you're a tough grader, I wouldn't want you marking my exams and essays :P

The Dark Knight Rises in Good Ol' 35mm Film.

National Film Board Screening Room #2

2:00 pm, 16 July

~35 people

Free

Trailers:

[*]Nothing, hope that they might've shown the Man of Steel trailer to us, but nothing.

Film:

The film is a fitting, and certainly gripping conclusion to The Dark Knight. While, there are a few very small points that I didn't like, there was nothing in there as a whole which detracted from the experience, of seeing a brilliant director's final take on such an iconic figure in all our childhoods. While Chris Nolan took the film in a direction that I wouldn't have, and took it in a different direction than I envisioned, after some mulling it over, I find that Nolan took it in a better direction than I would've for the most part.

I will have a full review up later in spoiler tags, and then put the spoiler parts of the review up in another spoiler tag.

Crowd reaction was definitely something that I wouldn't take too seriously as my screening was mostly industry insiders, professionals, and journalists, which a few invited members of the public. However, I felt that the reaction was phenomenal, as the mood was tense, and enraptured the entire time through the movie, and after the movie there was a moment of silence before people kinda realised that it was over, and it got a round of applause.

A+

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 3

20 ScreensNEWThe Dark Knight Rises (5 screens, 24 showings)The Dark Knight Rises: The LieMAX Experience (1 screen, 4 showings)HOLDOVERSIce Age: Continental Drift (2 screens, 13 showings)Savages (1 screen, 5 showings)The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (2 screens, 10 showings)The Amazing Spider-Man (2 screens, 10 showings)Magic Mike (1 screen, 7 showings)Ted (1 screen, 6 showings)SHARED SCREENSBrave/The Dark Knight Rises (1 showing/4 showings)Ice Age: Continental Drift 3D/The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (6 showings/1 showing)Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection (3 showings/3 showing)Moonrise Kingdom/Savages (6 showings/1 showing)Brave/Prometheus (5 showings/2 showings)LEAVINGSafety Not Guaranteed (1 week)To Rome With Love (2 weeks)Katy Perry: Part Of Me (2 weeks,1 day)Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (4 weeks)Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (6 weeks)Marvel's The Avengers (11 weeks)

quite silly around here in Toronto.It appears theaters learned nothing from TA opening weekend and still going with 4 screens.I do not see why they not go to 5-6 like they did anyways.It will likley be a much bigger problem as TDKR Friday will be much busier then TA.

The Dark Knight Rises

Press Screening

SM Mall of Asia IMAX, Philippines

July 18, 2012 / 8 PM

95% full (~500 seats)

No trailers were shown

The movie:

Crowd was enthusiastic when the movie was about to begin hearing "woohoos" and cheers. When the movie started, the crowd immediately shut up and was well behaved during the almost 3-hour run time. Everyone was quiet and was focused on the movie, didn't hear idle chatter or cellphones ringing, heck there were only a few people who went to the comfort room! Loud applause when the movie ended and lots of good exit chatter.

Great response when JGL's true identity was revealed and Anne's take on Catwoman was well received as well

I loved the movie and would definitely consider it a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. It's great watch in IMAX and has an amazing score.as well! Best watched spoiler-free which thankfully I was, so I enjoyed the revelation of some key plot points in the end ;)

A

Edited by forg
  • Like 2

The Dark Knight RisesSydney IMAX Darling Harbour6:20pm 19th July. Centre seat about two thirds of the way back. Perfect spot. No trailers just on with show once everyone was in the sold out theatre. Audience included I guy dressed as Batman and someone else dressed as The Joker. Fantastic film and a fine finale to Nolan's Batman trilogy. The audience clearly loved it as there was widespread applause at the end which is pretty rare here. I'll definitely see it again on the weekend although probably just a regular cinema this time. I highly recommend that you watch it at least once in IMAX if you can.

• Like 1

The Dark Knight Marathon (Batman Begins: 7pm/ TDK: technical difficulties, no start/TDKR: 9:40ish)Sold out. Though relatively smaller theater, around 270 seats (it's a rurual area, population less than 20K and the theater is only 5 screens). The bigger ones were being used for the other midnight shows though.No trailers or anything. Audience loved it. Lots of clapping at the end.

• Like 2

The Dark Knight Rises

9:00 PM Friday July 20

Sold out in a 353 seater

Trailers:

The Campaign

Man of Steel

Movie:

Decent entertainer bogged down by a horrible script and pacing. It has several good moments. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Anne Hathaway have turned in good performances.

B

The Dark Knight Rises

UltraAVX

Scotiabank Vancouver Theatre

20 July 2012, 12:30 PM

80% full (~450 Seats)

Trailers:

Total Recall

Expendables 2

Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 2

Oz

Bourne Legacy

Jack Reacher

Argo

The Campaign

Man of Steel

The movie:

You guys already know my thoughts, and uh the audience clapped, and gasped at the right moments. Got claps at the end. Still amazing.

• Like 1

The Dark Knight Rises3:05PMAbout 80% full (later showings were sold out)I lucked out-NO TRAILERS! Really the projector went out (thought I was going to have a repeat of The Avengers), same guy that came during the Avengers comes to our screen and goes "Don't worry it be back in 2 minutes" (about 5 to 10 minutes after it should of started)WB logo shows up and claps (so instead of 30 minutes of trailers it jumps to the movie yay!)Movie: Okay where to start. Amazing film. Hardy should be nominated, along with ANOTHER Tom made a great villian this year. Anne Hathaway should be best actress. And ME-OW she is hot ;) Love the music even if it sounded just like Pirates at times (nothing wrong with that). Script was well written. Can't decide if this is better then Avengers or not. Actually it was but Avengers was more fun. So yeah. And I kept on going "Tom Hardy sounds like Patrick Stewart. Oh wait he did play the EVIL Picard" I wont give away anything. Just see it.A+

• Like 2

Posted Image

The Dark Knight Rises in Tempur-Pedic IMAX 15/70 (SPOILER FREE)

8:45pm Friday, July 20th

Tempur Pedic IMAX Theater at Jordan's Furniture Reading (*as I've said time and again the greatest place to experience a film)

Theater Capacity: 500 (100% full; the theater sold out every single showtime through the next 3 days)

Ticket Price: $12.75

Concessions: N/A

TRAILERS: N/A

FOREWORD:

Before formally reporting on the experience I had tonight watching The Dark Knight Rises, I feel compelled to share my thoughts and feelings about the catastrophe that has affected movie-goers during TDKR's midnight premiere in Aurora, Colorado. Like many people, I'm a big fan of going to the movies. Whether a time to celebrate, reflect, learn, laugh, think, or fall in love, movies have offered an escape, simultaneously creating a sanctuary for people of every race, sex, age, or nationality, likely all under the same roof. In a statement released tonight by Christopher Nolan, I believe he eloquently captures exactly how I feel:

I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime. The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

-Christopher Nolan - July 20, 2012

Simply put, I've always believed the cinema was a magical place insulated from all the harsh realities of the world, but yesterday that belief was shattered and a little piece of me died inside. My fingers, soaked from the tears I've wiped away, can neither type nor convey the immense sadness I feel over the tragedy that's stricken our world community. I remain hopeful that people will demonstrate resilience to this horrible event, even if right now I privately shudder at the realization that this could've happened to anyone.

THE FILM:

To say I've been anticipating The Dark Knight Rises for a while is an understatement. Anyone who has checked my facebook statuses periodically since--well--pretty much Inception knows that I've been counting down the months, days, and minutes for this film's release. After delivering one of the greatest sequels of all time with The Dark Knight, there was no question that with Christopher Nolan at the helm The Dark Knight Rises was going to be an excellent movie. How excellent that film is, however, remained the question.

Performance-wise, everyone delivers their A-game. Christian Bale, hot off his long-overdue Oscar win for The Fighter, gives his best performance of the Dark Knight trilogy. Michael Caine, who's never given enough screen time in these films by my estimation, really ties Bruce Wayne's story together arcing across all the films, and arguably gives the most emotionally resonant performance in the film. Although Heath Ledger's "Joker" is an impossible act to follow, I think Tom Hardy's "Bane" and the story surrounding him reveals the epic scope that trailers promised us when promoting this film. Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Marion Cotrillard, and Matthew Modine are great supporting cast members (among others), but the real shining stars (even if only supporting ones) are Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

I've described past IMAX features as "beautiful" when describing how they appear on a proper IMAX screen; however, it's hard to assign that adjective to a film that features so much darkness, grit, and terror. I will say that The Dark Knight Rises is one of the most vivid, immersive experiences I've ever had at a movie theater. There is an aerial flyover shot captured by an IMAX camera that I bobbed up and down in excitement over for how epic it was (*NOTE: I am a HUGE nerd for skyscrapers and skylines... Nolan just gets me).

There are only two points of negativity I can think of right now regarding the film. First, the score. While there was some chanting and original music used in this, I believe that overall Hans Zimmer recycled music from the previous Batman films he worked on. This doesn't mean the music is bad--I <3 the other soundtracks--but you expect more from a capable, celebrated film composer like Zimmer. The second point of negativity is a personally uncomfortable one: the terror The Dark Knight Rises presents. During a special features video I watched on The Dark Knight, filmmakers who worked behind the scenes on the stories for all these films explained the psychology of their films and their intention of tapping into the very real fears of movie goers. Had I neither become cognizant of this intention nor had I waited until after the midnight screening opportunities to watch The Dark Knight Rises, I believe I would've had a much more enjoyable first impression of this movie. As it was with this very palpable sense of terror looming over the film like a storm cloud, witnessing some of the action scenes in this movie actually diminished the crowd experience for me... an unprecedented event in my years of going to the movies.

So aside from the couple things I've nitpicked, The Dark Knight Rises was mostly the movie I'd hoped it would be. The brothers Nolan crafted a very clever script... incidentally, their funniest since Memento. The overall crowd reception seemed very warm with others and myself clapping multiple times throughout (yeah... I'm that guy, sorry). Seriously, there's no experience at the movies like that of a Christopher Nolan-directed picture with this slam dunk cast, visual perfection (kudos Wally), smart writing, and twists or turns aplenty. If you've watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, you owe it to yourself to finish the story and watch The Dark Knight Rises.

Experience - 21/30

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 15/15

Direction - 10/10

Music - 5/10

Bonuses - Award Caliber, +5 (sweep the tech categories, long overdue recognition for Nolan, and wouldn't be surprised by noms for Caine or Hathaway... or possibly Bale); Special Effects Caliber, +2

THE VERDICT: 93/100, A

Edited by Andy Stitzer
  • Like 2

The Dark Knight Rises

Edwards Rancho San Diego Stadium 15

7:30 PM, Friday July 20th

400 seats, 90% full

$11.25

Trailers:

[*]The Watch - Lots of laughs

[*]Oz: The Great and Powerful - Gorgeous on the big screen, some chatter

[*]Total Recall - Some chatter

[*]The Campaign - Looks awful, a few laughs

[*]Jack Reacher - Silence

[*]The Bourne Legacy - Some chatter

[*]Man of Steel - Teaser had such a epic vibe, can't wait. Silence from crowd

Film:

Where to begin! Okay first off, I got to the theater at 7 PM fully expecting that the 7:30 PM showing would be near sold out and that I would have to go to the 8 o'clock showing. Well that wasn't the case... There wasn't even a line for the 7:30 showing and we waltz right in surprised as hell. It was about half full when we got in, but it filled up pretty quick. There were way more families then I thought there would be considering what happened last night.

Okay so the movie was excellent. The opening scene is fantastic and the introduction of Bane is flawless. The story gets going pretty quick, but I did notice during the middle of the movie, it kind of dragged. For a Batman film, one expects to see more of him on the screen.

The last 45 minutes are very good and the movie speeds up considerably. Nolan was not lying when he said this is a war movie. Spectacular action sequences, excellent script, and the acting is Oscar worthy. I am so glad I went into this movie, spoiler-free. The twists were awesome and completely shocking. I was not expecting half the things that happened.

I want to make this as spoiler-free as possible but it is really hard to talk about the ending without spoiling it. Just know that it is absolutely spectacular and all the loose-ends are tied very well.

The actors really brought their A game with this one. As usual, Bale and the returning crew are excellent. The new comers, particularly Joseph Gordon Levitt and Anne Hathaway, hit a home run with this one. If they were nervous because of all the talent surrounding them, they sure as hell didn't show it.

And of course I cannot forget about Tom Hardy. As the new villain in Gotham City, he had some pretty big shoes to fill after the Oscar winning performance by Heath Ledger. I think he did a great job. He was very menacing and indeed probably the second best villain to face off against Batman.

Overall, the movie is as great as I expected it to be. The ending turned out much better than I ever hoped. With that said, I rank this as the second best Batman film behind only The Dark Knight. My ranking might change when I see the film again.

95/100, A

Edited by CEDAR
  • Like 1

I'll do a double crowd report for TDKRDigital IMAX Marathon, Thurs 7/19 6pmBatman Begins- Huge applause when WB came up. It had a great reaction from the crowd throughout, especially the humor brought by Caine, Freeman, etc. Applause at the end. It was really great seeing this on the big screen again. I saw it opening day back in 2005.TDK- Even bigger applause when it started. Fantastic reaction throughout, just about the same reaction to Joker lines/magic trick as the midnight premiere four years ago. This really plays well on the big screen, and as others have said, the script really does jump off the screen. It was surreal watching the iconic performance from Ledger. TDKRTrailers: The Watch (I have no clue why they decided to play all these before an IMAX showing)- Decent response from the crowd, lots of laughs.Skyfall exclusive IMAX trailer- Huge applause, great chatter throughout. Looks really good.The Bourne Legacy- Surprisingly good reaction. Lots of "that actually looks really good".Man of Steel teaser- I was expecting the comic con footage, but this was good as well. Some applause when it ended.Film:Oooooh man, this was great. I went in with an open mind, not trying to compare to TDK, and I believe that's what really makes it good. As I've said in other threads (and will expand upon in my full review), I believe Nolan succeeded in transcending the genre and creating three totally different films. This packs the most punch as a whole, IMO, and really sets up Nolan's future career. If you wanted more action, you definitely got it with this one. Every action scene (especially the fights) were perfectly choreographed. Pfister turns in some of his best work (as always). There's one specific shot that I just loved which was reminiscent of some classic movies.

It's during Talia's reveal when they show her standing with the hood over her head after escaping the hole.

. Such a phenomenal job by him. Standouts were definitely Hathaway and JGL, though Caine turns in the most emotional and awards-worthy performance. Great response from the crowd. Huge applause at the end. A15/70 IMAXFriday 7/20 5:30pmNo trailersThis was actually a more vocal crowd throughout. Lots of laughs and responses for certain scenes. It is definitely worth a viewing in true IMAX. All the action scenes were incredible!! The ending hit home just as well as it did the first time, if not more. Man, Nolan really did pull it off.A

• Like 2

The Dark Knight RisesRegal Arnot Mall 1012:01am Thursday Night/Friday Morning$10.00 100%full Sold OutTrailers:The Campaign - different trailer, looks really funny, lots of laughsGangster Squad - look really good (this was before the Colorado indecent)Superman - I thought it was a good teaser, but it got a terrible reaction. Lots of "That's It?"Total Recall - no reactionBourne Identity - no reactionThe Watch - some laughs,Review: (don't feel like writing an whole review so I will just give some quick thoughts)The movie is great all around, great action, great acting, pretty good score, and great direction. This film isn't as great as The Dark Knight but the film is great in its own right. ANow I went to the movie with a bunch of buddies and we all loved it. We were all hugging each other after the movie in celebration that the movie didn't suck and was able to make a great ending to a great series.

Edited by MovieGuyKyle17
  • Like 1

The Dark Knight Rises

Universal Citywalk 15/70 IMAX

1:25pm Saturday / 95% full

We got seated about 10 minutes before the movie started and the theater was only half-full (despite being sold out online). I thought that the shooting might've massively affected audience turnout. But the theater rapidly filled up -- they must've all been buying popcorn or in the restroom. There were only a few free seats by the time the show started.

Trailers: None

The film:

HOLY SHIT

A

• Like 1