TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

Agreed. As everyone pointed out, and Menor confirmed, reaction was better than DS2 but in reality it turned out worse. DS2 started with mid 7s on IMDB and gradually fell to 7.1. L&T started with 7.1 is already down to 7.0. It'll keep going down cause that is the way with IMDB. DS2 also has much higher User score on Meta, 6.1 from 681. L&T's dropped from yesterday's 5.6 to 5.5. 

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Agreed. As everyone pointed out, and Menor confirmed, reaction was better than DS2 but in reality it turned out worse. DS2 started with mid 7s on IMDB and gradually fell to 7.1. L&T started with 7.1 is already down to 7.0. It'll keep going down cause that is the way with IMDB. DS2 also has much higher User score on Meta, 6.1 from 681. L&T's dropped from yesterday's 5.6 to 5.5. 

I can’t recall exactly but I think AoU early reactions also gave off a waaaay more positive vibe than it’s overall reception too. Maybe when it’s a direct sequel to an extremely beloved film, people just wanna believe so badly it’s just as good the second time around?  

13 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I can’t recall exactly but I think AoU early reactions also gave off a waaaay more positive vibe than it’s overall reception too. Maybe when it’s a direct sequel to an extremely beloved film, people just wanna believe so badly it’s just as good the second time around?  

There's that too for sure. In denial that the followup isn't that great. Meaning take BP2 and Avatar 2 reactions with extreme caution. They are followups to Best Picture nominees, so a lot of people want them to be that great and maybe even repeat the feat. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There's that too for sure. In denial that the followup isn't that great. Meaning take BP2 and Avatar 2 reactions with extreme caution. They are followups to Best Picture nominees, so a lot of people want them to be that great and maybe even repeat the feat. 

Counterexample though, Guardians 2 first reactions were mostly accurate to the critical reception it got (maybe a touch high but nothing close to the disconnect L&T had). But I do think there is something to that hypothesis. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

This scene breakdown they did for Vanity Fair, literally wtf was anyone awake at the wheel for the making of this movie???

Contrast that to the one he did for Ragnarok years ago... 

There are rumors out there and I'm not sure if the specific rumors are true but I do think Waititi adopted a crazy lifestyle (constant drugs and parties and stuff like that) after he became big in Hollywood.

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

On Marvel subreddits and Marvel fans on Twitter, they keep saying things like “it’s not supposed to win Oscars!” Or “it’s supposed to be a comedy”.

I mean “it’s supposed to be a bad movie” is not exactly a ringing endorsement. 

Which is weird cause this franchise has done plenty of fun comedies including Ragnarok that are critical and popular hits? lol

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

There are rumors out there and I'm not sure if the specific rumors are true but I do think Waititi adopted a crazy lifestyle (constant drugs and parties and stuff like that) after he became big in Hollywood.

Sure, but you'd still expect Kevin Feige to have control over the situation. 

Just feels there is a lack of engagement with the most recent Marvel properties.

I feel after Eternals, Strange and Thor have really made fans feel less excited about the future.

Marvel needs to recover with a genuine hit, the fans will just fall away and that base is so important to any franchise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

COVID makes it harder to control and Taika is an Oscar winner now. Feige probably allowed him less of a leash after the success of Ragnarok. The rumor is that he's trying to be less hands on

I hope he's learned his lesson that just cause someone has Oscars doesn't mean they can be left alone with $200m+. The absolute irony of Chloe and Taika making the most negatively received MCU films in nearly a decade. 

The way people talk about Taika is so weird. The people who see him as some sort of queer icon film god are weird and the people who demonize him and spread unsubstantiated rumors just because they didn't like a movie that he directed are weird. He's neither demon nor Angel. We are just talking about movies here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The way people talk about Taika is so weird. The people who see him as some sort of queer icon film god are weird and the people who demonize him and spread unsubstantiated rumors just because they didn't like a movie that he directed are weird. He's neither demon nor Angel. We are just talking about movies here.

It's been weird for a while tbh, even back when he was the indie director everyone loved, there was some creepy fetishization going on. He's basically the only A-list indigenous filmmaker so people got unhealthily attached to him as an icon and like one of the few conventionally hot directors out there. 

Some of it is probably explained by the fact that his fanbase now is unusually young, like a lot of these are girls who have just moved past their Harry Styles craze probably. And of course that kind of fanbase usually butts heads with the hipster 30-40 film dudes who basically have disdain for that kind of fandom. 

14 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

taika became an ego maniac

Stop this hyperbole.  Evidence for any unprofessionalism in his working environment??  All because some comic book sequel does $10 million less than fans predicted OW?  ...Hilarious...and sad.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

And?  What's your point?  He knows where his bread is buttered for Marvel projects -- he knows the Director will usually not get Final Cut.  It's a collaboration between the studio, producers, and filmmakers.  

Edited by Macleod