Alli

Babylon - Damien Chazelle; Margot Robbie; Brad Pitt | Paramount | December 23, 2022 nationwide

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm pretty sure a lot of people will remember and rewatch one of the most important texts to understanding one of the most important and influential filmmakers. It's kinda like saying no one will remember Amarcord or David Copperfield.

i doubt it, Spielberg WSS hasn't gained much traction and was his best film since Munich

21 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I don't see anyone outside of film twitter talk about First Man and even on there it's not popular like say, BR2049 lol. Most people even forgot there was a WSS remake released last year.

The Nice Guys is still the most talked about Gosling bomb and for good reason ,its great

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

You could smell this coming from a mile away as soon as those reactions dropped but man this doing less than $400 PTA on Boxing Day? Yikes. I would argue this one of the worst box office bombs ever made. 

Edited by Fanboy

it's unfair but it's also because she had this and Amsterdam back-to-back. very similar type of prestige movie failures. This could have been a career ruining year for her but Barbie will be a hit so she'll bounce back quickly. maybe stop chasing the Oscar.

On 12/27/2022 at 4:36 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Nahhh. I'm sure this is a fun time and might make some good twitter gifs, but First Man is literal poetry. It's gonna get a reclamation and it's gonna get one hard.

I liked First Man, being a Space Travel freak, but it's not going to be that well remembered, it's only OK.

It aint going t o have reclamation the way that "THe Right Stuff" did.

The most damning thing I have read repeatedly about this movie is it seems to have little feel for the period the film is set in, and the charecters act like modern celebs instead of a celeb in the 20's and 30's. If true, that is a major reason for the tepid critical reception.

The past is like a foreign country, they do things differently there. And filmmaker of period films should always remember that.

God I hope every single one of the self felating Hollywood love letter movies continue to fail. And they will this is the kind of crap streaming and the pandemic killed off for good. 

Margot Robbie’s world class string of failures continues as well. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

Yep she's been chasing that Oscar high since I, Tonya. I wouldn't be so sure about Barbie being a massive success based on film twitter, but she will be fine even if it bombs. Acting-wise she may not be as gifted as her peers but she's like Hollywood's favorite blonde they had been waiting on for decades!

Robbie's in the new Wes joint coming out this summer too so she will have worked with four notable directors in the span of less than 10 months. She'll be fine. The flopping of these movies isn't at all her fault anyway (especially not Amsterdam, which was sold as a full blown ensemble piece).

2 hours ago, Nikostar said:

Nobody goes to see a movie because Robbie is in. Great actress but she has no boxoffice draw appeal at all.

not a shock, cause less than 5 actress have any box office appeal at all , and all in certain roles, most are just added value

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

11 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's unfair but it's also because she had this and Amsterdam back-to-back. very similar type of prestige movie failures. This could have been a career ruining year for her but Barbie will be a hit so she'll bounce back quickly. maybe stop chasing the Oscar.

will Barbie Be a hit? Trailers views aren’t amazing and audience seems uncertain (how many adults will want to watch a Barbie movie?)

On 12/29/2022 at 3:10 PM, HesAPooka said:

Robbie seems to be getting most of the heat in the press for this failure. Pitt's PR team working overtime to make sure it doesn't land on him.

I doubt it has anything to do with Pitt's PR team, any media outlet knows they get way more clicks by dragging a young, attractive female celebrity's name into the headlines vs a man, even if he's well known. A famous woman publicly failing (or being in a real or imagined controversy) is like catnip to certain groups of people: it gets lots of engagement from the side roasting her and the defense brigade standing up for their girl. That tactic will never change as long as people keep falling for it.

With Babylon, Pitt also skates some blame for this one flopping because he's been in two other movies this year that crossed $100m domestic. And despite the billing on the posters, Margot is a lead (along with Diego Calva, but he's not that famous). The questions of whether Robbie is a draw are going to come up, even though it's a different time and her star vehicles are a lot more challenging and esoteric than romcom star vehicles of the aughts like Maid in Manhattan or The Proposal. Moviegoing has changed; it's hard for anyone who got famous in the last 10-15 years to be a consistent draw outside of established IP (and maybe the franchise is the real draw).

Anyway, just got out of theater and there's a better movie within that three hours, and that ending... Singin' in the Rain by way of Boogie Nights but over three hours long, that's just not for the general public in the 2020s, even if it had starred Leo and been directed by Nolan instead. My own screening started with six people and ended with two, by the time "The End" appeared on screen...and that's the reception among people who showed up!

I don't get angry about these supposed "Aren't movies magical?" movies, but the thing is, these directors have already conveyed that message a lot better through their other movies? Ultimately, Whiplash is going to be remembered a lot more fondly than Babylon overtly trying glom onto the reputation of certified classics.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 3:27 PM, HouseOfTheSun said:

God I hope every single one of the self felating Hollywood love letter movies continue to fail. And they will this is the kind of crap streaming and the pandemic killed off for good. 

Margot Robbie’s world class string of failures continues as well. 

I have not seen Babylon and so won't comment on it; but I don't like blanket condemnation of a whole genre of moves.

There have been some pretty damn good "Hollywood on Hollywood" movies; "Sunset Boulevard" "Singing In The Rain"

"The Bad and the Beautiful" and the first two...1937 and 1954 "A Star Is Born" come to mind.

• Like 2

i actually dug the movie, i was thinking maybe it could still sneak in for best picture but probably for the best that it didn't, they would've just been clowned for it but now it can be an "underrated gem". i hope at least it wins for best score it's the only one of those nominees where the music stood out at all. 

• Like 1