The Panda

Battle for the Throne: What will be the #1 Film of 2020?

What will won the year...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Domestically?

• Mulan
    • Wonder Woman 1984
    • Fast and Furious 9
    • James Bond 25
    • Soul
    • The Eternals
    • Black Widow
    • Minions 2
    • Tenet
    • Dragon Empire
    • Dune
    • Venom 2
    • Onward
    • Birds of Prey
    • Godzilla vs Kong
    • In the Heights
    • West Side Story
    • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Vivo
    • Something Else
  2. 2. WW?

• Mulan
    • Wonder Woman 1984
    • Fast and Furious 9
    • James Bond 25
    • Soul
    • The Eternals
    • Black Widow
    • Minions 2
    • Tenet
    • Dragon Empire
    • Dune
    • Venom 2
    • Onward
    • Birds of Prey
    • Godzilla vs Kong
    • In the Heights
    • West Side Story
    • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Vivo
    • Something Else

Mulan is my pick for DOM and WW next year. Those trailer views suggest to me that potentially it could steal WW 84's thunder in the way BP did with AIW last year domestically.

Edited by baerrtt
  • Like 1

DOM - WW84, as it seems to be the only thing with a chance for $400M

WW - Mulan, seems the most locked for $1B WW, I don't like how it and Onward are so close though.

As for the others, The Eternals and Mulan seem to be next in line for biggest dom with chances at $400M. Soul also has a really good chance, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it won. Onward could breakout due to cast but I think this and Mulan will eat into each other. Black Widow could be big but being a prequel and much of the allure of first female CBM for MCU is gone as well as feeling 5 years too late, basically like Solo but profitable. Minions 2 will die like Pets 2 did and Fast 9 will drop.

I don't think that both Marvel offering will get to close to either title.Hell as far as DOM goes,I can even see BoP maybe finishing above them.

So for DOM i will go with WW84.Personally iv hink this will see a THG/CF-like bump and make it to 450M with 500M being a possibility(but it has to be really really good ).Mulan is the other contender here but I see an Aladding like run.I just can't see it getting to Beauty and the Beast levels and it will need to get there to pass WW84.

WW for me it's obviously FF9 (sadly) with Mulan being second because China (which will help both to get over WW84).WW84 will see an increase internationally but I'm not sure it will get over 1B.Plus, I think the plethora of female led film coming before WW84 may hurt it.

Perhaps I'm insane. But my gut is still telling me that Dune is going to be the biggest film. I'm watching Ben-Hur in my class this week; I've only seen the first hour, and my belief in the power of a masterpiece seems affirmed to me. People will want to see it. I'm sure of it.

But, while Disney's had the #1 domestic film since 2015, leading me to root for the other studios, I still wouldn't mind if Mulan won the year based on how "Wuxia" the film seems to be. The film screams "potentially Ben-Hur epic masterpiece" to me in the same way Dune does.

• Like 1

Going from 7 $400m grossers to just 1 in a year sounds unlikely. 

The last "weak" year was 2014, which went from 3 $400m grossers to 0. But it went from 4 $300m grossers to 3 and stayed flat on $200m grossers (13 each year)

We know that Disney and especially the MCU has a huge shot to breakout in a big way (I'd also add Mulan here, you never know). So while WW84 is the clear frontrunner DOM, I wouldn't be surprised by some of the other 3 winning.

Mulan is the frontrunner WW unless it gets banned in China. 

Call me crazy, but I think WW84 has a shot at biggest worldwide of 2020 as well. I'm aware of the narrative that DC doesn't do as well overseas but look how Aquaman did. That might fuel interest and faith in the Wonder Woman sequel overseas, leading lots more people to show up for it than the first one.

That's my prediction: Wonder Woman 1984 for both domestic and worldwide champion.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Putting my Money for The God , The King and The only True Master of Franchise 

comic con disney GIF

To Win both Dom and WW next year.

Dom : Black Widow

WW : Eternals

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I may have overestimated Mulan (thanks a lot Liu Yifei!) and underestimated Black Widow

BW and Bond 25 seem like they're gonna rule next year, the peak of spy films coming after the peak of superhero films (2018-2019) perhaps?

Minions 2 will also be a spy film, kiddie version (literally with kid Gru)

Edited by Royce
  • Like 4

Just now, Alli said:

so what is Mulan projected to do in China? I doubt it makes more than 200M domestic.  WW1984 will make 1B WW, something i can't see Mulan achieving

Still very early, but the hype it has generated in China so far is on par with Infinity War and Endgame. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

Onward

Id place this higher, except it has strong internal competition coming from Soul (which seems like the film Pixar has more confidence in given it’s getting the prime spot).  But a Zootopia like breakout for this could land it close to the top.

Wait how is that competition?

2 hours ago, expensiveho said:

Going from 7 $400m grossers to just 1 in a year sounds unlikely. 

The last "weak" year was 2014, which went from 3 $400m grossers to 0. But it went from 4 $300m grossers to 3 and stayed flat on $200m grossers (13 each year)

We know that Disney and especially the MCU has a huge shot to breakout in a big way (I'd also add Mulan here, you never know). So while WW84 is the clear frontrunner DOM, I wouldn't be surprised by some of the other 3 winning.

Mulan is the frontrunner WW unless it gets banned in China. 

After multiple $600M+ grossers the past two years, we're due for a "cool off" year. Might as well be this one before 2021 gives us at least two surefire juggernauts (The Little Mermaid and Avatar 2).