TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah it's disappointing it wasn't the other way around. i'm sure james gunn would've come up with something more fun for Thor to do than Taika did for the Guardians (by which i mean better than basically nothing).

Yeah and it also makes way more sense to add one character to a group dynamic like the guardians vs add 5 characters to a Thor movie.  

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

I don’t remember that but GotG3 was absolutely supposed to come out before this, it was originally supposed to be May 2020… it just made so much sense as a post-Endgame adventure. Gunn was literally working on it just after Infinity War. It’s a shame we never got a full Asgardians of the Galaxy movie after the set up we got in Endgame. 

It's a shame we never got that, yes, but no way that Gunn would have had Thor in GotG3 beyond a small appearance at the start. 

Edited by reddevil19

2 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

I find the idea that Marvel Studios insisted on a 2 hour time limit hard to believe considering how many MCU movies are over two hours.

Maybe they insisted because some people over them insisted. 

2 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

I find the idea that Marvel Studios insisted on a 2 hour time limit hard to believe considering how many MCU movies are over two hours.

I think they start insisting when the longer version is a mess and possibly even worse. They certainly had no problem with Endgame being 3 hours long. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Manny G said:

Taika was very unprofessional during production. He was  doing way too many takes and filming off scripts sequences. He over filmed and even let the budget balloon. Marvel Studios reeled it in to pull a focused  2 hour picture out of it, because a lot of the footage was unusable in the constraint  of the MCU anyway.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, p a p i said:

Maybe they insisted because some people over them insisted. 

I find it equally hard to believe that Disney would insist on Marvel insisting on the movie being under 2 hours. What @Rebeccas says makes more sense, if the longer cut was basically full of crap, making the movie pretty much DOA already, then they might just want to throw something short together and call it a day. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

idk why it's so hard to believe taika was just fucking around on this production and maybe not 100% focused on work... i mean we all saw the pap photos lmao. i like him and want him to make good movies again but not gonna deny his lifestyle has taken a significant turn since he was doing ragnarok. 

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I find it equally hard to believe that Disney would insist on Marvel insisting on the movie being under 2 hours. What @Rebeccas says makes more sense, if the longer cut was basically full of crap, making the movie pretty much DOA already, then they might just want to throw something short together and call it a day. 

I can totally see that honestly. Don't let Taika write anything else for Marvel. 

I think it's time to admit MCU needs to hang its hat for a bit. It's becoming a bit bloated and convoluted after Endgame. It seems to be directionless. No cohesion. A bunch of isolated planets with no star to keep them in orbit (ie Robert Downey Jr.). There's a lack of old school charisma. I don't know. I'm sure many people feel the same way. Quantity over quality.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

I think it's time to admit MCU needs to hang its hat for a bit. It's becoming a bit bloated and convoluted after Endgame. It seems to be directionless. No cohesion. A bunch of isolated planets with no star to keep them in orbit (ie Robert Downey Jr.). There's a lack of old school charisma. I don't know. I'm sure many people feel the same way. Quantity over quality.

I think they might need to speed up bringing the big guns they got from Fox into the MCU. I understand Fantastic Four will probably get underway before too much longer, but would not be surprised if X Men gets moved on sooner then Feige had  planned .

On 7/14/2022 at 7:46 PM, reddevil19 said:

Exactly this. It's what, about a dozen of their movies that are around 135 minutes or longer? Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think that 15 extra minutes would be enough or that a movie needs to be long to be good. 

But clearly you need a tight script for a tight runtime, or you're left with a rushed film or collection of bad SNL sketches, as is the case with Love and Thunder. 

There's a lot of jokes that could be trimmed, add more scenes for Gorr, but even then I think the problems here are way too wide-spread. The whole thing seems to have been badly conceived and executed. For all its faults, I can see the intent behind Externals and the seeds of interesting themes and grander plot threads. I get nothing out of Love and Thunder. I'm just baffled at how bad this was. 

Anyway, I don't like to dwell too much on the negatives when it comes to forums, as it will inevitably lead to arguments, so that's all I'll say. After Ragnarok hit such a good balance, I'm just bewildered at how this turned out. 

Main issue. One of the greatest actors of modern cinema- Bale is completely wasted. He has screentime absolute of less than 7-8minutes effective.  Bale probably got pays atleast 2-3million for under 10minutes.  The cash is going to marvels heads. They are wasting it.   That's turd like. 

Edited by Halba

13 hours ago, Halba said:

Main issue. One of the greatest actors of modern cinema- Bale is completely wasted. He has screentime absolute of less than 7-8minutes effective.  Bale probably got pays atleast 2-3million for under 10minutes.  The cash is going to marvels heads. They are wasting it.   That's turd like. 

If Lena Headey got $7m for THOR there's no way Christian Bale only got $2-3m.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Christ all this doom and gloom bitterness is exhausting. The MCU just released it's best reviewed thing in it's entire existence and picked up a whole bunch of Emmy noms and youd think there's protests in the streets with how people are mad on here.

Emmy nods for cartoon voices, a tv show with low viewership

• Like 1

Real news is Chris Hemsworth can't even sell a Marvel movie. 😅

A new Thor and  probably would have made the same amount of money as post avengers movie.

At this point these kind of numbers are really the average or even the bare minimum for a marvel movie. 

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Christ all this doom and gloom bitterness is exhausting. The MCU just released it's best reviewed thing in it's entire existence and picked up a whole bunch of Emmy noms and youd think there's protests in the streets with how people are mad on here.

Since this is BOX OFFICE forums, i don't think people care much about a TV Series.

Movies is the MCU's main thing, they can make tons of series with 100% Rt, it doesn't Matter, but if they are going wrong with movies then it matters.

36 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Emmy nods for cartoon voices, a tv show with low viewership

Kinda ignoring all the other nominations, including the ones for a show currently filming it's second season. "Low viewership" based on what? Samba TVs small sampling of American audiences? You're going to need a lot of spin to try to say Ms Marvel isn't a hit. When it's gotten better reviews than WandaVision. If history holds then Ms Marvel will be picking up several nominations as well.