Alli

Babylon - Damien Chazelle; Margot Robbie; Brad Pitt | Paramount | December 23, 2022 nationwide

12 hours ago, Flopped said:

So weird to me how "critics" nowadays are basically just stan accounts who somehow got approved for RT. Roger Ebert is spinning in his grave.

That's actually one of the reasons why RT ratings for MCU flicks as so high. A lot of RT "critics" are comic book fan sites and stan accounts who review only comic book movies and in most cases positively unless it's something like Trank's F4, so comic book movies can get 20-30% higher average RT percentage than other movies, it's a big difference.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Flopped said:

So weird to me how "critics" nowadays are basically just stan accounts who somehow got approved for RT. Roger Ebert is spinning in his grave. 

Thank you - it's so embarrassing. Film Twitter is honestly the most annoying thing to happen to the industry. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Firepower said:

That's actually one of the reasons why RT ratings for MCU flicks as so high. A lot of RT "critics" are comic book fan sites and stan accounts who review only comic book movies and in most cases positively unless it's something like Trank's F4, so comic book movies can get 20-30% higher average RT percentage than other movies, it's a big difference.

WHich is why any early reponse for a "Geek" genre movie should be taken with a ton of salt. The fanboys always are first out the door; they don't take the time to actually write a good review, they just post fanboy crap.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Thank you - it's so embarrassing. Film Twitter is honestly the most annoying thing to happen to the industry. 

If twitter vanishes, I would overall be a good thing.

People can find other ways to keep in touch..you know ways that might actually make you think before you send a messafe.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dudalb said:

WHich is why any early reponse for a "Geek" genre movie should be taken with a ton of salt. The fanboys always are first out the door; they don't take the time to actually write a good review, they just post fanboy crap.

Yeah, at times it feels like those first reactions to comic book movies are written by bots, exactly the same posts over and over again.

• Like 1

I know Im late but I just saw the reactions.

Would it be fair to say the movie sucks but the people posting the reactions are too cowardly to outright state it sucks in case actual critics give it high praise come real review time and they're exposed for being uncultured social media shills that they are, thus leading to phrases like: "gloriously bombastic", "boldly incomprehensible", and "a purposeful, ambitious mess" etc?

Edited by AJG

On 11/22/2022 at 11:59 AM, AJG said:

I know Im late but I just saw the reactions.

Would it be fair to say the movie sucks but the people posting the reactions are too cowardly to outright state it sucks in case actual critics give it high praise come real review time and they're exposed for being uncultured social media shills that they are, thus leading to phrases like: "gloriously bombastic", "boldly incomprehensible", and "a purposeful, ambitious mess" etc?

The reactions have been very mixed. Critics reviews may be harsher but I think it’s safe to say it chazelle weakest film

Edited by Nikostar

30 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I saw it tonight

lol

The final sequence will BREAK Twitter. I'm still in awe 

way of water - babylon double features?

that a good lol or a bad lol?

On 11/19/2022 at 1:57 PM, CaptNathanBrittles said:

The characters are acting like they're from 2020, not 1920.

That is one concern I have, the charecters seem too modern,TO use a famous quote:

The past is like a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Edited by dudalb

On 11/22/2022 at 10:06 AM, Jake Gittes said:

No, since you haven't seen it. You're welcome. Also a number of actual critics in NYC have seen it and wrote positively about it.

And some have not, the critics seem to be split on the movie. Which makes me more anxious to see it.