Alli

Babylon - Damien Chazelle; Margot Robbie; Brad Pitt | Paramount | December 23, 2022 nationwide

38 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Forget Robbie, this is a serious speed bump for Chazelle. First Man was an epic flop, now this. LA LA LAND was 6 years ago. 

First Man was a miss, not an epic flop , Babylon is the epic flop , but kudos for Paramount for sticking with it and not selling to a streamer and letting the director release his basically unaltered cut

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

First Man was a miss, not an epic flop

It was an epic flop. The follow up to La La Land w/ the director & lead was barely a blip on the 2018 radar and left zero pop culture impact. 

First Man wasn't an epic flop but it was a huge disappointment and coupled with Babylon most assuredly flopping, I agree that the shine is completely off of Damien Chazelle. Which is fine with me because I think he's massively overrated. I think that Babylon flopping wouldn't be as big a deal if the reviews were great. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

at the long term this will be way more discussed and remembered than First Man 

Nahhh. I'm sure this is a fun time and might make some good twitter gifs, but First Man is literal poetry. It's gonna get a reclamation and it's gonna get one hard.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nahhh. I'm sure this is a fun time and might make some good twitter gifs, but First Man is literal poetry. It's gonna get a reclamation and it's gonna get one hard.

Probably, it's a good movie. 

Idk, i just feel divisive movies usually are embraced with more passion when it's revaluated so Babylon will be his cult classic.

First Man is a respected project since it dropped, despite the flop.

• ...wtf 1

On 12/24/2022 at 5:18 PM, Ryan Reynolds said:

the last decade of Oscar best pictures have had zero cultural impact , so not saying much

It’s really bad for them. I don’t think I’ve ever actually heard someone say the title “CODA” out loud. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ended up really loving this. It's such a big, go-for-broke swing, and it mostly connects. And damn, Damien Chazelle still knows how to end a movie.

I'm kinda baffled as to how this ended up being so wildly polarizing with critics. If the whole movie had been like the opening half-hour, I'd get it, but it mostly settles down after that point.

CODA is like, i know people who would love that movie but i can't even recommend it to them because i know they'll just blow it off when they ask where to watch it and i tell them it's on a streaming service they don't have. if it was a netflix movie it would maybe have a decent reputation instead of no reputation. even when it won it made zero headlines because of the Will Smith thing dominating the news.

41 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

it will be remembered more than The Fabelmans , no one will rewatch that years from now

I'm pretty sure a lot of people will remember and rewatch one of the most important texts to understanding one of the most important and influential filmmakers. It's kinda like saying no one will remember Amarcord or David Copperfield.