TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Kinda ignoring all the other nominations, including the ones for a show currently filming it's second season. "Low viewership" based on what? Samba TVs small sampling of American audiences? You're going to need a lot of spin to try to say Ms Marvel isn't a hit. When it's gotten better reviews than WandaVision. If history holds then Ms Marvel will be picking up several nominations as well.

i don't hear fans calling Ms Marvel the best of the MCU , it seems more charming than good to me, it definitely seems like mcu version of dc's shazam, which those craving more mature themes will dismiss the show entirely

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Since this is BOX OFFICE forums, i don't think people care much about a TV Series.

Movies is the MCU's main thing, they can make tons of series with 100% Rt, it doesn't Matter, but if they are going wrong with movies then it matters.

The movies and TV shows are connected so it's absolutely relevant. The Marvels stars two actors who originated from the TV series, Doctor Strange heavily involves plot threads from WandaVision, so yes they do count.

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Kinda ignoring all the other nominations, including the ones for a show currently filming it's second season. "Low viewership" based on what? Samba TVs small sampling of American audiences? You're going to need a lot of spin to try to say Ms Marvel isn't a hit. When it's gotten better reviews than WandaVision. If history holds then Ms Marvel will be picking up several nominations as well.

Doesn't change the fact that MCU is primarily a theatrical franchise and they're struggling in this subject. 

Of course we have to worry about this, the franchise can't afford the type of reception Eternals / DS2 / Thor gets so often.

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The movies and TV shows are connected so it's absolutely relevant. The Marvels stars two actors who originated from the TV series, Doctor Strange heavily involves plot threads from WandaVision, so yes they do count.

It's not the point that are they relevant or not..... MCU is Marvel CINEMATIC Universe. 

TV Series are just complimentary services, movies are their Main Products, they can do anything they want with tv series, but if they are going wrong in movies then it is a matter of concern.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Christ all this doom and gloom bitterness is exhausting. The MCU just released it's best reviewed thing in it's entire existence and picked up a whole bunch of Emmy noms and youd think there's protests in the streets with how people are mad on here.

Ms Marvel is not close to its best reviewed thing. Before you tout that 98% on RT around, TV shows are rated differently than movies and it much, much easier to get above 90%. Also the Emmy nods were all below the line nods which they were certain to get due to being big budget genre shows. It's like getting nominated for VFX at the Oscar's.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i don't hear fans calling Ms Marvel the best of the MCU , it seems more charming than good to me, it definitely seems like mcu version of dc's shazam, which those craving more mature themes will dismiss the show entirely

i watched the first 2 episodes. It's cute, her character is really likeable.

Saying that it's a CW super hero series with better production values. The critics reception is ridiculous like everything Marvel.

The same pilot on CW and not connected to the MCU and not more than 70% on RT. 

35 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

RT TV critics would give 100% to 45 minutes of a seal clapping.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Doesn't change the fact that MCU is primarily a theatrical franchise and they're struggling in this subject. 

Of course we have to worry about this, the franchise can't afford the type of reception Eternals / DS2 / Thor gets so often.

Exactly, this is also a fundamentally different kind of franchise from things like Transformers, F&F, Jurassic World, etc. where reception is kind of irrelevant and the fans are literally just there to see things explode. MCU fans are used to 14 years of pretty consistent quality and well thought-out storyline. There's a reason why they never had a rotten on RT film until 2021 and the fact that now we have not only a rotten film, but then 2 mixed/polarizing films back to back... all from usually reliable directors, two of whom are Oscar winners even. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 8:41 AM, Manny G said:

It’s crazy how gullible and easy to manipulate fans can be. Whatever happened  to critical thinking?  Do you people genuinely believe that you’re better at these stuffs that people that work more than 15 hours a day on it. Internet culture really messed up the perception of the industry.

anyway,

Taika was very unprofessional during production. He was  doing way too many takes and filming off scripts sequences. He over filmed and even let the budget balloon. Marvel Studios reeled it in to pull a focused  2 hour picture out of it, because a lot of the footage was unusable in the constraint  of the MCU anyway.

Agree with your first point...but do we seriously have any evidence for your second assertion? 

I mean from the Hollywood TRADES, not "ComicBookFanboy.com"  

15 hours ago, Halba said:

Main issue. One of the greatest actors of modern cinema- Bale is completely wasted. He has screentime absolute of less than 7-8minutes effective.  Bale probably got pays atleast 2-3million for under 10minutes.  The cash is going to marvels heads. They are wasting it.   That's turd like. 

Really???  Disappointing.  

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

As mentioned here already, TV shows are rated by critics completely differently than movies. Most are based on the first 2-3 episodes. It's like reviewing a movie based on its first act... This is even more egregious with these D+ shows because, as Kripke said, they are stretching material thin and pretending it's a very long movie rather than a show. So that 98% means fuck all. 

I would put far more stock in viewership though. It definitely FEELS like it's the least talked about Marvel show. And on a personal level, I loved the first episode but by the halfway point of the second I was scrolling on my phone. Completely lost me and I have zero interest in going back. That's a major issue with all their shows to be honest. They're horribly paced and tend to feel small and restricted in a way that makes no sense given the budget (it's the same or worse with the Star Wars shows) and they rarely manage to hook me from episode to episode. 

I think the brand being diluted with too many niche shows and lack of focus in the theatrical releases as well does pose a risk for Marvel. It's still way too early to tell one way or another, but if BP2 drops significantly, it will be difficult to avoid the appearance of things going off the rails. But I suppose Guardians 3 is on the horizon... 

8 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Regarding viewership. The Nielsen charts is a good reference. Unfortunately its not great for Ms Marvel so far. It’s debuted at #10 which was the lowest debut for a MCU show then dropped out of the top 10 all together in its second weekend. It could get back up of course, but so far it’s the first MCU show to drop out of the top before finishing its run. Note that Nielsen data comes 4 weeks later.

Edited by Manny G
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

As far as I'm concerned Marvel fans don't care about maturity. The most mature stories (Civil War, F&WS) in the MCU have gotten a mixed response from the fanbase. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ms Marvel is not close to its best reviewed thing. Before you tout that 98% on RT around, TV shows are rated differently than movies and it much, much easier to get above 90%. Also the Emmy nods were all below the line nods which they were certain to get due to being big budget genre shows. It's like getting nominated for VFX at the Oscar's.

98% with 8.20/10 average rating is very good even by TV standards. I'm pretty sure big budget genre shows don't automatically get technical nominations just by being big budget genre shows lol

22 hours ago, dax33 said:

98% with 8.20/10 average rating is very good even by TV standards. I'm pretty sure big budget genre shows don't automatically get technical nominations just by being big budget genre shows lol

RT is a total joke for tv reviews , no one seriously thinks Ms Marvel is as good as shows like Severance

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Driver said:

As far as I'm concerned Marvel fans don't care about maturity. The most mature stories (Civil War, F&WS) in the MCU have gotten a mixed response from the fanbase. 

Civil War didn't have a mixed response from the fanbase, it was more the GA that was cool to it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

RT is a total joke for tv reviews , no seriously thinks Ms Marvel is as good as shows like Severance

No one seriously thinks TFA is better than The Shining either. I get thinking RT as whole is a joke, but only for shows? nah

If there's MCU problem post Endgame, I'd say it's delegation of duties. D+ made overseeing by one unifying figure impossible, so you can feel that people who oversee different parts of MCU or projects are kinda pursuing their interests rather than interest of the whole. And they may not be as good at creating the synergy of talent's signature style and MCU needs so we get the feeling of "director is let loose to do whatever he wants". 

• Like 4

I see this as a growing pains issue. Doing more stuff means they're letting directors have more leeway. Also doing more stuff means by law of averages there's just going to be things that some people don't like that others will. Between and covid productions just been a bit tricky, but once things stabilize (specifically now that almost all their productions that were impacted by covid are complete) I think people will see thaibrecent turbulence as a blip on the radar. Even with a 68 drop it's still likely to pass Ragnarok WW

• Like 1