TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I just got this feeling that MCU kind of peaked with Infiity War with the Endgame follow up.

If Phase 4 wants to get back on track then I think 150m is a must

NWH just released in pandemic and almost grossed 2B without China. I find it hard to believe that MCU has peaked. Even DS:MoM opened ~190M and would have easily crossed 200M OW and much bigger total if reception was great. Only 1-2 movies have been a  disappointment because of mixed to poor reception. Not to mention there's no Avengers movie yet

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nero said:

NWH just released in pandemic and almost grossed 2B without China. I find it hard to believe that MCU has peaked. Even DS:MoM opened ~190M and would have easily crossed 200M OW and much bigger total if reception was great. Only 1-2 movies have been a  disappointment because of mixed to poor reception. Not to mention there's no Avengers movie yet

Secret Wars could very well challenge End Game's OW

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nero said:

NWH was a special case, for obvious reasons. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

NWH was a special case, for obvious reasons. 

Doesn't matter if it's a special case or not. Who's to say there won't be any special cases going forward? There can be other factors too. There's also new X men , fantastic four and lot of new things going forward

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Personally I think 2h:15m is ideal for these kind of movies, enough time for bonds and connections to form without feeling overlong. 

Under two hours it starts to feel rushed.

Especially we have so many characters added, including those from GOTG, in Thor4. 

• Like 1

As for runtime debate, a Marvel movie which wasn’t even an MCU movie just under 4 years ago, had a runtime just under 2 hrs and had damn good pacing and time to flesh out the central characters. Said movie was also easily the best Marvel movie. I’m pro-shorter runtimes so long as it works, I don’t why Thor or tbh a wide majority of CBMs couldn’t do just under 2 hours runtime so long as the narrative fits and there’s no reason to suggest why it can’t for this one. MoM’s problem wasn’t that it needed a longer runtime for multiverse rules but rather they absorbed a bit too much of the runtime and made parts drag.

Edited by YourMother

I think most people aren’t even thinking beyond 4th of July plans at this point. Especially since this is the first summer where covid is basically “over” in the sense that no one is trying anymore. But this should be one of the more walk up heavy MCU movies since you really don’t need to know anything beyond where Thor is after Endgame (a movie basically everyone on earth has seen). 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I just got this feeling that MCU kind of peaked with Infiity War with the Endgame follow up.

If Phase 4 wants to get back on track then I think 150m is a must

Back on track? What evidence is there that its not on track? Marvel has two 150+ opening in a row and MOM will lose the billion barely cause of china.

Whst other franchise can hit 3 (possible 4 if bp 2 performs normally) 150+ openings in the span of 10 months?

Star wars cant do it, james bond cant do it, dc cant do it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jeight said:

Back on track? What evidence is there that its not on track? Marvel has two 150+ opening in a row and MOM will lose the billion barely cause of china.

Whst other franchise can hit 3 (possible 4 if bp 2 performs normally) 150+ openings in the span of 10 months?

Star wars cant do it, james bond cant do it, dc cant do it.

black widow, eternals and shang-li, what other mega franchise could hit these 3 movies of this quality in a row.. probably star wars actually lmao

you are right though, spidey and dr stranged did really well

• ...wtf 1

After Age of Ultron flopped with a measly 191M OW and a disastrous 1,4B WW a lot of people here declared that the MCU peaked with The Avengers and that it would be downhill from there. Especially after Ant-Man managed only a tiny 500M gross worldwide right after Ultron.

Thats why i cant take the "MCU peaked already and its losing steam" talk really seriously. NWH just grossed a near-Endgame amount of money DOM and nearly 1,9B WW and a Doctor Strange + Scarlet Witch movie did also nearly a billion.

The MCU is here to stay as the biggest franchise for atleast the next 5 years imo and probably long after that as well.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

black widow, eternals and shang-li, what other mega franchise could hit these 3 movies of this quality in a row.. probably star wars actually lmao

you are right though, spidey and dr stranged did really well

Im perplexed on what quality ypu are referring exactly? Movie quality? Cause 2/3 are well received by both audiences and critics?

Could it be box office? Shang chi songle handily held the fall and winter lineup from moving including venom, nttd, Eternals and nwh among others. And all those movies had asterisks due tot he pandemic.

Nothing indicates that yhe mcu isnt on track.

48 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

After Age of Ultron flopped with a measly 191M OW and a disastrous 1,4B WW a lot of people here declared that the MCU peaked with The Avengers and that it would be downhill from there. Especially after Ant-Man managed only a tiny 500M gross worldwide right after Ultron.

Thats why i cant take the "MCU peaked already and its losing steam" talk really seriously. NWH just grossed a near-Endgame amount of money DOM and nearly 1,9B WW and a Doctor Strange + Scarlet Witch movie did also nearly a billion.

The MCU is here to stay as the biggest franchise for atleast the next 5 years imo and probably long after that as well.

People keeo missing the point on why multiple mcu movies per hear havent caused fatigue yet. Its called 14 year old investment in this world. They have grown up with this world, they have followed this world and they feel rewarded in the end even though they might not have loved every movie. This is why movies like Endgame, civil War, Avengers, nwh, and Infinity War are key for the sustainability of the mcu.

The audience has known so far that eventually the mcu will deliver and they want to see how the universe progresses. Its why i dont take seriously the "who cares about crossovers, i just want good movies". Its the crossovers that will ultimately provide the investment and the payoff. No solo movie has a chance of reaching 2.8 billion on its own.

57 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

NWH and Doctor Strange 2 had interesting hooks that created excitement . I’m curious to see the box office of ones are basically just “another Thor movie” or “another Ant Man movie”  

Edited by John Marston

Every Marvel thread sounds like Grace Randolph lately "200OW and 1B WW is the only way I will call it success"

4 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Marvel is kind of lucky BW, Eternals and Shang Chi opened when they did cause expectations were definitely lower with covid. If they were opening after NWH blew the roof off then they would’ve had to live up to a lot higher predictions. 

What? Shang Chi would have done way better on normal times... Maybe not domestic but way better internationaly.

And if anything BW hype died because all the COVID delays, without COVID BW was going to have a great date, China release and not double streaming release... BW hype from the first trailer was huge.

Edited by Fox20
  • Like 3