Alli

Babylon - Damien Chazelle; Margot Robbie; Brad Pitt | Paramount | December 23, 2022 nationwide

3 hours ago, Eric The Last Airbender said:

finally, after 3 or so months of marketing, they managed to sneak in 1 funny joke into the promos

On 12/18/2022 at 2:22 AM, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

64% is quite bad for a movie that is made for the academy.  The numbers will get a lot worse once more reviews come, it will probably end up with a 45-55% score.

Not a complete disaster like Amsterdam, but still a critical failure and yet another commercial flop for Margot Robbie; thankfully she has Barbie coming up to save her from being labeled as box office poison.

agree- terrible for an oscar bait movie. this isnt a big budget tentpole action movie.

Edited by Halba

14 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

She's no Emma Stone or JLaw, but she reminds me of Cameron Diaz from the late 90s/early 2000s.

agree. similar. diaz was fine in the mid 90s- the mask etc.

Edited by Halba

this movie seems way too horny for me to feel comfortable watching with other people, BR2049 as far as im willing to go with that kind of thing

any idea how long paramount usually waits to send things to digital?

44 minutes ago, Lucas said:

babylon.png

It's been going back and forth for a bit now. It probably won't hold on to fresh for much longer and slip into the mid 50s.

Expected. 

It might also receive an F cinemascore, and I'm pretty sure the audience score will be in the 30 % or so. If it flops at the b.o. like it's supposed to I seriously doubt it will earn any major nomination at the AA, though we have seen commercial flops+critical flops still receiving some love from the academy (extremely loud etc... comes to mind)

1 hour ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Expected. 

It might also receive an F cinemascore, and I'm pretty sure the audience score will be in the 30 % or so. If it flops at the b.o. like it's supposed to I seriously doubt it will earn any major nomination at the AA, though we have seen commercial flops+critical flops still receiving some love from the academy (extremely loud etc... comes to mind)

I don't think it's boring enough for an audience that it'll flat out receive an F cinemascore. There's too many wild shenanigans going on with gag after gag that it should be a hoot for many. A lot of the issues I agree with the critics on are mostly things a regular movie-going audience won't immediately think about (except the length and that the second half looses steam).

On 12/17/2022 at 12:22 PM, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

64% is quite bad for a movie that is made for the academy.  The numbers will get a lot worse once more reviews come, it will probably end up with a 45-55% score.

Not a complete disaster like Amsterdam, but still a critical failure and yet another commercial flop for Margot Robbie; thankfully she has Barbie coming up to save her from being labeled as box office poison.

I mean…

j2GVZtD_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

12 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean…

At 419 reviews Babylon will be rotten and at around 45-50%. Bohemian Rhapsody was also a commercial success and a crowd favorite, Babylon will bomb at the B.O. (it's bombing so hard already that they aren't even revealing its previews numbers) and score low with the GP. 

21 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean…

relevance? no meaningful analysis provided. You do realise, that has 419 reviews. Babylon would be in the 40s after so many reviews. Also the biopic of freddie mercury of queen, one of the most famous rock stars and bands from the 80s. Some of the songs are simply world renowned in pop culture, leading to a massive commercial success.

Who does babylon have? What songs, popular ones does it have?

Currently 55% and dropping fast.

Edited by Halba

8 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

At 419 reviews Babylon will be rotten and at around 45-50%. Bohemian Rhapsody was also a commercial success and a crowd favorite, Babylon will bomb at the B.O. (it's bombing so hard already that they aren't even revealing its previews numbers) and score low with the GP. 

agree. bomb of the year. excessive runtime and very poor RT score. Robbie will still do well in Gerwig's Barbie, but she has a lot of misses to her name to go with her successes

As per California Film Commission, makers spent around $110 million to produce the film, and leaving the break-even aside, due to the lack of buzz and being an R-rated film, collecting only $100 million over a lifetime run is currently impossible for ‘Babylon’. The lifetime gross expectations from ‘Babylon’ are at $20-35 million and $50-60 million globally, which means ‘Babylon’ is going to be a box office disaster and a total loss for makers and distributors.

As studios only share roughly 47% of the Global box office gross, the studio will only get $23m. add in costs of marketing $20-30m, they are looking at a massive financial disaster of nearly $100m! Streaming pay per view wouldn't cover that gap as reception is extremely poor and the subject is too niche. what were they thinking? Chazelle is done imo.

Edited by Halba
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Halba said:

agree. bomb of the year. excessive runtime and very poor RT score. Robbie will still do well in Gerwig's Barbie, but she has a lot of misses to her name to go with her successes

As per California Film Commission, makers spent around $110 million to produce the film, and leaving the break-even aside, due to the lack of buzz and being an R-rated film, collecting only $100 million over a lifetime run is currently impossible for ‘Babylon’. The lifetime gross expectations from ‘Babylon’ are at $20-35 million and $50-60 million globally, which means ‘Babylon’ is going to be a box office disaster and a total loss for makers and distributors.

As studios only share roughly 47% of the Global box office gross, the studio will only get $23m. add in costs of marketing $20-30m, they are looking at a massive financial disaster of nearly $100m! Streaming pay per view wouldn't cover that gap as reception is extremely poor and the subject is too niche. what were they thinking? Chazelle is done imo.

Bomb of the year? Nah. Doesn't that title go to Strange World?

Edited by Verrows