Alli

Babylon - Damien Chazelle; Margot Robbie; Brad Pitt | Paramount | December 23, 2022 nationwide

The script has been online for years and (IMO) has been terrible for years. I don't know why people relied on screening reports when it is the very rare case we can go directly to the source. Same with all the early early hype for Don't Worry Darling, which also had an abysmal script.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

The script has been online for years and (IMO) has been terrible for years. I don't know why people relied on screening reports when it is the very rare case we can go directly to the source. Same with all the early early hype for Don't Worry Darling, which also had an abysmal script.

but there was hype coming from some of the few insane people that read the script, and thats where the "legend" was born

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

but there was hype coming from some of the few insane people that read the script, and thats where the "legend" was born

Some people may well like it, it just isn't for me. All of it feels like a 12 year old trying to be edgy. It's debauchery without any point or purpose. And I'm no prude!

Also, Robbie is a very, very bad choice for the lead as put on script. Like Harley Quinn turned up to 1000x. Stone maybe could have saved it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Stone can be actually comedic unlike Robbie, from the script it looked like it was written with her in mind. Guess she dodged a bullet by not doing this lol.

Yes, I've been saying this for a while, Stone is just a more versatile/gifted actor. I'm ready to bet that Lanthimos"Poor things" will be a great (if controversial) movie and a perfect leading role for her: the fact that she is signed for Lanthimos "And" already makes me really optimistic about the quality of the project.

Margot is extremely beautiful (probably the most beautiful mainstream actress working right now), but I can see hollywood pushing her to the sidelines if "Barbie" doesn't end up as a huge hit, given that her streak of conseutive flops is quite impressive at the moment.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

50 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Because the script is different from the final movie which people saw at test screenings and liked. Paramount also wouldn't have held a screening so early with social media reactions allowed if the buzz wasn't positive

• Like 1

Scott Mantz was right afterall. 

For me, Damien has made only 1 truly good film..Whiplash.

LA LA land is indulgent musical nonsense saved by the leads.

First Man is boring space drama on astronaut.

This one is wannabe disaster.

He needs to go back to his roots and do something personal on a tiny budget.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I remember The Wolf of Wall Street having very divisive social media reactions (too vulgar/excessive/long and glorifying crime/bad people), but it had Leo and the premise had more appeal to general audiences.

Obviously, they thought they really had something with Babylon, with the social embargo being so far out from the release date. It'll be interesting to see how Paramount pivots from here...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

39 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It doesnt really sound like Robbie is a problem at all from the previews (nor from the trailer imo), so not sure why everyone is harping on her. Stone is a better actress sure but it seems like the film has much bigger issues anyway, happy she's on Poor Things instead tbh.

Yeah, I’m really confused as to why we’re going after her. Her ink seems fine so far (we’ll see what it’s like when the actual reviews come in). Seems like the issues folks are having with this all fall on Chazelle’s doorstep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I remember The Wolf of Wall Street having very divisive social media reactions (too vulgar/excessive/long and glorifying crime/bad people), but it had Leo and the premise had more appeal to general audiences.

Obviously, they thought they really had something with Babylon, with the social embargo being so far out from the release date. It'll be interesting to see how Paramount pivots from here...

The reviews itself shouldn't be so bad, the people who liked it, really loved it 

And i suspect the bad reactions will translate more to 50-60 grades reviews than 20-30 pans

• Like 1

I get the obituaries about its box office prospects, but I 'm still hoping it could be a good or even great movie.

I 've read only the start of the script and just by that I was pretty sure that this wouldn't be an across the board critic praised oscar juggernaut. It seems like it might be too bloated for some, too unnecassarily R or faux edgy for others but I'm still hyped even by the bad reactions. Doesn't feel like like another Amsterdam even if it flops at the bo just as bad.

After Barry Jenkins Lion King 2 and Greta Gerwig's Netflix Narnia movie, maybe it's time for Chazelle's Ninja Turtles reboot. 

Are this and TGM Paramount's only awards players this year? What is the future of their prestige films going to look like anyway, since Apple is doing the heavy lifting with KOTFM, and the Gianopulos slate is almost done?

7 hours ago, Eric Killmonger said:

Was thinking Netflix miniseries, but he already did that. Probably some Apple TV show that nobody but my mom will ever watch. Pretty sure my mom is the only person in the world who watched Bad Sisters.

🤣 Nope, they're two of us. (And I loved it.)